First Timer Boarding Question

We will be boarding FOS on April 28th. My husband has a low immune system due to cancer treatments. On the plane and airports he always wears a mask to help keep germs away. My question is this: If he wears a mask at the boarding do you feel they think he is sick and won't want him to board? I know you fill out the health questionnaire at the port, but he doesn't want them to think he is sick. Do you think his wearing a mask will cause problems? In crowded places he does like to do it. Once we are on board we will try to avoid the worse of the crowds. Have you ever seen anyone board with a mask? I do appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks,

We will be boarding FOS on April 28th. My husband has a low immune system due to cancer treatments. On the plane and airports he always wears a mask to help keep germs away. My question is this: If he wears a mask at the boarding do you feel they think he is sick and won't want him to board? I know you fill out the health questionnaire at the port, but he doesn't want them to think he is sick. Do you think his wearing a mask will cause problems? In crowded places he does like to do it. Once we are on board we will try to avoid the worse of the crowds. Have you ever seen anyone board with a mask? I do appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks,
I'm not sure how the boarding crew would act but I'm sure if you could get a physician's note explaining the reasons for wearing the mask, that would go a long way in alleviating anyone's concerns

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure how the boarding crew would act but I'm sure if you could get a physician's note explaining the reasons for wearing the mask, that would go a long way in alleviating anyone's concerns

You maybe correct, but I'm going to guess that any land agent will want the person to visit the onboard doctor before being allowed to board or visit most of the ship. The few times I've read of something similar it takes anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to get to see that medical person. I'd arrive as early as possible. [/speculation]

I feel a doctors note would be sufficient. It is very common for some international tourists to wear masks when they travel to avoid airborne illnesses just like your husband. We often visit Las Vegas and many times you can see tourists from Asia wearing masks.

while yes they do wear them, its not to prevent themselves from getting sick. its out of politeness and not spreading their germs to others.

OP, what precautions are you taking while on board? there is a reason why major Noro outbreaks occur on cruise ships almost as often as they do in schools and hospitals. avoiding crowds will not do anything when the issue is contaminated surfaces. wearing a mask may signal the on board medical staff that he is too high a risk to be allowed to board. they will make their own judgement call and they will not necessarily factor in a note from your doctor.

I have seen cruisers going through security and at check-in wearing a mask. He will have to fill out the health questionnaire. I also agree with the earlier post that your husband should have a doctors note explaining the reason for wearing the mask. Your husband will have to remove the mask when his picture is take, and each time he departs/re-boards at the security check point.

Wow, what education do you have that outranks the CDC????

It's more designed to prevent the wearer from spreading diseases but it can work both ways. If you're wearing it to not get sick it will need to be changed out fairly often. Once it gets wet by anything outside or just your breath then it becomes useless to the wearer.

Scott

It's more designed to prevent the wearer from spreading diseases but it can work both ways. If you're wearing it to not get sick it will need to be changed out fairly often. Once it gets wet by anything outside or just your breath then it becomes useless to the wearer.

Scott

Yeah, whatever.

You obviously have no firsthand knowledge of wearing a mask for disease prevention, and you don't understand the difference between droplet and airborne precautions.

Very, very few diseases are transmitted through breathing regular air.

Regular handwashing is the #1 best way to prevent most illnesses. Wearing a facemask -- in addition to frequent handwashing -- will help prevent colds and influenza from people who are coughing/sneezing in your vicinity.

Thank you all. Perhaps arriving later would help with the crowds. Appreciate all your answers.
There is also a place on the website where you can fill out a form for special needs. I know this is mainly for requests for special accommodations but there is an "other" box that you can write in the situation. If nothing else, maybe doing that can point you in the right direction to find out for sure from the cruise line itself what they will say/do. I found the form by looking at medical needs under FAQ.

my doctor tells me the same thing. FTR I have an autoimmune disease and need to take some extra precautions against contact with other people's ick. also I spent three years living in Japan and the reason they wear masks is to not cough their ick onto public surfaces like the trains/subways. they really do nothing to protect the wearer at all. at best they can somewhat filter smog and pollution for those with sensitive lungs..

The CDC says it does not know if masks can prevent the spread airborne virus. "It is difficult to assess their potential effectiveness," according to an interim recommendation.

Experts say it can't hurt to wear one. If nothing else, it keeps you from touching your mouth and nose. "These are two great areas where any virus can gain access to your body," says Dr. Gwen Huitt, an infectious disease expert with National Jewish Health in Denver.

Experts say masks are no replacement for good hygiene. As people have heard a lot recently, Huitt says, we all need to remember to wash hands frequently, and, of course, cover your cough.

So the biggest benefit of a mask is you don't touch your face not that it filters anything out of the air.

We were on FOS in November and there was a young lady who was occasionally wearing a mask. I cannot say how that was handled at boarding time. And I don't know the reason for it. But there were times you would see her with it on and others with it off. I'm sure the cruise line knows they appropriate questions to ask without seeming intrusive.

Yeah, whatever.

You obviously have no firsthand knowledge of wearing a mask for disease prevention, and you don't understand the difference between droplet and airborne precautions.

Very, very few diseases are transmitted through breathing regular air.

Regular handwashing is the #1 best way to prevent most illnesses. Wearing a facemask -- in addition to frequent handwashing -- will help prevent colds and influenza from people who are coughing/sneezing in your vicinity.

I hope you're not this much of a @*&@^ on the cruise as you are behind the keyboard. :rolleyes:

The CDC says it does not know if masks can prevent the spread airborne virus. "It is difficult to assess their potential effectiveness," according to an interim recommendation.

VERY few diseases are contracted via airborne transmission.

The vast majority of contagious respiratory diseases are contracted via droplet transmission -- either someone coughing/sneezing directly on you, or you touching an object that someone coughed/sneezed on, and then touching your face or food without proper hand hygiene.

Similarly, gastrointestinal diseases are not transmitted via breathing the same air as a sick person -- you get noro-type illnesses by basically eating someone else's poop (they don't wash their hands, get poop on an object that you later touch, then you eat or touch your mouth without washing your hands).

Wearing a mask will protect you from breathing in droplets of sneezed flu, colds, RSV, coronavirus, human metapneumovirus, etc., but won't protect you from getting those viruses if you touch something and then don't wash your hands. A mask won't protect you from chicken pox or tuberculosis, which are actually airborne diseases.

I hope you're not this much of a @*&@^ on the cruise as you are behind the keyboard. :rolleyes:

So, I'm a horrible person because you're talking out of your butt about something you have no actual knowledge of? :rolleyes: