Extra charges on your credit cards?

luv2travel2beaches

In reading the FAQ's thread someone noted that there were extra charges on all of the purchases they made on their credit cards. Has anyone else had this experience? I am wondering if we should use the credit card or get the traverlers checks. Any input would be appreciated. Also....how much were the charges?

I don't recall having an extra charge on my credit card.

I did have one excursion credit that was slow appearing on my ship's "folio", but as suggested above, I do check it during the course of the cruise. I

slow credit did appear near the end.

Hopefully, Princess someday will get an interactive system going on the in-cabin TV.

I have had extra charges added & Purser's office removed them when I complained. Check you bill several times on the cruise.

I don't remember what charges, I know I had soda card taken off, but soda was lousy. My memory is not as good as it used to be, now what were we talking about.

Jim

My understanding from the post on the FAQ thread was that the extra charges on the credit card were for fees for using the credit card in ports and on the ship also. Have any of you found your credit cards to have additional service fees added for using the card? (Sorry I didn't ask the question with more clarity earlier....I was about to leave work for the day)!

I think the extra charge to the credit card was for non-U.S. credit cards(I think it was a conversion charge). Your credit card company may assess extra currency conversion charges in other countries. Such as when we were in French Polynesia.

some credit card companies charge an extra fee if the charge being made to the card is in a different currency.......and Canadians have found that when they use their credit card to pay for their final bill at the end of the cruise, that Princess can (unless you tell them not to) calculate the charge into Canadian $s at a very unfavourable rate to the card holder.

Most Credit cards companies are now charging a "Foreign Tranaction fee" of 2-3% for using your card to purchase in funds other than U.S. Dollars

For Canadians it is add into the the conversion rate but for U.S. they seem to add it as an extra charge after the conversion rate of your purchase.

We had just the opposite problem. Our account did not have the proper charges on it. When I contacted the pursers desk they compared the copies of my purchases and found that my purchases had been put on someone eles's account. They pursers office corrected both my account and the one charged in error.

Our first couple of cruises we kept every receipt onboard and spent the better part of an hour matching up the charges with the bills.

They were always on - to the penny.

Since then we keep track of major purchases and ballpark the amount for comparison. Again, we have never had a problem.

For every one reporting a problem there are probably thousands of passengers who have had perfect accounting.

I don't recall having an extra charge on my credit card.

I did have one excursion credit that was slow appearing on my ship's "folio", but as suggested above, I do check it during the course of the cruise. I

slow credit did appear near the end.

Hopefully, Princess someday will get an interactive system going on the in-cabin TV.

After several cruises with RCI/Celebrity, I will be cruising with Princess for the first time in March. The in-cabin interactive system on RCI for monitoring your account and booking excursions is extremely convenient. Other than going to see the Purser eveyday to check your account, what other means is there to do this on a Princess ship?

I was also very surprised on my Princess cruise in Sept. that there was no interactive TV program for displaying charges. Yes, I saved receipts...but going to the Purser's Offices to verify charges is a total Turn Off. (Was overcharged $10.00 for a watch purchased onboard). I didn't realize the overcharge until I received my final bill, and took my turn in the very long line at the Purser's Desk on the last night. Do any of the Princess "regulars" know why the very convenient interactive TV feature, used by many other cruise lines, is not a Princess inclusive? Sorry, but it just makes no sense to me.

I always take a few envelopes. On them I write "DH's name", "my name" for shipboard receipts. You can write on the outside of the envelope each charge plus the tips for the cruise. If the final balance isn't the same then I do a check of the charges. I also use separate envelopes for "port receipts" and one for "pre and Post cruise" charges.

Most cruises, hotels and rental car agencies post a charge each day over and above actual purchases and drop these charges after a few days. We always have these on our credit card account after we return home, but they are dropped within a week.

I always take a few envelopes. On them I write "DH's name", "my name" for shipboard receipts. You can write on the outside of the envelope each charge plus the tips for the cruise. If the final balance isn't the same then I do a check of the charges. I also use separate envelopes for "port receipts" and one for "pre and Post cruise" charges.

Looks like we are going to have to really cut back on on-board charges just to minimize all the "last night" reconcilliations. For all you Princess regulars, if you do not want to stand in the long line at the Purser's on the last night to sort out charges, will Princess allow you to just phone them at your convenience when you get home, to sort out any issues?

Why not go to the purser's desk 2-3 days prior to disembarking then you just have to check the last 3 days to see if any extra charges occured.

Then you may have to stand in line.

Ummm....think I'm not understanding this post. On Princess, you do not get your final bill until the last evening of your cruise, and are not able to check out your on-board billing via the in-cabin TV. Why on earth would I go to the Purser's Desk 2-3 days prior to disembarking when I don't get my final bill until the last night? I "may" have to stand in line?? Darlin', I did have to stand in line for a very long time!!

In the middle of the cruise, or near the end there is no line.

Jim

"Near the end of the cruise there is no line"????

Must be a cruise illusion/delusion. It would be nice, but realists like me can only surmise that a statement like this can only be found in the Doctoral Theses Dept. at the University of Mars.

Archived