Why the hatred for "O"

jenp123

For some people to be able to tell their friends they sailed with O, makes them feel special. I recall a night many years ago after a concert in our hometown we dined with the group Sly and the Family Stone. Yes our young daughter noticed them about four tables away, so yes we dined with them same difference.:D

Good story. By that logic I had breakfast with Leo McKern once. At work we used to swap stories like this under the heading of "famous people I almost knew."

Oprah has a following, and if it pleases them to sail with her (she did, what, 4 days of the 1-week Alaska cruise?), that's OK with me. I'm not a fan or a hater of Oprah, but I would hope that people sail on "O" cruises for the experience not the bragging rights. I find the obsession with celebrities disturbing--little girls wanting to dress like a Kardashian, etc. But the idea of a cruise with a celebrity isn't something HAL invented. There are cruises with sports figures, Broadway performers, etc. The Inspiration cruises tout the speakers and singers who will be on their cruises. Maybe these aren't celebrities on the scale of Oprah, but they attract customers.

Okay... so what does that have to do with this discussion exactly?

If it's any of your business, I was responding to a post by OlsSalt where he/she said that Oprah is famous because of her private jet, or something to that effect.

Are you the forum monitor who tells us what we can or cannot post?

Roz

How can you tell if your cruise is an "O" cruise? Would it have been included in the cruise documentation and e-mails sent?

Thanks!

The cruise O herself took was last summer. According to HAL's website, the two cruises that will have appearances by O magazine editors and "thought leaders" (I'm sorry, but that sounds like brainwashing!!! :eek:) will be Alaska 8/11/18 and Caribbean 10/28/19.

It also says that other cruises will have O-themed activities (no celebrities, just onboard activities) through December 2018. So I wonder if the contract with her ends then and the O-activities will end?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=SharetheAdventure_Partnership&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&ICID=H_Oprah_US

The cruise O herself took was last summer. According to HAL's website, the two cruises that will have appearances by O magazine editors and "thought leaders" (I'm sorry, but that sounds like brainwashing!!! :eek:) will be Alaska 8/11/18 and Caribbean 10/28/19.

It also says that other cruises will have O-themed activities (no celebrities, just onboard activities) through December 2018. So I wonder if the contract with her ends then and the O-activities will end?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=SharetheAdventure_Partnership&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&ICID=H_Oprah_US

Awesome thank you! I'll have to read that book. It looks like a fantastic read!

I cannot imabine 'O' thoughtl eaders will not be advocating her pesonal political views. Some of us might not wish to make it an obligagion of our cuise to avoid them and maybe ? public discussions at pools and in loung es and their lectures.

I don't think thought leaders have any place on any cruise I may wish to enjoy.

OP's use of the word "hatred" is, in and of itself, an encouragement to further inflame. I don't read any of the Oprah non-supporters as "hating" her. The negative posts reflect disinterest and sometimes dislike, but "hatred" is too strong a word and unnecessary. I don't understand OP's purpose in using it.

OP's use of the word "hatred" is, in and of itself, an encouragement to further inflame. I don't read any of the Oprah non-supporters as "hating" her. The negative posts reflect disinterest and sometimes dislike, but "hatred" is too strong a word and unnecessary. I don't understand OP's purpose in using it.

Then you obviously didn't read all of the posts before the threads were cleaned up by the moderators. There was hatred Venom just flying off the fingers of a couple of posters. Quite shocking.

I agree, the word hatred is going way too far. People like something or they don't like it. Oprah has brushed shoulders in the political world and as soon as that happens , using her as a figurehead causes some friction.

If it's any of your business, I was responding to a post by OlsSalt where he/she said that Oprah is famous because of her private jet, or something to that effect.

Are you the forum monitor who tells us what we can or cannot post?

Roz

I included the WSJ article link establishing in Oprahs' own words her preference for luxury private jet travel.. Did you read it ? That is how connections are made. I don't recall Oprah demonstrating any personal travel preferences for mid-market cruising before this current HAL branding onslaught.

