Wheelchair/Airline

Called Delta twice, 2 different people, 2 different answers, one yes, one no, it must be checked. Going to call a third time. Can my wife bring her folding transport chair on the airplane? Anyone had experience with this? Thanx.

Sorry I was not clear and did not fully get the gist of your question. Are you talking to their passenger assistance department? Are you wanting to use to get her onto plane or take it as a carryon? They may have to use theirs to get her inside plane due to size, but you are supposed to be able to have needed medical devices with you as carryon. Sometimes due to space though, they may need to gate check the item. Meaning they put it on themselves and bring it back to you at the end of the flight So will not get lost.Do not regular check item and make sure well identified and tagged also. Do be diligent and stay on them and be clear about what you need.

just our personal experience - 1st time outbound - we took our wheelchair to the gate - then transferred to their wheelchair for the plane while they checked ours (free). Coming off the plane they used their wheelchair to get us off the plane and then ours was outside the counter area. Reverse flight we took our wheelchair only to the ticket counter at which time we transferred to their wheelchair from ticket counter to the plane. Again, they took our wheelchair with no charge.

No, you are not be able to take your wheelchair on the plane. They have a wheelchair available that fits down the aisle. If you need a wheelchair in flight, to go to the lav, each aircraft has a portable fold up chair that is located in the rear of the a/c, most likely behind the last row of seats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, you are not be able to take your wheelchair on the plane. They have a wheelchair available that fits down the aisle. If you need a wheelchair in flight, to go to the lav, each aircraft has a portable fold up chair that is located in the rear of the a/c, most likely behind the last row of seats.

Sounds like a reasonable answer.

Also, you can gate check your personal wheelchair, just like people check strollers. They are not picked up like regular luggage at the carousel. They are available (usually after waiting a couple of minutes) at the jet bridge. Have seen this numerous times.

My home airport uses the small regional jets. We have to gate check most things, including standard carryons. Only thing allowed on board is a purse, small computer bags, under seat carryon or similar.

We fly Delta more often than not. We use a transport chair but my daughter CAN transfer (which is a big question.) We have a permanent disability tag attached to her chair and under her name in the system. So we leave it at the end of the jetway and they stow it. Then as soon as we begin deplaning, we wait at the same spot and they bring it back up to us.

Called Delta twice, 2 different people, 2 different answers, one yes, one no, it must be checked. Going to call a third time. Can my wife bring her folding transport chair on the airplane? Anyone had experience with this? Thanx.

With all do respect there is some mis-information in this thread.

• Airlines have to allow you to bring your wheelchair
  • You are not required to get a letter from your doctor . In fact no airlines can ask for a letter to confirm your medical condition as to why the wheelchair is need as by doing so it violates USA Federal Privacy Laws.
  • No you are not required to check it as luggage as your were previously advised by a Delta agent. Though if you choose to check it as luggage it's your decision. However checking it as luggage pretty much guarantees that it will arrive damage
  • Though post # 6 has good information if the person is wheelchair bound it does not apply to your situation .

This is what you do and yes I'm speaking from first hand experience

• As previously posted Wheelchairs/Transport Chair are classified as Medical Equipment and the airlines cannot impose a fee .
  • The wheelchair/transport chair can be gate checked.
  • If you need assistance pushing your wife to the gate you can use the airports wheelchair assistance service.
  • When checking in your luggage advise the agent that you need wheelchair assistance. The agent will contact the service , write a number on you boarding pass envelope and than direct you to the wheelchair assistance waiting area.
  • Upon arriving at the gate go the gate desk and have the agent issue you a tag for the wheelchair if it was not issued when checking in your luggage.
  • Once boarding begins you or a gate agent will push your wife to the door of the plane. She can than walk onto the plane. The wheelchair/transport chair is to be left on the jet way and ground crew personnel with than place it in the cargo hold.
  • On arrival at your destination the ground crew will deliver it to the jet-way where your wife can than transfer back into the wheelchair/transport chair .
  • If you pre-order wheelchair assistance that person will meet up with on the jet-way.

If requiring assistance to push your wife through the airport phone the airlines and have your wife's reservation marked as requiring wheelchair assist for all flights

Though the information you posted is correct if the person is non-ambulatory it does not apply to the OP. Reason being she is traveling with a Transport Chair which means she is ambulatory.

We are traveling with my mom to Hawaii with her own wheelchair, we have a connecting flight. When we gate check it in Tampa, will they have it for us in Salt Lake City and then we gate check it again til we get to Honolulu? A small layover there.

:*:cool:

We are traveling with my mom to Hawaii with her own wheelchair, we have a connecting flight. When we gate check it in Tampa, will they have it for us in Salt Lake City and then we gate check it again til we get to Honolulu? A small layover there.

:*:cool:

Yes, they will bring your chair in the jetway. On Delta the Flight Attendant will probably have you remain in your seat or at least take a seat in the front of the aircraft until he/she sees the chair and there is a break with deplaning passengers to get you to your chair. You don't want to be waiting/standing in the hot/cold jetway waiting for your chair.

Yes, they will bring your chair in the jetway. On Delta the Flight Attendant will probably have you remain in your seat or at least take a seat in the front of the aircraft until he/she sees the chair and there is a break with deplaning passengers to get you to your chair. You don't want to be waiting/standing in the hot/cold jetway waiting for your chair.

Thank you so very much!

It must be gate checked. you cannot have it in the cabin with you. or you can baggage check it at no cost and not counted against your luggage allowance.

if you gate check it, you ride it to the cabin then either transfer to their skinny chair to the seat, or she can walk to her seat. it will be tagged and stuffed in baggage compartment. when you arrive you will be the last people off and it will be waiting for you as soon as you get off so she can ride it down the tunnel