Apple Costs Passenger $500.

We don't know if she was given an option. There are difficult cops just as there are difficult citizens. None of us know what happened.

She might have bad mouthed the customs agent and showed an attitude. If she had shown some contrition right off the bat, he may have let her go.

Just like a traffic stop. You apologize, and he may let you go and give you a warning. You call the cop a "pig" then you are sure to get a ticket.

I guess we just don't know all the facts.

We don't know if she was given an option. There are difficult cops just as there are difficult citizens. None of us know what happened.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You're right but given the volume of traffic they deal with I doubt they would take the time for an apple unless otherwise provoked.

Apparently the US isn't as forgiving as Australia. Netflix has a series about Customs and Border Patrol (probably not their name) in Australia. They get a large number of Asians who bring in months worth of groceries for their stay and don't declare it on their forms. When it is something like this apple, served by an airline it is destroyed and the traveler warned. Fascinating show - Border Patrol
Hi

Yes, I have watched that series, plus the US and Canadian versions and my impression is of all three that they give a stern warning but no fine, if someone has inadvertently brought some item in, and for repeat offenders or severe infractions, they start fining people. This lady was greeted by the Customs agent who asked her if her vacation was expensive. When she said yes, it was he told her "Well, it just got $500 more expensive". Not sure why he didn't just throw the apple away and give her a warning. He was very heavy handed, IMO.

For those here that think $500 dollars for a Apple is unfair. I really think something needs to be pointed out again. The $500 dollar fine is for a second offense, the first offense fine is $100 dollars. If she already paid a $100 fine in the past she knew exactly what the law was, she knew to declare the apple. It was not heavy handed it was exactly what the law says.

Deputy Barney Fife was a "by the book" guy. Sheriff Andy Taylor was not. Sometimes law enforcement has to exercise discretion. Even if she was irate, agents are trained to deal with such personalities. Sounds to me like she ran into a Barney when an Andy was needed.

Deputy Barney Fife was a "by the book" guy. Sheriff Andy Taylor was not. Sometimes law enforcement has to exercise discretion. Even if she was irate, agents are trained to deal with such personalities. Sounds to me like she ran into a Barney when an Andy was needed.

As likely, she ran into an Andy type one too many times. Some are simply unwilling to ever follow rules and regulations that inconvenience them.

Again it was not the first time that she had broken the law. She knew the law and did not care..... I think $500 dollars is light. Maybe if she spent time in jail people would understand the law is the law.