Specialty dining gratuity question

Hello,

Does the price listed for specialty dining reservations in he cruise planner include gratuity?

Thanks

If you are on the ship, they add 18% gratuity. If you are ordering pre-cruise, no gratuity is added.

If you are on the ship, they add 18% gratuity. If you are ordering pre-cruise, no gratuity is added.

I have booked a cruise for June 2019 on the Anthem. The last time that I was on a Royal Caribbean ship was 2001. I have sailed mostly on Princess and once on Carnival and Celebrity. I have to say that it seems very complicated trying to figure out the hidden or extra costs on this cruise line whether it's purchasing a drink package or deciding on what specialty restaurant to eat in. It really is a turn off. I don't mind paying for the extras I want but really an 18% gratuity if you don't pre-book? Had I not read this thread I would have added a tip on top of the one that they added on plus the daily auto tip. It makes me wants to remove the daily tip and just tip as I go along which I haven't done since they started to add the auto tips. Well I have over a year to figure it all out.

I have booked a cruise for June 2019 on the Anthem. The last time that I was on a Royal Caribbean ship was 2001. I have sailed mostly on Princess and once on Carnival and Celebrity. I have to say that it seems very complicated trying to figure out the hidden or extra costs on this cruise line whether it's purchasing a drink package or deciding on what specialty restaurant to eat in. It really is a turn off. I don't mind paying for the extras I want but really an 18% gratuity if you don't pre-book? Had I not read this thread I would have added a tip on top of the one that they added on plus the daily auto tip. It makes me wants to remove the daily tip and just tip as I go along which I haven't done since they started to add the auto tips. Well I have over a year to figure it all out.

Don’t worry, anything you purchase on board will show you if a tip has been added.

Don’t worry, anything you purchase on board will show you if a tip has been added.

The other thing that doesn't sit right with me is the fact that they don't charge the tip if you prebook. It's like they are giving you a discount at the expense of the wait staff. Unless I'm missing something that's just wrong.

The other thing that doesn't sit right with me is the fact that they don't charge the tip if you prebook. It's like they are giving you a discount at the expense of the wait staff. Unless I'm missing something that's just wrong.

You're making the asumption that the 18% they charge onboard goes to the crew.

You're making the asumption that the 18% they charge onboard goes to the crew.

Kill me! You have to be kidding? This is going to be a whole new experience. So if I prepay and leave a gratuity, does the crew get to keep it? I don't want to assume again and give RC more undeserved money.

The fine line reads that a service charge (grats) is included in any dining package of 3 or more restaurants.

Also, you may find that the prices on board may be bit different than the cruise planner. As an example, Chops was $49 per, but on board I was billed $45 and I added the tip. As Bob calls it "Dynamic Pricing.";p

If you want to tip additional for excellent service, I would give cash to the waiter or waitress. Cannot understand why somebody who hasn't provided me with excellent service should share anything. If we order room service, we also give cash to the person bringing our food. Same at a bar we might frequent.

Bob can you clarify something for me. We book all our specialty pre cruise and individually so we get the times we want.

My wife and I always tip at specialty restaurants even though we thought pre cruise booking already had tip added.

Are you saying that when you pre book online that the tip is not included? I just want to be clear.

Thanks.

Bob can you clarify something for me. We book all our specialty pre cruise and individually so we get the times we want.

My wife and I always tip at specialty restaurants even though we thought pre cruise booking already had tip added.

Are you saying that when you pre book online that the tip is not included? I just want to be clear.

Thanks.

Yes, tip will not be added. However, any dining package of 3 or more restaurants grats (per fine print) are included in the price per.

Yes, tip will not be added. However, any dining package of 3 or more restaurants grats (per fine print) are included in the price per.

Wow that is surprising to me. I am glad I saw this post. Like I said we do tip but we should be tipping a bit more and will going forward. Thanks.

The fine line reads that a service charge (grats) is included in any dining package of 3 or more restaurants.

Also, you may find that the prices on board may be bit different than the cruise planner. As an example, Chops was $49 per, but on board I was billed $45 and I added the tip. As Bob calls it "Dynamic Pricing.";p

LOL... It's really a shell game trying to get the best price.

QAre there any gratuities included in the dining package?

A

Yes, gratuities are included in all specialty restaurant cover charges and dining packages.

According to this answer they are included even as individual bookings. This is off the Q/A from RCCL.

Edited by suss1234
update

The fee you pay to dine there includes gratuity. Most will tip a bit extra, if the meal and service are outstanding. It's certainly not required.

When I travel, the number one thing I always check out, it the tipping culture. Tips on Cruise ships are not the same as on land, and Internationally, tips are always handled differently. If I read, tips are included in the price, than I have already tipped. If the country visiting the custom is small rounded up tip, than that's what I do. If in the USA, it's 18%, than that's what I give. Yes, I understand people work hard, but I also work hard. If I'm told that I paid the tip, than I did.

Okay, color me confused. :confused: We have the bogo dining and a chops lunch booked. Do either of these include the gratuity? Thanks!

Yes.

Any dining you pay for ahead of time through the cruise planner includes the gratuity.

Any dining purchased on board will have 18% added to the advertised price.

Yes.

Any dining you pay for ahead of time through the cruise planner includes the gratuity.

Any dining purchased on board will have 18% added to the advertised price.

IMO, no. The fine print of grats included applies only to the 3+dining packages. No such disclaimer on the BOGO and the sole restaurant option that I can see..

IMO, no. The fine print of grats included applies only to the 3+dining packages. No such disclaimer on the BOGO and the sole restaurant option that I can see..

And have you actually booked a restaurant by itself on line? I have and 18% is not added to the advertised price.

Call me contrary. We have NOT been charged any additional gratuity. When we buy the whole cruise or individual evenings. None, Nada, Zilch. We have always left a cash tip, but there has NOT been any add-on.

And have you actually booked a restaurant by itself on line? I have and 18% is not added to the advertised price.

Yes, pre-booked Giovanni's and I tipped accordingly when meal was finished. Also, even though there was no bill, tipped when we got the free lunch at Giovanni's as part of the neighborhood promo.

Edited by nelblu
add