Question regarding typical level of knowledge among Carnival bartenders.

Another question from this yet-to-cruise greenhorn.

How skilled are typical Carnival bartenders? I'm on the fence regarding a Cheers buy. Neither I nor my wife are big drinkers by default. However, if I can have some confidence in getting a variety of the drinks I usually find to be so-so in typical bars, I'm in!

I could ask about many drinks, but here are a few examples:

While Mimosas are easy-peasy for brunch, can I get a proper, frothy Ramos Gin Fizz?

Do Mojitos receive 10-12 properly-muddled mint leaves, or just a few tossed into the bottom of the glass?

How is the depth of variety in the stuffed olive garnishes. Of course there is the traditional pimento, but what about bleu cheese? Garlic? Anchovie?

I'm a good tipper, but I prefer to not have to explain a drink. If the typical bartender is friendly and competent, but not crackerjack, we'll probably pass on Cheers and just do beer and wine à la carte.

To be honest it seems like your drink preferences are more suited for a private yacht than a carnival cruise. Regardless I have found Carnival's bartenders to be very good, they know most drinks. If your ship has an alchemy bar you will really enjoy those bartenders.

To be honest it seems like your drink preferences are more suited for a private yacht than a carnival cruise. Regardless I have found Carnival's bartenders to be very good, they know most drinks. If your ship has an alchemy bar you will really enjoy those bartenders.

I would agree about the bartenders/drink waiters in general and about the Alchemy Bar in particular. If you have some esoteric tastes the Alchemy is the place to visit. Otherwise, the only issues I've had are with language accents or acronym confusion between myself and the bar staff - one time I ordered a J&B and soda (I know, my taste in scotch tends to the lower end) and got a Jim Beam and soda - yuk.

I’m inclined to agree, but one never knows! I hope the OP reports back (positively) on the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would agree about the bartenders/drink waiters in general and about the Alchemy Bar in particular. If you have some esoteric tastes the Alchemy is the place to visit. Otherwise, the only issues I've had are with language accents or acronym confusion between myself and the bar staff - one time I ordered a J&B and soda (I know, my taste in scotch tends to the lower end) and got a Jim Beam and soda - yuk.

LOL

My husband ordered a "Jack and water" on the Paul Gauguin ship, he got a glass of Jack Daniels on the rocks and a glass of water.

This thread definitely strikes my interest, can I get a proper old fashioned on the pool deck?

This yes. That is a very traditional and typical drink. Not very pool deck-y to my mind, but to each their own.

Specialty olives on the other hand....However, they do muddle the mint leaves and I have had a few blackberry monitors that I had to pull mint out of because there was just too much.

I will echo those who are pushing you toward the Alchemy Bar. Venture off menu there (although the menu drinks are great). Other bartenders were hit and miss. And I find those hits early on and keep coming back. Those that miss? No hard feelings, but we move on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first and only cruise to date was a joke with the bartenders. I tried on almost every bar on the ship, if it wasn't on the menu they wouldn't make it. I was beyond frustrated, I was damned pissed.

Elation was the ship, no Alchemy.

Nah. When my pals and I go yachting, we only drink Château de Chasselas. I'll explore the Alchemy of which you speak, though. Thank you!

yorkshiremen1_203x150.jpg.a048fd25bd74f131a341270079069f2f.jpg

No shame in J&B Scotch, Joepeka. Years ago, I won a trivia contest at a bar because I knew the initials stand for Justerini & Brooks. Woo-hoo!

I’m inclined to agree, but one never knows! I hope the OP reports back (positively) on the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That report will be a long time coming, Girlsbgoing. This first-time cruise is still in the early planning stages. Fingers are crossed, through.