Why the hatred for "O"

jenp123

I agree, the word hatred is going way too far. People like something or they don't like it. Oprah has brushed shoulders in the political world and as soon as that happens , using her as a figurehead causes some friction.

Well said.

I dont care for Oprah but certainly do not hate her. Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s her highly rated talk show was popular for exploring a wide range of human interest topics. I watched the show off and on, depending on the topic.

Her corporate partnership with Holland America is unpopular because Oprah politicized herself, roughly ten years ago. She became a celebrity spokesperson for political candidates. Now she gives interviews discussing whether she wants to run for President.

Many of us are sick to death of endless political spin, on both sides of the political spectrum. I don’t want to see Oprah’s face on a cruise ship. I don’t want to see Trump’s face or any politician’s face on a cruise ship.

Sail 7 Seas, your posts are fine.

Both Posts hit the nail on the head! (y)

Yes, Sail, :) your Posts are fine!

Remind me how that is supposed to market a travel industry cruise line? Only 17% of the top 1% US wealth is inherited. The rest are all rags to riches stories. Is she now selling on-board business courses?

What is it about the daytime TV crowd that makes them potential cruisers on HAL ships - someone in HAL management obviously must know this is a great untapped economic force. I don't watch daytime TV so I don't know what other cruise lines already buy advertising on these shows.

I think Rick Steve's would have been a better fit for HAL He is already known for seeking value-based travel opportunities, global exploration and has a popular book devoted solely to cruise ship travel.

I'm betting HAL wouldn't meet Rick's expectations for quality of accommodations/food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I included the WSJ article link establishing in Oprahs' own words her preference for luxury private jet travel.. Did you read it ? That is how connections are made. I don't recall Oprah demonstrating any personal travel preferences for mid-market cruising before this current HAL branding onslaught.

I actually read your post (which now seems to have been removed) with the quote from Oprah which you culled from the WSJ article. I had two thoughts about it, which -- since you bring it up again -- I'll share:

First, I found it very interesting (and telling) that you chose to truncate and misrepresent the quote from Oprah. Here are the actual words from WSJ, taken from a commencement address that Oprah had given recently:

"It’s great to have a nice home that just escaped the fire in Santa Barbara,” she told the students. “It’s great to have a private jet. Anyone that tells you that having your own private jet isn’t great is lying to you.”

She went on to explain that “you haven’t completed the circle of success until you help someone else move to a higher ground and get to a better place.”

Second, it's clear from reading the WSJ article that the author of the article was engaging in a common newswriter's practice of starting their story -- which was really about the state of the private jet industry -- with a recent and attention-getting anecdote or news event, commonly known as a news peg. It really had little to do with Oprah.

(And I'd have to agree with several others that if you went up to a thousand random people and asked them what Oprah was best known for, their answer would not be her preference for luxury private jet travel....:rolleyes:)

I actually read your post (which now seems to have been removed) with the quote from Oprah which you culled from the WSJ article. I had two thoughts about it, which -- since you bring it up again -- I'll share:

First, I found it very interesting (and telling) that you chose to truncate and misrepresent the quote from Oprah. Here are the actual words from WSJ, taken from a commencement address that Oprah had given recently:

"It’s great to have a nice home that just escaped the fire in Santa Barbara,” she told the students. “It’s great to have a private jet. Anyone that tells you that having your own private jet isn’t great is lying to you.”

She went on to explain that “you haven’t completed the circle of success until you help someone else move to a higher ground and get to a better place.”

Second, it's clear from reading the WSJ article that the author of the article was engaging in a common newswriter's practice of starting their story -- which was really about the state of the private jet industry -- with a recent and attention-getting anecdote or news event, commonly known as a news peg. It really had little to do with Oprah.

(And I'd have to agree with several others that if you went up to a thousand random people and asked them what Oprah was best known for, their answer would not be her preference for luxury private jet travel....:rolleyes:)

Spot on. Great post. And I’m a guy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Silly me, but live next to one of the very upscale communities where Oprah has one of her many houses, and she reputedly jets into our small airport when she visits from time to time. In fact it is a running local joke when we see them land in our little burg. Often she comes into town to do political fund-raisers. She keeps her life private in this larger community, which is okay. She earned the right to be left alone. Hopefully, that explains why the private jet connection readily skews my own perception of Oprah Winfrey.

The main point however was, if you want to read the WKI pros and cons about celebrity marketing, the more successful celebrity branding campaigns are when the celebrity already has a prior association with the touted industry. HAL cruise lines, or even cruising on any brand ship, comes in a lot lower as a popular connection with the Oprah brand than does her association with luxury private jet travel.

