Best buffet food you ever had on a cruise, more so the Pride?

LongHill44

I was never very impressed with the main buffet options on Carnival at lunch time. The Chinese section on embarkation day was pretty good, but it was kind of like shopping mall Chinese food. Guys burgers is good, pizza is decent and blue iguana is good.

Breakfast at the buffet is decent- but standard stuff kind of like Shoney's.

Honestly, I have preferred the buffets on Disney and RCL better. Disney had the absolute best. They had crab craws and large peel and eat shrimp, several types of carved meats, Chinese entrees, pasta, meat dishes, etc. But the price on Disney is very high.

Royals buffet was good too. They always had something worth eating. And at dinner time they would have a great sushi selection, steaks, and all kinds of options. We usually had a couple of pieces of sushi and DD might eat something, if she was not going to dinner with us or just needed a "pre-dinner." The last night they had lobster tails on ice and shrimp on the buffet. Maybe crab legs too, not sure. I was busy with the lobster.

Celebrity's buffet was not good. very few options- at least as far as we could see. But they did have a nice sushi selection.

So my ranking right now would be: Disney, Royal, Carnival, Golden Corral, my kitchen at home, and then Celebrity. ;)

What is served at jiji's?
Here is a link for the dinnertime menu at Jiji's. It's 15.00 pp and currently available on the Sunshine, Vista and Horizon. At lunchtime, it's just like Mongolian Wok.https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/ji-ji-asian-kitchen-dinner-menu.pdf

Best buffet was Disney! Only ship to have a full raw seafood bar no additional fee. Also had lollipop grilled lamb chops on the buffet. Yes, it was worth the additional cost. However, we hated the pool and having to dine when, what and where Mickey says to.

On Carnival, my kids love Guys Burgers. I love the soup and salad. The tandoor naan and hummus is incredible. We also love the pizza. I also have to get a taco salad at least once.

Our kids have sailed with Mickey and loved it but cost was higher but not 2-3x higher. You often do get what you pay for.

Currently, on a 6-9 day cruise, the lowest rate for Disney is $162/day, and the lowest rate for Carnival is $64/day. Celebrity, Holland, NCL, and RCI are all in the 70s/80s.

Edited by wytygr8

Interested in knowing what the best food you had at the buffet.

I am curious to try the deli and the Chinese station.

Thanks

I was on the Pride last month. I prefer simple, whole foods with good seasoning (not just salt) but can enjoy a wide variety. I also have a bit of a sweet tooth. Here's some of my thoughts:

• Guys: ok burger - especially for a ship - but very greasy; the fries are very good and I've read that you can get unseasoned (will try this next time); they have potato sticks in their toppings line if you are really craving chips and just want a little taste; long line but quick moving
  • Blue Iguana: my favorite:hearteyes:; great shrimp, taco salads (can get w/o shell too), good breakfasts - arepas and huevos rancheros, not just the burritos; quick moving line
  • Deli: old menu when we were there; long lines and slow moving; good, but rushed so not great
  • Pizza: very good for a cruise ship, but slightly undercooked crust for my taste; medium wait, but they are made to order
  • Chinese: like others have stated - mall/buffet quality, pretty salty; didn't have any soups but they tend to have a few; there are chopsticks available if desired
  • Salad: I'm not a mayo based salad eater but my husband enjoyed; lettuce salad very basic, preferred BI offerings
  • Main offerings: not much appealed, most in heavy sauces so not to my taste
  • Breakfast mains: potatoes consistently good, French toast and muffins also good, generous with bacon; omelet station fairly quick moving - you can get eggs made to order, not just omelets
  • Desserts: ice cream and froyo just ok, slightly off taste; small cookies (pb and chocolate chip) excellent:hearteyes: - I'm usually not into hard/dry cookies but these were really good; most others too rich, and plates were warm causing melting of some desserts

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip:D

They had crab craws ;)

I got a chuckle out of this!:) Did they have Frog Jumping too..... You know crabs can not crawl straight, so hopefully they had a large course. :D:D I guess you had to be there....:cool: