Purchasing internet access...

We have a cruise coming up on the Eurodam and I was told the pricing was sold by minutes. I was wondering if there had been any changes. I hope so because I would like to be able to purchase the unlimited plans. Also, my daughter will want to FaceTime with her child. Will this be possible?

Eurodam was by the minute in Feb-March.

You must not remember when it was common for hotels to charge $10 a day for Internet access.

Actually I do. My solution then (for email) was to connect to cellular on my now grandfathered all-you-can-eat plan. I had no need for internet access for my laptop.

I only want to use email, at a few MB/day.

We have a cruise coming up on the Eurodam and I was told the pricing was sold by minutes. I was wondering if there had been any changes. I hope so because I would like to be able to purchase the unlimited plans. Also, my daughter will want to FaceTime with her child. Will this be possible?

THere were people FaceTiming on Zaandam a few weeks ago. Without headphones.:eek:

The internet packages vary by ship, I guess? When I booked for Zuiderdam I was told it was $250 for 1,000 minutes, was the most you could buy at a time, and there's no option for different speeds of internet. Guess I'll see how it goes :)

The internet packages vary by ship, I guess? When I booked for Zuiderdam I was told it was $250 for 1,000 minutes, was the most you could buy at a time, and there's no option for different speeds of internet. Guess I'll see how it goes :)

Lines are moving from a per-minute pricing model to a daily model with tiers based on the types of web services to be accessed. I understand that the daily pricing tiers require upgrades to a ship's satellite data link to permit higher bandwidth for each user. Expect it to roll out ship-by-ship as each ship's satellite system gets the required upgrade.

Thought I remembered that we get an extra 20 mins if we are a mariner. Unless this was on another line. Does anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

THere were people FaceTiming on Zaandam a few weeks ago. Without headphones.:eek:

Some people just have no class, others are just ignorant, still others are asses no matter what. . . . . .

Thought I remembered that we get an extra 20 mins if we are a mariner. Unless this was on another line. Does anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

This was not a Mariner bonus. It was an incentive to anybody to sign up for the Internet on the first day on board. They don't do that anymore.

I was thinking about purchasing a small internet package but noticed it was not online on the new (and improved - Ha Ha) website. Now I know you can only purchase onboard. I have now figured it is not that important at sea, looking at the prices and I will just talk to Verizon about checking email and phone and text messages while in port only. Will talk to Verizon this week and will try to remember to post here to let folks know what the most current plan is at Verizon, in case someone is interested.

I was thinking about purchasing a small internet package but noticed it was not online on the new (and improved - Ha Ha) website. Now I know you can only purchase onboard. I have now figured it is not that important at sea, looking at the prices and I will just talk to Verizon about checking email and phone and text messages while in port only. Will talk to Verizon this week and will try to remember to post here to let folks know what the most current plan is at Verizon, in case someone is interested.

Our cruise is in a few weeks and I am really interested in what you find out. Thank you so much!

I'm on the Zuiderdam next week :)

When I called to book the cruise, about 3 weeks ago I was told then by the HAL agent that the only internet available on the Zuiderdam is blocks of 1,000 minutes for $250. Since then, I've spoken with Ship Services and been advised that that is no longer the case on 3 of the HAL ships so far, including the Zuiderdam. Now these 3 ships (sorry, didn't ask which other ones) have the tiered plans - social $14.99, surf $24.99, premium $29.99 - these are daily rates, and you can use the WiFi on any device, switching back and forth between them/logging in and out. You purchase this on board. I'll confirm this once I'm on board. Thanks!

This should be easier to find out. My company bought me a $200 OBC "gift" to buy Internet with once I'm on-board. I should be able to tell them precisely what the cost will be for an entire voyage AND buy it in advance. Just dumb.

When I called to book the cruise, about 3 weeks ago I was told then by the HAL agent that the only internet available on the Zuiderdam is blocks of 1,000 minutes for $250. Since then, I've spoken with Ship Services and been advised that that is no longer the case on 3 of the HAL ships so far, including the Zuiderdam. Now these 3 ships (sorry, didn't ask which other ones) have the tiered plans - social $14.99, surf $24.99, premium $29.99 - these are daily rates, and you can use the WiFi on any device, switching back and forth between them/logging in and out. You purchase this on board. I'll confirm this once I'm on board. Thanks!

I am just off the Westerdam and the prices you were quoted were in effect during my cruise. It must be noted that if you purchase at the daily rate for your entire cruise, there was a 40% discount. These prices are in effect for those ships who have the new "high speed" internet which I found to be true. Except for the meal hours when all waiters were using their tablets to take passenger orders, the internet speed was equivalent to that found in most hotels.

I'm boarding the Zuiderdam on Sunday. Are you able to share more about each of the 3 options and what is included in each?

Also, a later post mentioned a 40% discount if the ship has the new high speed wifi. Do you know if the Zuiderdam has that?

Many thanks!

I'm boarding the Zuiderdam on Sunday. Are you able to share more about each of the 3 options and what is included in each?

Also, a later post mentioned a 40% discount if the ship has the new high speed wifi. Do you know if the Zuiderdam has that?

Many thanks!

The $14.99/day option was for social media only. The $24.99/day was for general surfing with downloads limited to 300 mb. The $29.99 was for video streaming and Skype in addition to general surfing.

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm the Zuiderdam has the new internet service.

Our cruise is in a few weeks and I am really interested in what you find out. Thank you so much!

I'm anxious to hear what you learn. I just got my first iPhone and have Verizon and know nothing. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums