Ncl Butler Tipping

modern

15 minutes ago, Trimone said:

They should be grateful you are stupid enough to cruise in winter with Covid rife… No tip you be thankful you have a job…

I know right cruising is horrible right now.  Oh wait my back to back on the ncl encore with maybe a 1 to 1 passenger to crew ratio is truly horrible.  & being able to get to seats & excursions is awful.  Please everyone stay home.  At home it's much more fun to stiff the grocery delivery people instead.

My current view:

20220114_153246.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I am sorry but I disagree that $10-$20 pppd is a starting point. For example we did not use the butler or concierge service at all, we saw the afternoon snacks being dropped off and it was NOT by our butler, we didn't even use the tea/coffee. We did tip but not $10pppd which would have been $140 for no interaction with us at all!  The butlers are paid to be there anyway (more than the room stewards) so I say tip them based on on how much you use them.

That's great. I was just giving an example, not saying that is what's standard, or should be what you tip. From a starting point, each individual can decide what is right for them. Remember when prepaid tips were not a thing? They gave you guidelines on what to tip. You were free to tip above or below those guidelines. No difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I think people ask because they want to "fit in" and tip what others tip. Instead, people should tip whatever amount that THEY feel is appropriate no matter what others tip.

Why? Are they afraid to tip too much or too little?

It is impossible to under tip someone. Each person decides for themself what is correct. Others can have an opinion that someone under tipped but others don't get a vote since it is neither their money nor their experience.

You (and only you) can decide that without input from anyone on the forum. If every forum member answered "...$100 per person per day..." would the person who asked tip differently? No, the person who asked would tip whatever amount that they thought was appropriate before they asked.

^^^ 100% the correct response to the question.

And that's all your personal opinion. If someone wants a guide, it should be within their realm to ask. People get sick of the tipping threads because there is so much crap to sift through. Just like the Haven threads and the drink package threads. If a person can't add to the discussion, maybe stay quite. What good do the tip what you want or xxxxx isn't worth it to me comments?

3 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

And that's all your personal opinion. If someone wants a guide, it should be within their realm to ask. People get sick of the tipping threads because there is so much crap to sift through. Just like the Haven threads and the drink package threads. If a person can't add to the discussion, maybe stay quite. What good do the tip what you want or xxxxx isn't worth it to me comments?

I want to use the butler & concierge alot.  What could I get them to do? Gf bday is week before our cruise that we potentially could win a bid to get into haven.

Concierge seems to help people spend money/book things?  If we can walk into shows due to lower occupancy & we eat at the haven every night, what could the concierge do for us? I've heard haven is better than specialty dining?  Our package has 2 free specialty meals.  Currently back to back on encore.  We did our first specialty.  Onda, Q, leBistro, & Cagneys these two cruises.  Sooo delicious.  Although we really enjoy going to same waiter in Manhattan mdr.

I plan to tip them.

Maybe have butler teach us how to unpack & pack?  If we get haven we may not go ashore & just hang out in the haven most of the time.  How to dine with them pulling out chairs & napkins & silverware? 

Maybe it's more bring me stuff? Iced tea, cokes, my mask I forgot in room ha. 

From what I've researched butlers will pretty much do anything as long as it isn't illegal & it's not related to child care.  We don't have kids.  & we don't drink alcohol /do anything illegal altho my gf may or may not have brought a shell aboard this cruise ha! 

Neways appreciate hearing any stories where people thought the service from butler/concierge /haven area was outstanding & tipped big. 

23 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

If someone wants a guide, it should be within their realm to ask.

You don't have a guide.

I don't have a guide. 

Why? Because there is no guide. 

If someone asked and 9 out of 10 people on the forum responded with "...$100 per person per day..." would that be "the guide"? No, it would mean absolutely nothing. Just like $1 per person per day means nothing. Just like $5 per person per day means nothing. Just like $10 per person per day means nothing. 

26 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

People get sick of the tipping threads because there is so much crap to sift through.

It's a crap question. Nobody on the forum knows what others will experience with their butler. There is no way for anyone to answer the question for someone else. If the question was "How much do YOU tip?", that would be a very different question than "How much should I tip?"

