The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

I think this will go the way of most of these bans. Plastic straws will no longer be acceptable. However, paper straws (which can be recycled) will replace them.

Those of us old enough to remember when all straws were paper. Red stripe on white. Like OJ commercial when they stick straw in whole orange.

Getting rid of plastic straws is happening ashore too. Many bars and restaurants are doing the same. Thing with paper straws is that they do not last in alcohol. The paper starts to dissolve. I know bar owners that are miffed by this whole thing. Customers are very local with their complaints.

I agree...someone needs to invent a better recyclable straw because the paper ones suck.

We are doing Alaska this summer and will be bringing our own straws.

My company ditched plastic straws a couple of years ago, and after a brief trial of the paper straws they switched to compostable/biodegradable straws that are just like plastic. So much so that people thought they had reversed the decision and gone back to plastic until the straw wrappers changed to say compostable

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if they'll fully ban plastic straws? In which case bringing your own plastic straws may not be allowed.

It's pretty easy to find paper ones now. And Amazon is full of glass and steel options.

Why do you want to impose your misguided ways on other people. THIS IS NOT TO SAVE NO ENVIRONMENT, BUT TO SAVE THEMSELVES (NCL) MONEY. You just drank another gallon (yes plastic) of cool aid.

I don't understand why something can't be a win-win. Good for the environment and also a cost-saving measure for the company. One doesn't negate the other. No need to fume about "Kool-ade".

HOWEVER, I would love to see them use the biodegradable plastic-seeming straws and cups, which I will bet cost more than the conventional plastic ones.

The environmental aspect is a load of bull that many people will eat up and say "bravo NCL, way to go"! When in reality, it's just an effort on their part to save money. They are pooping on our heads and many people will say"thanks for the hat NCL". Always get a good laugh when I go into a restaurant bathroom and there's just a hand dryer that says "in our effort to go green, we no longer supply paper towels" or something to that effect. No, you just realized you can save a ton of money by not having to buy paper towels and replacing it with a machine that is a petri dish of bacteria waiting to get blown onto freshly washed hands.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/23/plastic-straws-bad-environment-7336541/

Is there any topic posted on this board that doesn't bring out the negative Nellies?

This is just another aggravation on your vacation so that the cruise-line can save more money. Simple.

It costs NCL next to nothing or perhaps even nothing for them. They most likely have them provided from alcohol and soda vendors as part of the contract. Same thing with hotels and resorts

Why do you want to impose your misguided ways on other people. THIS IS NOT TO SAVE NO ENVIRONMENT, BUT TO SAVE THEMSELVES (NCL) MONEY. You just drank another gallon (yes plastic) of cool aid.

But it does actually help the environment so everyone wins

It costs NCL next to nothing or perhaps even nothing for them. They most likely have them provided from alcohol and soda vendors as part of the contract. Same thing with hotels and resorts

And, who makes plastic straws for free? Please enlighten us here.

Little to no impact on the environment. Why not paper cups then? Ahhhh, a lot more costly for them to clean on the ship. Did you all think about that? Now, that would be a win win.
Straws are of a size where they are consumed by marine life. Once lodged in their digestive systems they die. While any disposable, single use item is wasteful and a huge contributor to pollution, a focus has been on straws lately due to their size. I doubt paper cups are killing birds and fish because they are too large to be consumed by most marine life.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/plastic-straws-ocean-trash-environment/

Plus, and take this however large a grain of salt you’d like because I used Amazon to get a price reference, but 200 16oz plastic cups with plastic straws is $38 and 200 16oz biodegradable cups with biodegradable is $40.

I know there are major matters of scale here, but it would seem the market overall is adjusting to the fact that people want more environmentally friendly products