Alaska Cruise Companian Book

ikesyd

Hoping to do a southbound Voyage of the Glaciers on the Coral next year. Have heard about the book and that it is available to purchase on board - can it be pre-purchased through Princess or do they have large stocks of the book even though the last edition is 2016?

Hoping to do a southbound Voyage of the Glaciers on the Coral next year. Have heard about the book and that it is available to purchase on board - can it be pre-purchased through Princess or do they have large stocks of the book even though the last edition is 2016?

There are a number of copies available both on Amazon and eBay, if you are looking to buy a copy before you go. Conversely, we are on the Star in 6 days, Alaskan Cruise, and I can check the price while I am on board.

We bought ours on Amazon before our first Alaska cruise and have happily packed it for each subsequent trip. Map is terrific and it’s nice to have a chance to review and get familiar with the info before your trip begins.

They will have hundreds onboard the ship. Many used copies don't include the map.

I would wait to buy it onboard - it is a great book. They will have the latest version onboard - the website says "new" so not sure what year it is (maybe 2018?). You will want Rachel Cartwright's version. Amazon's version is old and expensive. Some naturalists refer to Rachel's copy on the ship and in the Princess Patter.

Checking Amazon the guidebook sold in the Princess gift shop appears to be the book authored by Joe Upton but the ones I viewed were old versions from 2004 & earlier.

I’ve enjoyed the Panal Canal books written by Anne Vipond who also has written “Alaska by Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Cruising Alaska” released in May 2017 costing $16.95 and includes a removable map.

I prefer getting a guide book in advance to become familiar with an area & to learn some history about a destination.

Checking Amazon the guidebook sold in the Princess gift shop appears to be the book authored by Joe Upton but the ones I viewed were old versions from 2004 & earlier.

I’ve enjoyed the Panal Canal books written by Anne Vipond who also has written “Alaska by Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Cruising Alaska” released in May 2017 costing $16.95 and includes a removable map.

I prefer getting a guide book in advance to become familiar with an area & to learn some history about a destination.

They used to use Joe Upton's but now use Rachel Cartwright's book. The book on the ship is $18.99

You can buy it for when you are on the ship here: https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/gifts/

Though they will have plenty onboard.

I also like Anne Vipond's books for pre-cruise before I go. I like Rachel's book onboard as they refer to it on the ship as you are sailing along. She also is a naturalist on one ship usually over the summer. The 2 books do compliment each other.

The newest Rachel Cartwright edition I can find is from 2012. There are several newer books available. I have no idea which is best.

I think Princess has an exclusive to the latest versions. Same thing happened with Joe Upton's books when Princess used them.

I know Rachel's last version was 2016. I don't know if there will be a newer version this year onboard.

I think Princess has an exclusive to the latest versions. Same thing happened with Joe Upton's books when Princess used them.

I know Rachel's last version was 2016. I don't know if there will be a newer version this year onboard.

The "latest version" idea is always a tricky proposition since there may be three or four years between printings. When we did Alaska a couple of years ago we bought the latest version of the Alaska book that we could find (and it included maps) on Amazon. When onboard the ship we checked and they were selling the same book for about twice the price. They also had a "special" which was the previous edition for about the same price that we paid for the newer edition on Amazon. Funny thing is that I looked through the older edition and not much had changed between it and the newest edition. I guess it is one of those situations where you "pays your money and takes your chances". :confused: YMMV.

The "latest version" idea is always a tricky proposition since there may be three or four years between printings. When we did Alaska a couple of years ago we bought the latest version of the Alaska book that we could find (and it included maps) on Amazon. When onboard the ship we checked and they were selling the same book for about twice the price. They also had a "special" which was the previous edition for about the same price that we paid for the newer edition on Amazon. Funny thing is that I looked through the older edition and not much had changed between it and the newest edition. I guess it is one of those situations where you "pays your money and takes your chances". :confused: YMMV.

Sounds like college textbooks--minimally change 3 pages out of a 300 page book so it can be sold as a new edition. I loved the profs who told students to NOT buy the new edition; there was little or no change from the previous and the previous edition could be had for a song.

We bought ours on the ship....Aug. 26, 2017 (I know the exact date because it was within hours of boarding...and that's the day we boarded.) :D:D

Our edition was 2016. I don't know if there will be a newer version for this cruising season, but I tend to think probably not. (again...just my personal thoughts....) as 2016 isn't that long ago.....

We paid $19 (18.99 to be exact).

Buying ahead of time from Amazon certainly has it's advantages, but I still think being assured of the presence of that map (used books from Amazon may be missing it) is worth any disadvantage from not having it ahead of time.

(again...just a personal opinion....)

Enjoy your time in Alaska...it's incredible!!! :D

We took our Coral Alaska cruise in August 2015 and purchased Joe Upton's book and map before the cruise and brought it with us. We felt that it was an excellent compliment to the cruise and the naturalist's commentary, but I'm sure that Rachel Cartwright's book is equally good or better. Don't forget to bring magnets so you can put the map up on the wall in your stateroom.

On another note, I also read James Michener's book Alaska before our cruise. Although it is fiction there is a great deal of history, nature, and geology in the book that enhanced my appreciation of the state. Michener is a great storyteller. His books are long, but you have plenty of time before you sail. Have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone for the information. I would like to be able to purchase before the cruise but I can only find 2012 version on amazon and also trouble finding shipping to Australia. Guess I’ll just wait till we are on board. Might do a cruise tour anyone know if it can be purchased while on the tour?