The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

I understand the idea behind it (both financially & environmentally), but as someone with dental issues who has to drink from a straw most of the time, investing in biodegradable straws and distributing them only upon request would be preferable to me, and seemingly an easy solution. Just sayin'....

Most people and most drinks don't actually need straws so it's a lot of expense for very few. Amazon has silicone straws that are comfortable and compact to pack if you don't have any of your own right now. The stainless ones are durable but i'm clumsy and a rod of steel near my or my childrens mouths is not a great idea.

My jaw is wired shut, for medical reasons. I guess I will have to bring a note from my doctor telling NCL that straws are required.

Bravo NCL. You managed to save another nickel at the passengers expense and get to blame it on your concern for the environment. (yeah sure)

Just remember, all these changes are for 'our convenience'..............

Did it occur to you that I similarly think you are misguided and "drinking the koolaid"?

You are free to think what you want. I'm leaving info for people who are still forming opinions on the matter.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/23/news/plastic-straws-bans-companies/index.html

You're mad about straws but happy to continue cruising on a ship burning fossil fuels? I assume you also get on your high horse about flying?

You're mad about straws but happy to continue cruising on a ship burning fossil fuels? I assume you also get on your high horse about flying?
I'm allowed to vacation how I see fit. Please quote where on this thread I said I was perfect or only make decisions that don't harm the environment. I'll wait.

I'm not sure why this is about me. I could type out a long explanation of how I am, and am not, a good environmental steward, but that's really not the point, is it?

Straws are not necessary. They are single use disposable items. And I am a fan of them being banned on land and at sea.

I'm allowed to vacation how I see fit. Please quote where on this thread I said I was perfect or only make decisions that don't harm the environment. I'll wait

Careful what you wish for!

I’m perfect and only make decisions that don't harm the environment.

That is, of course, just a joke to lighten the mood. I agree with you, plastic straws are an environmental hazard and should be banned in favor of biodegradable alternatives, as straws are still necessary for some types of beverages/situations/preferences

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last month on Escape I brought my own straws because I had thought they were hard to find on my previous Dawn and Getaway cruises. But no, there were straws galore everywhere on Escape last month. I guess no more. I don't for one minute believe it is for environmental reasons because NCL is not supposed to dump plastic garbage in the sea anyway, it's purely about cost control.

Edited by Mistizoom

Wow! There are some really cynical or glass half empty people on here. :rolleyes:

Just off the Escape and yes, they are limiting straws. If you order a frozen drink, they are included. If you really want or need one, just ask. They will give you one. WE had absolutely no problem with many of the mixed drinks and not having a straw. Rebellious Fish, Mojito Bar Mojito's, Daydreamers Daiquiri, some really good drink at Tobacco Road with several things in it were all fine without a straw. It really is not worth getting all worked up over, IMO.

Who wants to drink a drink without a straw? No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask why? For years we mostly drank our drinks without straws, now everyone seems to think we need a straw or we will get sick, lose our toe nail or some such thing. :confused:

I expect to see a lot of folks with a reusable straw stuck behind their ear! Or bring a bag of paper ones from the dollar store.

Yeah not me, why would I want to put a sticky used straw behind my ear. I might as well take a freshly used wad of gum and use that as a ponytail holder,

I will request straws for every drink,

I don't care if people think it won't make a difference or if they think NCL are only doing this to save money. I think it's a start, and as such I'll be buying some stainless steel straws to use on cruises. Its not as though I'd use them for anything but cocktails. I already have a set at home and try to remember to take them with me if I'm going to a cocktail bar or somewhere like McDonalds. As it happens McDonalds in the UK now have a policy of only handing out straws on request and are looking at ways of changing to a better environmentally friendly option, but they've always been greedy buggers anyway.