Those of us who do not know her from daytime TV, are exposed to her in the news today just as often when she jets to and from her global real estate holdings with her entourage of celebrity friends that help make the headlines for her. Is her branding benefit to HAL "glamour travel". That too.

Good story. By that logic I had breakfast with Leo McKern once. At work we used to swap stories like this under the heading of "famous people I almost knew."

Oprah has a following, and if it pleases them to sail with her (she did, what, 4 days of the 1-week Alaska cruise?), that's OK with me. I'm not a fan or a hater of Oprah, but I would hope that people sail on "O" cruises for the experience not the bragging rights. I find the obsession with celebrities disturbing--little girls wanting to dress like a Kardashian, etc. But the idea of a cruise with a celebrity isn't something HAL invented. There are cruises with sports figures, Broadway performers, etc. The Inspiration cruises tout the speakers and singers who will be on their cruises. Maybe these aren't celebrities on the scale of Oprah, but they attract customers.

Leo McKern! Did you meet him on a cruise/crossing? Was he anything like Rumpole? I hate the overuse of the word "amazing", but I am amazed to find his name here. What a treat! (Excuse me but this is drift-worthy. ☺️ )

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
Emoji issues

Well said.

I dont care for Oprah but certainly do not hate her. Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s her highly rated talk show was popular for exploring a wide range of human interest topics. I watched the show off and on, depending on the topic.

Her corporate partnership with Holland America is unpopular because Oprah politicized herself, roughly ten years ago. She became a celebrity spokesperson for political candidates. Now she gives interviews discussing whether she wants to run for President.

Many of us are sick to death of endless political spin, on both sides of the political spectrum. I don’t want to see Oprah’s face on a cruise ship. I don’t want to see Trump’s face or any politician’s face on a cruise ship.

Sail 7 Seas, your posts are fine.

Yes, love the chance to disconnect. Each day is just overload, stimulation, blaring headlines, one bad thing after another. It goes to OFF onboard.

That said, HAL the last few years has been experimenting in adding corporate tie in onboard experiences and events, and this is probably for the better overall. It attracts new and repeat cruisers with something new to try. Like Lincoln Center or BB Kings; they are there for people who want to experience them. If not, no worries. It is better than not offering any educational program, IMO.

Yes, love the chance to disconnect. Each day is just overload, stimulation, blaring headlines, one bad thing after another. It goes to OFF onboard.

Agree with that. A cruise should minimize similarities to standing in line at a store, seeing the all-too-familiar faces on the tabloids.

Leo McKern! Did you meet him on a cruise/crossing? Was he anything like Rumpole? I hate the overuse of the word "amazing", but I am amazed to find his name here. What a treat! (Excuse me but this is drift-worthy. ☺️ )

I didn't really meet him. We were staying in a hotel in Richmond, outside London. One morning, we sat down for breakfast, and when I looked up, he was a few tables away, glasses on his nose and doing the crossword in the newspaper. I would love to have said hello and asked for an autograph, but breakfast is a sacred meal. I could never disturb someone at breakfast. Hoped I might see him around the hotel, but never did.

Just found this thread and was hoping it was about the Cirque du Soliel show "O" possibly coming to HAL. How disappointing to learn otherwise.

Or confusing folks here by erroneously using the CC moniker "O" (for Oceania or the type of its two "larger" 1100 passenger ships) for some daytime TV staple.

Or confusing folks here by erroneously using the CC moniker "O" (for Oceania or the type of its two "larger" 1100 passenger ships) for some daytime TV staple.

And lest we not forget the anime cartoon "The Big O."

I hope he would be more like Number 2. Alas I am nothing close to being Number 6.

I was on the March 3 - 10 "O" cruise on the NA. It was still the usual cruise experience that we always have. There were no disruptions or annoyances due to this. When we booked, we had no idea it was to be an "O" cruise. What I did like were the "pillow" gifts from Oprah every night. We got a nice canvas book bag, body spray, 2 enormous good quality Land's End towels, and a book. The running joke going around the ship was when do we get our new car? Still waiting Oprah...

I was on the March 3 - 10 "O" cruise on the NA. ........ The running joke going around the ship was when do we get our new car? Still waiting Oprah...

Did anyone consider how much extra weight and space those "gifts" would add to most people's already over-stuffed suitcases? More disconnect between the Oprah brand and the actual art of cruising. We had the same problem after a Back of the House ships tour and they handed out those heavy HAL cookbooks as part of the $150 deal - we had to leave them behind since there was not an extra ounce to spare. Thanks for the warning if anyone else does an Oprah tour.