This luxury private jet travel connection also ties into the WIKI link I provided about celebrity branding, and what can make it successful or unsuccessful. Also very good reading if you are looking for greater connections to comments and the full range of discussion on this obviously interesting topic.

Again, after reading that WIKI article, my vote for HAL "branding" would be Rick Steves - and since he markets travel gear as well, a "Rick Favorite Things" shop would be more appealing to with me if we now are stuck with this new trend for celebrity branding - make it topical, make it connect to the industry. Not just a personal vanity life style exposure.

Might be time to also see if you can find that thoroughly cringe-worthy recent Celebrity Apprentice program where CLL CEO Donald Arnold set out the task to the two celebrity apprentice teams - come up with a marketing campaign that addresses potential cruise customers three biggest factors they determined made them resistant to cruising. Anyone recall what those three things were? How did those three factors play into HAL's decision to go with Oprah branding?

Recap of the the CCL Celebrity Apprentice with shows the dangers of mixing politics and business - an anti-Trump groups threatened to boycott all CCL products unless CCL terminated its association with Trump produced Celebrity Apprentice.

Does any one really need this stuff to intrude on their vacation plans? https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/celebrity-apprentice-episode-6-recap-cruising-for-a-bruising-121449486.html

No, I didn't read the article. I stand by my original statement that most people know Oprah thru her talk show, not thru a WSJ article about private jet travel.

Roz

No, I didn't read the article. I stand by my original statement that most people know Oprah thru her talk show, not thru a WSJ article about private jet travel.

Roz

it would be interesting to compare the numbers who watch her daytime TV program to those who read the WSJ. Or which group has the better economic to entice to make this expensive foray into celebrity branding a good risk for HAL to have taken. Did HAL assume they had more future customers to harvest from the daytime TV crowd than they did from the WSJ? Probably.

Let's hope there was a little market research that went into this decision - CLL CEO Donald did brand HAL as "midwestern". Does that term best describe the daytime TV crowd? I don't know. I don't watch daytime TV.

Try "Ma'am." Hardly an insult.

Thank you for correcting my spelling error. As many here have noted, I make many typos siince I hurt my left hand many months ago It is actually healing, though way too slowly. I thought most here had noticed my current susceptibility to typos seeing how many have made so many biting sharp comments.

it would be interesting to compare the numbers who watch her daytime TV program to those who read the WSJ. Or which group has the better economic to entice to make this expensive foray into celebrity branding a good risk for HAL to have taken. Did HAL assume they had more future customers to harvest from the daytime TV crowd than they did from the WSJ? Probably.

Let's hope there was a little market research that went into this decision - CLL CEO Donald did brand HAL as "midwestern". Does that term best describe the daytime TV crowd? I don't know. I don't watch daytime TV.

I thought she r gave up her daily afternoon show...... I have not looked for it, msised or know if she is even on tv anymore but for an occassional guest appearance.

I agree, the word hatred is going way too far. People like something or they don't like it. Oprah has brushed shoulders in the political world and as soon as that happens , using her as a figurehead causes some friction.

Thank you for this post. I don't hate her, and would not waste energy hating most anyone. that I have never met and likely never will.

I thought she r gave up her daily afternoon show...... I have not looked for it, msised or know if she is even on tv anymore but for an occassional guest appearance.