The 2nd question is simply someone asking for affirmation from random strangers as to what amount is acceptable to those random strangers. 

34 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

If a person can't add to the discussion, maybe stay quite.

In other words, if someone doesn't agree with you, they shouldn't post?....got it. 🙄

43 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

What good do the tip what you want or xxxxx isn't worth it to me comments?

Advising people to tip what they feel is appropriate is infinitely better advice than advising people to tip a certain amount. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The right answer (as always) is tip whomever you want, however much you want, any time you want.  There is no recommended, typical, usual, stipulated, or suggested amount to tip.  What others give and to whom they give it is 100% irrelevant.

You are answering a question asked 4 years ago. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kirk2121 said:

I want to use the butler & concierge alot.  What could I get them to do? Gf bday is week before our cruise that we potentially could win a bid to get into haven.

Concierge seems to help people spend money/book things?  If we can walk into shows due to lower occupancy & we eat at the haven every night, what could the concierge do for us? I've heard haven is better than specialty dining?  Our package has 2 free specialty meals.  Currently back to back on encore.  We did our first specialty.  Onda, Q, leBistro, & Cagneys these two cruises.  Sooo delicious.  Although we really enjoy going to same waiter in Manhattan mdr.

I plan to tip them.

Maybe have butler teach us how to unpack & pack?  If we get haven we may not go ashore & just hang out in the haven most of the time.  How to dine with them pulling out chairs & napkins & silverware? 

Maybe it's more bring me stuff? Iced tea, cokes, my mask I forgot in room ha. 

From what I've researched butlers will pretty much do anything as long as it isn't illegal & it's not related to child care.  We don't have kids.  & we don't drink alcohol /do anything illegal altho my gf may or may not have brought a shell aboard this cruise ha! 

Neways appreciate hearing any stories where people thought the service from butler/concierge /haven area was outstanding & tipped big. 

Actually you want to use them A LOT.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You don't have a guide.

I don't have a guide. 

Why? Because there is no guide. 

If someone asked and 9 out of 10 people on the forum responded with "...$100 per person per day..." would that be "the guide"? No, it would mean absolutely nothing. Just like $1 per person per day means nothing. Just like $5 per person per day means nothing. Just like $10 per person per day means nothing. 

It's a crap question. Nobody on the forum knows what others will experience with their butler. There is no way for anyone to answer the question for someone else. If the question was "How much do YOU tip?", that would be a very different question than "How much should I tip?"

The 2nd question is simply someone asking for affirmation from random strangers as to what amount is acceptable to those random strangers. 

In other words, if someone doesn't agree with you, they shouldn't post?....got it. 🙄

Advising people to tip what they feel is appropriate is infinitely better advice than advising people to tip a certain amount. 

And again, before there were prepaid tips, there was a guide on how much to tip you cabin attendant, server, and maître d. Were those guides useless?

No it's not a matter of if you don't agree, keep quite. If someone is asking for advice on a topic, it's because they want something tangible to use. Responding "it's totally up to you" or "I don't see the point in getting the drink package" doesn't help that person. 

Edited by Hutcha

6 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

Were those guides useless?

Yes, because nobody was required to follow them. Just like they are now, people are free to tip any amount or no amount at all. It is up to the individual. 

6 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

If someone is asking for advice on a topic, it's because they want something tangible to use.

If everyone replied with "...$100 per person per day...", it would be tangible but would it be good advice?

8 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

Responding "it's totally up to you" or "I don't see the point in getting the drink package" doesn't help that person. 

Would the above answer ("...$100..".) help the person? Thinking that giving them a number (which you may or may not agree with) is helpful actually isn't. Advising the person to decide for themself is more helpful since there can be no wrong answer if the individual asking decides on the appropriate amount. 

Giving a specific amount and having the person decide to go higher or lower isn't helpful since the person is actually making a decision on their own, anyway. There's no harm in giving a number ("...$15 per person per day...", for ex.) but people are ultimately going to decide for themself which is the exact conclusion that I am advising in the first place. If people are going to tip whatever amount the forum suggests, I want to see everyone answer with $100 per person per day just to see if anyone asking actually does it (they won't). 