Be careful what you wish for category: From 2004, Oprah's "free" car giveaway: Kind of. But you still come out ahead if you can quickly sell it or you ready to buy a new car anyway.

...."But now some of those eager prize-winners have a choice: Fork over $7,000 or give up the car.

According to a spokeswomen for Harpo Productions Inc., Oprah's company, the recipients must pay a tax on the winnings, just like any prize.

For a brand new Pontiac G-Six, the model given away on the show, the sticker price is $28,500. The $28,500 would need to be claimed as income so, depending on the individuals tax bracket, the tax could be as high as $7,000. And that was after Pontiac agreed to pay most of the local charges, including state sales tax and licensing fees.

The Harpo Spokeswomen said winners had three choices. They could keep the car and pay the tax, sell the car and pay the tax with the profits or forfeit the car. "

Did anyone consider how much extra weight and space those "gifts" would add to most people's already over-stuffed suitcases? More disconnect between the Oprah brand and the actual art of cruising. We had the same problem after a Back of the House ships tour and they handed out those heavy HAL cookbooks as part of the $150 deal - we had to leave them behind since there was not an extra ounce to spare. Thanks for the warning if anyone else does an Oprah tour.

Be careful what you wish for category: From 2004, Oprah's "free" car giveaway: Kind of. But you still come out ahead if you can quickly sell it or you ready to buy a new car anyway.

...."But now some of those eager prize-winners have a choice: Fork over $7,000 or give up the car.

According to a spokeswomen for Harpo Productions Inc., Oprah's company, the recipients must pay a tax on the winnings, just like any prize.

For a brand new Pontiac G-Six, the model given away on the show, the sticker price is $28,500. The $28,500 would need to be claimed as income so, depending on the individuals tax bracket, the tax could be as high as $7,000. And that was after Pontiac agreed to pay most of the local charges, including state sales tax and licensing fees.

The Harpo Spokeswomen said winners had three choices. They could keep the car and pay the tax, sell the car and pay the tax with the profits or forfeit the car. "

Canadians are exempt from paying tax on prize winnings.

An experienced traveller will take into account that they will be bringing more home with them than they started with.

Canadians are exempt from paying tax on prize winnings.

An experienced traveller will take into account that they will be bringing more home with them than they started with.

I can hardly wait until I am "a more experienced traveler". Do you think this will come before or after I get my Travel Century Club Silver membership in a few more trips? Or maybe after we finally get to our HAL Gold Medallion after our next cruises. I am always eager to learn new things.

just read the book club thread stating that oh book club and I can't believe how many people are angered by this. It's like everything else on a Holland ship if you don't like it don't participate and don't buy the book. If you don't like BBC don't go to the shows that feature BBC footage.

I was actually on an Oprah cruise by chance, and it did not change anything other that giving people some more lectures during the day to attend (which everyone is always complaining in lacking anyway) I attended one speaker and she was really good and didn' attend any other ones.

If you didn't like Oprah themes on the cruise you were in no way affected other than the free book they put on your bed which you could throw out.

totally agree with your points.....some people just want to make HAL GREAT AGAIN..pun intended

For some people to be able to tell their friends they sailed with O, makes them feel special. I recall a night many years ago after a concert in our hometown we dined with the group Sly and the Family Stone. Yes our young daughter noticed them about four tables away, so yes we dined with them same difference.:D
We dined with Orlando Ashford twice ... just not at the same table! :cool:;p

Are you the resident curmudgeon of the HAL board? Everything anyone posts you have to put a negative spin on.

Roz

I was on the March 3 - 10 "O" cruise on the NA. It was still the usual cruise experience that we always have. There were no disruptions or annoyances due to this. When we booked, we had no idea it was to be an "O" cruise. What I did like were the "pillow" gifts from Oprah every night. We got a nice canvas book bag, body spray, 2 enormous good quality Land's End towels, and a book. The running joke going around the ship was when do we get our new car? Still waiting Oprah...

When those like "O fly private, they don't give a thought to the complications and logistics gifts can create for the average schlep who has our suitcases weigh ed and we are limited to how many. What does it mean to her for one of her minions to carry home a large heavy towel? noonne on her 'team of directed thinkers seem to have gIven a though t to the practicalities of the pax getting the 'stuff' home .Doedsn't make me mor e eager to change my opinion of the "O"/ HAL alliance.

Edited by sail7seas