It ran for 26 seasons from 1986 to 2011 out of Chicago. Now she has her own network. OWN

I hope “Mam” is a misspelling. If not, highly inflammatory if short for “Mammy.” I trust it is not. We are all, hopefully, better than

Originally posted by sail7seas And the reason she would ener this alliance with HAL? I doubrt any of ust hink she neeeds money from us cruisers........ ;) How many billions are enough billions? I have yet to figure out what HAL gets out of this, let alone Mam, "O"

I hope “Mam” is a misspelling. If not, highly inflammatory if short for “Mammy.” I trust it is not. We are all, hopefully, better than that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many here have ecommented often enough about my typos for the last many months since my left hand was injuured....... ENOUGH that most here know I make typos and I would guesss you may also know...... So thank you for correcting my typo even if you might have been a bit softer in doing so..The fact I make typos comes as no surprise to most here. My left hand is actually healing though extremely slowly.:o

Why the hatred for "O"

Originally posted by sail7seas And the reason she would ener this alliance with HAL? I doubrt any of ust hink she neeeds money from us cruisers........ ;) How many billions are enough billions? I have yet to figure out what HAL gets out of this, let alone Mam, "O"

I

Many here have ecommented often enough about my typos for the last many months since my left hand was injuured....... ENOUGH that most here know I make typos and I would guesss you may also know...... So thank you for correcting my typo even if you might have been a bit softer in doing so..The fact I make typos comes as no surprise to most here. My left hand is actually healing though extremely slowly.:o

I

Sail - I hope you didn't think my post about "Ma'am was intended as a correction to your spelling. It was intended as an enlightenment to the poster suggesting questionable meanings.

Sail - I hope you didn't think my post about "Ma'am was intended as a correction to your spelling. It was intended as an enlightenment to the poster suggesting questionable meanings.

Seeing I am the 'poster' you reference above.

I don't care if one corrects my spelling. I know I still make typos despite trying hard to not do so My left hand is very slowly hesling, and maybe one of these days, the typos will stop. What I do not like was the inference of that ugly word. I did not feel that was approrpriate or in any way necessary. Correct the spelling, fine but stop at that IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Well said.

I dont care for Oprah but certainly do not hate her. Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s her highly rated talk show was popular for exploring a wide range of human interest topics. I watched the show off and on, depending on the topic.

Her corporate partnership with Holland America is unpopular because Oprah politicized herself, roughly ten years ago. She became a celebrity spokesperson for political candidates. Now she gives interviews discussing whether she wants to run for President.

Many of us are sick to death of endless political spin, on both sides of the political spectrum. I don’t want to see Oprah’s face on a cruise ship. I don’t want to see Trump’s face or any politician’s face on a cruise ship.

Sail 7 Seas, your posts are fine.

Well said.

I dont care for Oprah but certainly do not hate her. Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s her highly rated talk show was popular for exploring a wide range of human interest topics. I watched the show off and on, depending on the topic.

Her corporate partnership with Holland America is unpopular because Oprah politicized herself, roughly ten years ago. She became a celebrity spokesperson for political candidates. Now she gives interviews discussing whether she wants to run for President.

Many of us are sick to death of endless political spin, on both sides of the political spectrum. I don’t want to see Oprah’s face on a cruise ship. I don’t want to see Trump’s face or any politician’s face on a cruise ship.

Spot on.

Well said.

Sail 7 Seas, your posts are fine.

Sammie Dawg, it was very kind of you to write that and i thank you. i t is very appreciated, I hate the trypos as much as anhyone else and hope my hand fully recovers soon.

I keep expecting I'll be thrown off CC becuse of all my typos . I try to correct them but there are too many and it exhausts me.

Edited by sail7seas

Sammie Dawg, it was very kind of you to write that and i thank you. i t is very appreciated, I hate the trypos as much as anhyone else and hope my hand fully recovers soon.

I keep expecting I'll be thrown off CC becuse of all my typos . I try to correct them but there are too many and it exhausts me.

You will not be thrown off cruise critic. Keep posting, ignore the occasional nasty comment thrown your way.

You will not be thrown off cruise critic. Keep posting, ignore the occasional nasty comment thrown your way.

i have too much 'real life' stuff' to deal with to let the nasties ruin even one day. Your support is wonderful and oh so welcome. I would miss CC but.................... oh well, hope I don't get tossed out. :)

I have chosen to think the nasty comments from the usual players, says far more about them than me.