7 minutes ago, Kirk2121 said:

How much too tip the butler to check my spelling/grammar? Lol jk 🙂

You are not new, but you may not be aware of all the forum rules so I am sincerely posting this in an attempt to be helpful.  I know you are just joking, but English is not the first language of everyone on the board, so there is a specific forum rule about not correcting/pointing other posters' grammar or spelling.  Just a heads up before someone reports the post (which could result in a warning for you.)

To stay on topic, while NCL does NOT provide any butler tipping guide, another NCLH cruise line, Oceania, does include butler tips in their fare.  Their butler tips are $7 per person per day more than standard cabins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

You are not new, but you may not be aware of all the forum rules so I am sincerely posting this in an attempt to be helpful.  I know you are just joking, but English is not the first language of everyone on the board, so there is a specific forum rule about not correcting/pointing other posters' grammar or spelling.  Just a heads up before someone reports the post (which could result in a warning for you.)

To stay on topic, while NCL does NOT provide any butler tipping guide, another NCLH cruise line, Oceania, does include butler tips in their fare.  Their butler tips are $7 per person per day more than standard cabins.

I thought someone was correcting my "alot" & that it should be two words "a lot" .  but I'm not 4sure.  Maybe they were just saying i should use the butler/concierge extensively.  Dunno.  so was just joking around with my own grammar.  & with esl, emojis, acronyms, small phone keyboards, etc.  I wouldn't correct anyone's grammar spelling or nething else.

TIPically 🙂I found tip threads to get people riled.  & seems like many people get entrenched in their opinion.

& appreciate the heads up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

The higher amount of the daily fee for suite guests on Oceania is definitely NOT intended to be "the tip" one personally decides to give to a Butler, or any other staff member who provided special assistance/etc., and one wishes to thank with an extra amount.  Isn't there a similar slightly higher daily fee on NCL for suite guests compared with non-suite guests?

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

The higher amount of the daily fee for suite guests on Oceania is definitely NOT intended to be "the tip" one personally decides to give to a Butler, or any other staff member who provided special assistance/etc., and one wishes to thank with an extra amount.  Isn't there a similar slightly higher daily fee on NCL for suite guests compared with non-suite guests?

GC

Think it's like $15.50 pp vs $18.50 pp. 

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

I think you are getting confused trying to compare Oceania gratuities to the NCL DSC (Daily Service Charge.) 

On NCL, there's a daily service charge added to your bill. NCL specifically states that butlers and concierges DO NOT BENEFIT from this daily service charge. 

Oceania is different.  You are automatically charged GRATUITIES  (their words) on your bill.  If you are in a suite with a butler, you are charged $7 additional per person, per day. 

This is not to say that you cannot tip additionally in cash to anyone you want based on the service you receive.  However, I shared the information about Oceana to give people an indication of what a cruise line that DOES include tips considers an appropriate tip for a butler ($7 per person, per day or $112 per couple on a 7-day cruise.)  I think that's a great average to use as a guideline.

1 minute ago, pcakes122 said:

I think you are getting confused trying to compare Oceania gratuities to the NCL DSC (Daily Service Charge.) 

On NCL, there's a daily service charge added to your bill. NCL specifically states that butlers and concierges DO NOT BENEFIT from this daily service charge. 

Oceania is different.  You are automatically charged GRATUITIES  (their words) on your bill.  If you are in a suite with a butler, you are charged $7 additional per person, per day. 

This is not to say that you cannot tip additionally in cash to anyone you want based on the service you receive.  However, I shared the information about Oceana to give people an indication of what a cruise line that DOES include tips considers an appropriate tip for a butler ($7 per person, per day or $112 per couple on a 7-day cruise.)  I think that's a great average to use as a guideline.

It's the same thing, on Oceania or NCL.

That extra amount collected in a "suite" (Haven or not, for NCL) is NOT a "tip for the Butler".

That "tip" is still totally discretionary, and no amount is collected by the cruiseline.

And I'm pretty sure that in both cases, the Butler is not part of the "pool", which is where the "service fee" (with or without the extra "suite" surcharge) goes.  That includes the "behind the scenes" crew (laundry, kitchen, etc.)... but not the Butler (or Concierge).

