Quick help: montego bay or grand cayman tender ports?

spleenstomper

Thanks, trying to put together excursions

We were in both ports several years ago on the Magic.

If my memory is correct Jamaica was not a tender port but Grand Cayman was.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If my memory is correct Jamaica was not a tender port but Grand Cayman was.

Correct :)

Montego Bay is a bit sketchy for my taste. Our tour bus drivers kind of posted themselves along the main shopping street watching out for problems. A man got off the tour bus downtown at an ATM - even with the tour guide accompanying him he was agressively approached by a hooker.

If I wasn't going on a excursion I'd take a taxi to the Hip Strip

Then I found this article when using Google for Montego Bay. You may want to search further.:eek:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/americas/jamaica-montego-bay-emergency-tourists-intl/index.html

Jan 20, 2018 ... British and Canadian authorities are warning their nationals visiting Jamaica's Montego Bay to limit their movements following a state of emergency over violence and shootings in the tourist hotspot.

Tourists visiting Jamaica's Montego Bay have been urged to stay in their resorts after authorities declared a state of emergency and deployed the military.

We did those ports last year. I would not do anything but a Carnival excursion in Montego Bay. Talked to several on the ship afterwards and there were some pretty sketchy experiences.

The tender in Grand Cayman is not a long ride.

Don't be scared away from Montego Bay by inexperienced/biased people. It's one of our favorite ports. We always visit the Hilton Rose Hall through Resort for a Day. Absolutely amazing. In Grand Cayman, you can't beat taking a cheap taxi to Seven Mile Beach. (Royal Palms.) Have a great cruise!

The travel warnings are usually dealing with people getting out away from the tourist areas, into smaller towns, or into large cities where crime is high. The cruise port areas are usually safe as long as you aren't drunk and waving around large wads of cash. That is true in any city in US. Just use common sense.

Montego Bay - we did a zipline excursion and stopped at Margaritaville before returning to ship. Zero issues, found people actually very nice, just say no thankyou and keep walking if a vendor comes up to you.

If you are nervous about Jamaica, just do an excursion, either thru your ship or private vendor. It is a beautiful country and it is a shame to miss it. Great food, too.

We spent a couple of hours sitting in traffic in Mobay, not a good experience. Definitely do the ship sponsored excursions there. Grand Cayman is very easy to navigate on your own though. The tenders drop you off right in the middle of downtown where lots of buses and cabs are waiting.

So a note about the buses. They aren't like the buses you are probably used to. They are more like van taxi cabs and they run a regular route that's very affordable. However there are also people driving the same types of vans that are "tour guides" but not official city buses. We went to Caybrew and were quoted $15 per person by one of the port authority workers that flagged down a van for us. Once we actually got into the van though the driver took us there for the bus price and it was $5 for us both. For the ride back we waited at the bus stop outside of the brewery for 15-20 minutes and it was less than $10 for the ride back.

In MoBay we never really felt unsafe. Jumped in a taxi out front of the port and went to Doctor's Cave Beach.

Hello fellow Missourian. :):):):)Mo Bay is actually the only port where I have ever felt unsafe. Some of it was probably that we had DD with us and she was pretty young then (2 or 3). We did Carnival hop on/hop off bus so we never were really in danger, but when we were outside of Doctors Cave Beach there was a guy very aggressively trying to sell drugs to the middle aged ladies in front of us (and they did not appear like they were actively searching). Then at the craft market place, they were super pushy. In one area, the guide was telling us don't go over there- literally across the street, because it was not safe and we might get murdered. Very sketchy. All that said, if we went back to Mobay, I would still get off the ship. Not sure if I would take DD with me or not. Maybe.

The only other time I ever felt even mildly uncomfortable at a cruise port was Ochos Rios because of the pushy vendors. It was not really scary, just that one moment. Ironically, I still say that I LOVE Jamaica and would still go back.

Back to OP- GC is a tender port. Mo Bay- no.