Alaska - Dinner during Victoria Stop on Eurodam

Tananda

We are cruising next month, and I am a major planner. I have Burchart Garden tour booked that looks to last the full time in port 6pm to 1130pm. With that schedule, how do you usually handle dinner? Can we grab something early from the lido as we are on our way into Victoria? Is anything open late when we get back? Appreciate any info!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We are cruising next month, and I am a major planner. I have Burchart Garden tour booked that looks to last the full time in port 6pm to 1130pm. With that schedule, how do you usually handle dinner? Can we grab something early from the lido as we are on our way into Victoria? Is anything open late when we get back? Appreciate any info!

A couple of things to consider: you can't take any food ashore if you want to "grab something" to take with you. The late night buffet hours in the Lido will be in your daily program, so you can plan around those times when coming back later, and there is always 24 hour room service which has some very tasty items complimentary, as well as other extra fee items too. The club sandwich is always our room service favorite.

Unfortunately on our last Alaska cruise we were late docking in Victoria and missed our shore excursion. Depending on how BIG of a planner you are - you may want to have a Plan "B" in your pocket.

Given your schedule, if it were moi...

I would eat enough to sustain me at the poolside taco bar or pizza or the afternoon snack, where you can usually find a nice sandwich, and then I would hope for a nice fish and chips somewhere not too far from the ship. If no fish and chips open, the late snack on the ship. Or 24-hour room service, if all else fails.

Your schedule is a bit awkward for meals, but do-able!

The "All Aboard" will be 11pm for an 11:30pm departure from Victoria. Your HAL tour will bring you back to the ship at the appropriate time. The Lido and New York Pizza on the Eurodam will be open until 11:30pm, and will be very busy. For this evening only, the main dining room will be open from 5pm to 9pm, and it will be open seating on both levels. The Victoria evening port stops are just a little bit different from the norm. Per our experience, you should receive information confirming the dining arrangements the day before you arrive in Victoria.

As another plan b, Butchart Gardens does have a couple of nice food options with deli and restaurant choices inside the park. No need to starve. Beautiful time of the year to visit! We live across the water in Port Angeles, Washington.

As another plan b, Butchart Gardens does have a couple of nice food options with deli and restaurant choices inside the park. No need to starve. Beautiful time of the year to visit! We live across the water in Port Angeles, Washington.

And on a clear day, from the Port Angeles area you can actually see the cruise ships docked at Ogden Point in Victoria during the cruise season:D

Victoria does have many delicious dining and pub options.

Thank you all for your responses! I was concerned that dinner would not start on Lido in time. Plan A will be eating an early dinner on the Lido. Plan B will be having something inside the gardens. Plan C if the ship is too late for the tour will be a nice walk around town and dinner somewhere on shore. I saw pictures of the gardens from someone who traveled in May last year, and I am anxious to see all those tulips! Thank you again!

I would have a large late lunch at the Lido. Remember, you can get a "proper meal" there, in addition to sandwiches and salads. Then plan on a snack at the gardens.

The restaurant at Butchart looks nice, but you may not want to invest that much garden time in eating. The snack bar near the entrance has good coffee (according to DH who had coffee while I browsed in the shop). I know they also serve ice cream, don't remember what else.

Thank you all for your responses! I was concerned that dinner would not start on Lido in time. Plan A will be eating an early dinner on the Lido. Plan B will be having something inside the gardens. Plan C if the ship is too late for the tour will be a nice walk around town and dinner somewhere on shore. I saw pictures of the gardens from someone who traveled in May last year, and I am anxious to see all those tulips! Thank you again!

You will certainly be able to eat an early dinner in the Lido before the ship arrives in Victoria.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tananda,

We are on the same cruise as you. I looked into Buchart Gardens and it looked like they closed early, did you book thru the ship? We really wanted to make it an excursion.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Hi Tananda,

We are on the same cruise as you. I looked into Buchart Gardens and it looked like they closed early, did you book thru the ship? We really wanted to make it an excursion.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Hi Karen!

Yes, with the short amount of time in port, I figured I would be most comfortable booking through the cruise line. You are correct regarding their hours. I see on their website that they close at 5pm, before we arrive. I sure hope we don't have any issues seeing the gardens, though DH might prefer an alternative. ;p;p;p;p:-)

Hi Tananda,

Thanks in advance.

Karen

After seeing your post, I decided to reach out to the gardens. Below is the response that I received.

Thank you for your interest in The Butchart Gardens. There are several dates in May and June when the Gardens extends our hours to accommodate late arriving cruise ships. These are unadvertised openings and we will only remain open later if the cruise ships dock as scheduled; if they are delayed or cannot dock due to bad weather, we will close at our regular time of 5pm. One of these dates is Friday, May 25. On this date if the evening cruise ships dock as scheduled, the Admission Gate will be open until 9:30pm and visitors can view the Gardens until 11pm. If the evening cruise ships are unable to dock for any reason (high winds, schedule delays), the Admission Gate will close at the regular time of 5pm, and visitors can view the Gardens until 6pm. Our Night Illuminations will be on at dusk on May 25.

Kind regards,

Anna Randall – Administrative Assistant

I suggest the Dive In on the Lido deck. We loved it! The burgers were great and so was the Portabella Mushroom :)
I kept expecting to see this wonderful option for an early dinner for the OP all the way down the page. I just read your great review, and I'm glad you recommended the Dive In.