We cruise on Oceania, in suites.  I can't imagine anyone making good use of a good Butler tipping $7 pp/pd.  We certainly wouldn't consider that small of a "thank you" for the wonderful services we typically receive (on either NCL or Oceania).

Of course, others may find that a suitable amount, and that is entirely their choice.  But it's not an amount "included" by the cruiseline.

GC

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

That extra amount collected in a "suite" (Haven or not, for NCL) is NOT a "tip for the Butler".

That "tip" is still totally discretionary, and no amount is collected by the cruiseline.

And I'm pretty sure that in both cases, the Butler is not part of the "pool", which is where the "service fee" (with or without the extra "suite" surcharge) goes.  That includes the "behind the scenes" crew (laundry, kitchen, etc.)... but not the Butler (or Concierge).

We cruise on Oceania, in suites.  I can't imagine anyone making good use of a good Butler tipping $7 pp/pd.  We certainly wouldn't consider that small of a "thank you" for the wonderful services we typically receive (on either NCL or Oceania).

Of course, others may find that a suitable amount, and that is entirely their choice.  But it's not an amount "included" by the cruiseline.

GC

Sorry. Not the same thing as the NCL DSC (ask your Oceania rep - mine made a point of calling this distinction out without me even asking since she knew I primarily cruised NCL. She wanted to make sure I knew it was different.)

People come here to ask for an NCL butler tipping GUIDELINE.  Sometimes they are thinking of putting in for an upgrade and want to estimate how much additional they would be paying for Haven tips or maybe they are cruising in a suite for the first time.  I've seen ridiculously high estimates here for a supposedly "average" butler tip and I think it scares some people off.  Any butler would be happy to get $7 per person, per day. That's $112 for a couple or $224 a week for a family.  If people can afford more and the service is outstanding, great. But we shouldn't make people feel that if they can't do more than then they aren't doing enough.

9 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

How many suites would an Oceana Butler service?  Someone mentioned 14 irr for ncl.  14 cabins * 2 dbl occupancy * $7pp/d * 7 days = $1,372 - 20% night butler = $1,097/week worked + ncl base pay = not a ton of money for being the best of the best in service industry imo.  & 14 cabins seems high.  & 8 month contracts. Working 7 days a week. How many hrs per day maybe 12? Hopefully get some time off to spend with family.  Although no idea what ncl base pay might be. Lots of unknowns in my calculation.

3 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Sorry. Not the same thing as the NCL DSC (ask your Oceania rep - mine made a point of calling this distinction out without me even asking since she knew I primarily cruised NCL. She wanted to make sure I knew it was different.)

People come here to ask for an NCL butler tipping GUIDELINE.  Sometimes they are thinking of putting in for an upgrade and want to estimate how much additional they would be paying for Haven tips or maybe they are cruising in a suite for the first time.  I've seen ridiculously high estimates here for a supposedly "average" butler tip and I think it scares some people off.  Any butler would be happy to get $7 per person, per day. That's $112 for a couple or $224 a week for a family.  If people can afford more and the service is outstanding, great. But we shouldn't make people feel that if they can't do more than then they aren't doing enough.

7 day cruise would be $98 or $112?  Charging embarkation & disembarkation? 

26 minutes ago, Kirk2121 said:

How many suites would an Oceana Butler service?  Someone mentioned 14 irr for ncl.  14 cabins * 2 dbl occupancy * $7pp/d * 7 days = $1,372 - 20% night butler = $1,097/week worked + ncl base pay = not a ton of money for being the best of the best in service industry imo.  & 14 cabins seems high.  & 8 month contracts. Working 7 days a week. How many hrs per day maybe 12? Hopefully get some time off to spend with family.  Although no idea what ncl base pay might be. Lots of unknowns in my calculation.

Don't forget that the NCL crew members also get room (cabin) and board (meals-beverages)

and other contractual benefits while on board. But perhaps not a consolation from being away

from home with family on a daily basis. 

Depending on how apples oranges apricots pineapples mangos etc fare into this the cruise

line employees may or may not have a better job and working conditions than land based employment.

Tips in any industry are appreciated and augment perhaps a meager income.

Planning a cruise - consider carefully budgeting tips and gratuities into the deal that are not

part of the fare perks bennies bonuses.

You are reading this and should know about how important tipping of cruise line crews is !