The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

Also, it doesn't sound like straws are banned, just that they aren't automatically put in your drink like they have been in the past. To me, this is a positive and reasonable way to handle it. If a straw is important, you can ask for one.

I agree with this. It should be optional

Also, it doesn't sound like straws are banned, just that they aren't automatically put in your drink like they have been in the past. To me, this is a positive and reasonable way to handle it. If a straw is important, you can ask for one.

This works for us!!!! Good for them!!

Ok NCL lets get this straight, if you think straws are bad because of the plastic why then do you put every drink in a disposable plastic cup and not refill even a cup that was used for soda when the gun dispenses it?? No contamination there, and no disposable cups flying off the ship when the wind blows and they are empty. Lets start following suit of other cruise lines and have reusable plastic cups up on deck for your beverages. You would be saving the environment all the way from manufacturing to the disposal of the cups! Another thing would be installing a proper bottle filling fountain in the buffet for people to easily fill a water bottle. It would cut down on the plastic water bottles and there for reduce plastic. But then we all know that NCL would never go for that,

as it would cut into the highway robbery profits that they make from selling bottled water that we all know has micro particles of plastic in it.

All plastic is bad, but for sea life straws are a much bigger threat. They're small enough for a lot of sea life to ingest, clear so it's harder for some animals to see but also makes it look like food to those that eat clear fish like jelly fish. Plastic cups are a problem, though for much larger sea life.

Also not sure about your experience, but wind on a cruise ship could easily whip a straw out of my cup, but when I finished a drink there was usually ice that kept the cup weighed down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

Of course, NCL would probably help the environment more if they just stayed in Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Port Carnival an extra night each cruise and skipped Nassau.

Now, that would be Awesome!!!! :halo:

All plastic is bad, but for sea life straws are a much bigger threat. They're small enough for a lot of sea life to ingest, clear so it's harder for some animals to see but also makes it look like food to those that eat clear fish like jelly fish. Plastic cups are a problem, though for much larger sea life.

Also not sure about your experience, but wind on a cruise ship could easily whip a straw out of my cup, but when I finished a drink there was usually ice that kept the cup weighed down.

I am well aware of the impact on sea life. It seems that their sole motive is to protect the sea life and it is all about the animals (or in this case fish), then why are they not going to reusable cups and adding bottle filling stations on their ships? This would cut down on the other plastics that will end up in the water. I have had many drinks where the ice has melted into the drink and the cup is then finished and then tried to blow away. Also if it is windy enough up on deck all it takes is a good gust to nock over the cup ice water spills and then the cup go flying. I think getting rid of most of the straws and changing to reusaable cups would have a better environmental impact and help all wildlife including sea-life. I think somehow this is about cost, optics and then sea-life. There are many other things they could do to help the planet but will not do as it would change or make more work for their staff. Like really do you need a cocktail napkin with each and every drink????

I am well aware of the impact on sea life. It seems that their sole motive is to protect the sea life and it is all about the animals (or in this case fish), then why are they not going to reusable cups and adding bottle filling stations on their ships? This would cut down on the other plastics that will end up in the water. I have had many drinks where the ice has melted into the drink and the cup is then finished and then tried to blow away. Also if it is windy enough up on deck all it takes is a good gust to nock over the cup ice water spills and then the cup go flying. I think getting rid of most of the straws and changing to reusaable cups would have a better environmental impact and help all wildlife including sea-life. I think somehow this is about cost, optics and then sea-life. There are many other things they could do to help the planet but will not do as it would change or make more work for their staff. Like really do you need a cocktail napkin with each and every drink????
Considering the number of people going crazy over straws, changing everything would go over like a lead balloon. And honestly I have no idea if they are really plastic cups - two years ago my company switched to compostable biodegradable cups that look and feel just like plastic. Never paid attention, could just as easily be plastic. It's harder to switch to reusable plastic as a lot can't stand up to the heat of professional washers (they have some in the buffet so maybe they could buy more of those types) and the pool bars might not even be stocked with the washers. As for bottle fillers, I've never had a problem refilling my water bottle anywhere on their ship.

Coming soon to the forum...

"I refuse to sail NCL because they don't have Coke." will be replaced by "I refuse to sail NCL because they don't have straws.".

You left off the people "that will remove the DSC because they did not get a straw when requested."

You're mad about straws but happy to continue cruising on a ship burning fossil fuels? I assume you also get on your high horse about flying?

You are trying to make some sort of righteous statement yet you forget the hypocritical part is that they still have and sell water in plastic bottles, plastic sea cards. plastic cups at pool deck but straws....no.

How do you stir your drinks? Oh yes, they do have plastic stir sticks....if you ask for them.

1d061cec72e115385fb458d245e35a15.jpg

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There, look at those sparkling plastic straws ready to fulfill their mission on this planet, to make a vacation enjoyable and hassle free. Why do we have to ask for a straw? Why not have the people who DO NOT want straws state such while requesting the drink? Ahh, too easy and there's no PR for NCL there. But, I am ok even if I have to request a straw as long as I am provided one. However minute, this transaction will only add to the time a bartender fixes a drink.

Ok NCL lets get this straight, if you think straws are bad because of the plastic why then do you put every drink in a disposable plastic cup and not refill even a cup that was used for soda when the gun dispenses it?? No contamination there, and no disposable cups flying off the ship when the wind blows and they are empty. Lets start following suit of other cruise lines and have reusable plastic cups up on deck for your beverages. You would be saving the environment all the way from manufacturing to the disposal of the cups! Another thing would be installing a proper bottle filling fountain in the buffet for people to easily fill a water bottle. It would cut down on the plastic water bottles and there for reduce plastic. But then we all know that NCL would never go for that,

as it would cut into the highway robbery profits that they make from selling bottled water that we all know has micro particles of plastic in it.

don't like filling your bottles at the buffet, fill them in your cabin: As for using plastic cups for drinks, we have only seen this if the drinks are or could be consumed near the outside. Of course they are going to us plastic, would you rather see glass than can be dropped and some one seriously cut? :confused:

That being said, I have to wonder why such a response to something like this when we have so many world issues we could be stressing about.

The hypocrisy is awesome, they have needed to ban plastic water bottles for years, and aluminum cans for sodas, they should just use fountains, hey but let's not allow common sense to get in the way of feeling good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the NCL Escape and they are making an effort not to give straws, mostly at the pool. Every person that requested a straw was provided one with a small comment here and there about they were trying to save the Sea. Not really that big of a deal and they almost always provided straws at the indoor bars in the evening.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off of the Sun and there were no straws on board. It wasn't a pleasant experience and I heard a lot of complaints (along with one person who said "Yay!" when she heard that straws have been banned.)

I think this will go the way of most of these bans. Plastic straws will no longer be acceptable. However, paper straws (which can be recycled) will replace them.

Those of us old enough to remember when all straws were paper. Red stripe on white. Like OJ commercial when they stick straw in whole orange.

Plastic can't be recycled?

Straws are of a size where they are consumed by marine life. Once lodged in their digestive systems they die. While any disposable, single use item is wasteful and a huge contributor to pollution, a focus has been on straws lately due to their size. I doubt paper cups are killing birds and fish because they are too large to be consumed by most marine life.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/plastic-straws-ocean-trash-environment/

Darwin? oh never mind