please refresh my memory

I don't know if I was dreaming this or what but isn't there some of coast guard rule or some other rule about having 3 people in a cabin designed for 2?

I seem to remember (selective memory) that they could put a rollaway in a 2 person cabin if the ship was built before the year 2000 but not after.

Somebody set me straight or tell me I'm nuts.

Thanks

Bill

Occupancy is determined by the number of persons the lifeboats can accommodate.

In other words, some cabins might sleep up to 4 people but that is "capacity controlled" and the total number of persons on the ship cannot exceed the lifeboat capacity.

You're nuts.

(sorry, couldn't resist LOL!)

seriously I thought the cabin configuration was determined based on the ship's total capacity, and that they didn't change it from what was defined - in other words you can have the max or less in a cabin, until the ship reaches pre-defined capacity then no more supplemental passengers allowed. That's what a TA told me a few years back.

I agree with both. If the cabin is designed for 2, it cannot accomodate 3 except for the older ships that have trundle beds. The newer ships dont have them to put in your cabin.

Also, if there are too many quad cabins with 4 booked they can cut it off and not allow maximum allowed in a cabin once the lifeboat reaches capacity. Ive only heard of this happening in the summer or when a ton of kids are onboard.

So I agree with both answers :)

Also, if there are too many quad cabins with 4 booked they can cut it off and not allow maximum allowed in a cabin once the lifeboat reaches capacity.

Exactly, Carnival is not going to allow an excess number of bookings with 3 or 4 in a cabin if it precludes/prevents being able to sell every available cabin with 2 paid occupants.

Since there can only be a finite number of guests (& crew) aboard, Carnival want’s to sell every possible cabin with the costlier 1st & 2nd guest at “full price fare”. They won’t allow cabins to go unsold so that other cabins can max out the possible sleeping limits.

Edited by lizardhowson

I agree with both. If the cabin is designed for 2, it cannot accomodate 3 except for the older ships that have trundle beds. The newer ships dont have them to put in your cabin.

Also, if there are too many quad cabins with 4 booked they can cut it off and not allow maximum allowed in a cabin once the lifeboat reaches capacity. Ive only heard of this happening in the summer or when a ton of kids are onboard.

Ok this is what i was looking for. The part in your first paragraph.

On another board somebody booked a guarantee for three and they put them in a cabin for two with a rollaway.

I didn't think that was allowed.

That's what I was trying to figure out and yes I am a little nuts regardless. LOL

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Ok this is what i was looking for. The part in your first paragraph.

On another board somebody booked a guarantee for three and they put them in a cabin for two with a rollaway.

I didn't think that was allowed.

That's what I was trying to figure out and yes I am a little nuts regardless. LOL

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Im assuming a older ship, i dont think conquest class has rollaways, at least per my cabin steward.

those rollaways/trundles are horrible.

Look at it this way... you cannot book three people in a two person stateroom. However there is no rule against some passenger booked elsewhere crashing on the floor of your cabin such that three are sleeping in a two person cabin.

You are correct

Sent from my iPad using Forums

well I was just curious as I have been following the saga on the RCI board of the gentleman whopaid for a guarantee for 3 people on the Oasis of the Seas and was apparently assigned a cabin that is only supposed to hold 2.

RCI has said they will bring a sofa bed into the cabin for the 3rd pax after telling him they were going to bring in a rollaway.

I just thought this wasn't allowed, thus I posted the question.

Thanks for all the answers.

Bill

well I was just curious as I have been following the saga on the RCI board of the gentleman whopaid for a guarantee for 3 people on the Oasis of the Seas and was apparently assigned a cabin that is only supposed to hold 2.

RCI has said they will bring a sofa bed into the cabin for the 3rd pax after telling him they were going to bring in a rollaway.

I just thought this wasn't allowed, thus I posted the question.

Thanks for all the answers.

Bill

Interesting.... We have been told flat out that these rules were ironclad because they were coast guard based. Again, it is what the rooms has been cleared with and not what the bed situation is (although they might mean the same thing). How did it all work out over on the Royal board?

Interesting.... We have been told flat out that these rules were ironclad because they were coast guard based. Again, it is what the rooms has been cleared with and not what the bed situation is (although they might mean the same thing). How did it all work out over on the Royal board?

Won't know until the person sails in August I guess.

He is booked in cabin 12539. People have posted this is not the first time this has happened.

Bill

you can book 3 in a 2 per cabin ALL DAY LONG as long as carnival says so!!!!

as a matter of fact, they like royal might book your party of three in a 2 per cabin on a summer or holiday cruise instead of booking your 3 into a cabin for 4!!!!

collate all the other good posts and add this to them too! this happened to us on a cruise where all the 3 passenger cabins were booked and they wouldn't sell a 4 passenger cabin to a party of 2 or 3 since we were going on an Easter cruise, we had something like 2700+ on a fantasy class ship!!!

with every bed full capacity is listed as about 2400ish 2 per cabin about 2000ish so we had like 300+ rollaways, crammed in cabins everywhere!!!

also the old 'stripper pole cabins' down on Riviera and the lower inside decks they'd put a rollaway in too! also you can't get the beds put together in those cabins either!

we had one of those on fascination one time

as a matter of fact, they like royal might book your party of three in a 2 per cabin on a summer or holiday cruise instead of booking your 3 into a cabin for 4!!!!

collate all the other good posts and add this to them too! this happened to us on a cruise where all the 3 passenger cabins were booked and they wouldn't sell a 4 passenger cabin to a party of 2 or 3 since we were going on an Easter cruise, we had something like 2700+ on a fantasy class ship!!!

with every bed full capacity is listed as about 2400ish 2 per cabin about 2000ish so we had like 300+ rollaways, crammed in cabins everywhere!!!

also the old 'stripper pole cabins' down on Riviera and the lower inside decks they'd put a rollaway in too! also you can't get the beds put together in those cabins either!

we had one of those on fascination one time

Booking 3 into a cabin for 4 has nothing to do with it.

it does not have anything to do with the ops thing

BUT it has everything to do with us getting stuck in a 2 person cabin in stead of a cabin that COULD sleep 4!

which, normally carnival would allow depending on the sailing and season where they might have dropped the restriction holding that room for only 4 passengers

just as they might rarely drop the single passenger surcharge sometimes:confused:

Are you sure? I had a conversation with my PVP while booking a cruise once and I asked him if we could book a certain cabin that was limited to 2 capacity (I think it was an upper/lower), despite the fact that there would be 3 of us (the 3rd being our 2 year old and she would just sleep in the bed with either my wife or myself). We wanted to do this because if it was ok to do so, we thought it might save us a bunch of $. I was told that was strictly not allowed because the max cabin occupancy is determined by the number of lifeboats/capacity and that the number of people in a cabin can not exceed the max number for this very reason.

it does not have anything to do with the ops thing

BUT it has everything to do with us getting stuck in a 2 person cabin in stead of a cabin that COULD sleep 4!

which, normally carnival would allow depending on the sailing and season where they might have dropped the restriction holding that room for only 4 passengers

just as they might rarely drop the single passenger surcharge sometimes:confused:

you were on the Fascination which was built before the year 2000 so they are allowed to put 3 in a 2 person cabin with a rollaway or trundle.

Bill

you were on the Fascination which was built before the year 2000 so they are allowed to put 3 in a 2 person cabin with a rollaway or trundle.

Bill

My understanding is it has less to do with the sleeping then the coast guard occupancy for the room....but that is just my take.