Is hot chocolate free - Alaska voyage

juliethecruiser

Anyone who has recently taken an Alaskan cruise, is there free hot chocolate or do you have to pay for it? Reason I'm asking is, I have a friend (more of an acquaintance) who is offering me their unused coffee card (has an expiration date of 12/31/18) for $20 bucks! They got 2 for free on their last cruise but didn't use the second one and don't plan on going on another cruise until late 2019. I was planning on buying it for my husband, who only drinks tea but wants hot chocolate when were in Alaska.

Thank you in advance for sharing your recent experiences.

Your husband can also use the card for unlimited premium tea at the International Cafe. Though if he is not into those artsy-fartsy "blends" of flavors that taste like flowers or spices or anything but tea leaves, he will abandon them quickly.

As for hot chocolate, I vaguely remember it being passed out on deck on the glacier cruising days. I can give a more recent update if there is any free elsewhere on the ship when I return from my Island/Golden doubleheader in a couple weeks.

The hot chocolate is free in the International Cafe with a coffee card. $20 is a good deal for one. I would get it at that price.

I never thought of that. I do drink coffee but didn't think I would use a card worth $36 but if he can get free hot chocolate and premium teas with the coffee card (not having to use any punches), I can probably drink enough specialty coffees to pay for the $20. I think I will take it up with my buddy.

Thank you for your replies.

Your husband can also use the card for unlimited premium tea at the International Cafe. Though if he is not into those artsy-fartsy "blends" of flavors that taste like flowers or spices or anything but tea leaves, he will abandon them quickly.

As for hot chocolate, I vaguely remember it being passed out on deck on the glacier cruising days. I can give a more recent update if there is any free elsewhere on the ship when I return from my Island/Golden doubleheader in a couple weeks.

We're on the Golden June 2nd sailing. When are you going?

I never thought of that. I do drink coffee but didn't think I would use a card worth $36 but if he can get free hot chocolate and premium teas with the coffee card (not having to use any punches), I can probably drink enough specialty coffees to pay for the $20. I think I will take it up with my buddy.

Thank you for your replies.

your "buddy" can't use it...and wants to sell it to you??? SELL IT - for a lousy $20

tell the buddy to pack sand and buy your own...:mad:

Gee... I have this thing that is utterly useless to me but, rather than give it to you, I'll sell it to you for $20. What a great friend. I'd give the thing away free and be glad someone was getting use out of it. Tell the "friend" no thanks.

Gee... I have this thing that is utterly useless to me but, rather than give it to you, I'll sell it to you for $20. What a great friend. I'd give the thing away free and be glad someone was getting use out of it. Tell the "friend" no thanks.

More of an acquaintance, a friend through a friend. The guy is a tightwad and would rather find someone who would buy it from him than give it to a so called friend. He even wanted to sell it to his own son! That's why I call him a tightwad and not simply frugal like me. Even I wouldn't sell something to someone that cost me nothing! I would've simply bought someone's coffee with it onboard, instead of taking a FREE coffee card home with me that expires before I ever cruise again. I've had someone buy my coffee at Starbucks once. A nice gal in front of me, chatting me up about how she liked my purse. I gave her a tip on how to score an authentic Coach purse like mine for 1/2 the cost. I guess she wanted to thank me for that tip and ended up buying my coffee for me. Ever since that happened, I've done similar stuff like that for the next person. Talked to hubby, he doesn't want to have to BUY hot chocolate, just drink the freebie stuff from the buffet. We're passing on the card and let him sell it to someone else.

Edited by juliethecruiser

Totally agree ;)

More of an acquaintance, a friend through a friend. The guy is a tightwad and would rather find someone who would buy it from him than give it to a so called friend. He even wanted to sell it to his own son! That's why I call him a tightwad and not simply frugal like me. Even I wouldn't sell something to someone that cost me nothing! I would've simply bought someone's coffee with it onboard, instead of taking a FREE coffee card home with me that expires before I ever cruise again. I've had someone buy my coffee at Starbucks once. A nice gal in front of me, chatting me up about how she liked my purse. I gave her a tip on how to score an authentic Coach purse like mine for 1/2 the cost. I guess she wanted to thank me for that tip and ended up buying my coffee for me. Ever since that happened, I've done similar stuff like that for the next person. Talked to hubby, he doesn't want to have to BUY hot chocolate, just drink the freebie stuff from the buffet. We're passing on the card and let him sell it to someone else.

The only ships that I recall having free hot chocolate at the buffet are the Regal & Royal.

They may have changed lately.:confused:

Daughter was surprised to find that the hot chocolate at the International Buffet was made with a packet of dry mix. The only difference between that and the stuff at the buffet is that you can ask to have it made with hot milk.

2 weeks ago on the Ruby the hot chocolate I had every morning at the International Cafe was made with chocolate syrup and steamed milk, I even had them put a little whipped cream on the top, it was delicious.

2 weeks ago on the Ruby the hot chocolate I had every morning at the International Cafe was made with chocolate syrup and steamed milk, I even had them put a little whipped cream on the top, it was delicious.

Well, I wasn't with them...but they took the coffee cards and went to the IC on the Caribbean Princess....and came back complaining that it was made from powder and not very good.

Anyone who has recently taken an Alaskan cruise, is there free hot chocolate or do you have to pay for it? Reason I'm asking is, I have a friend (more of an acquaintance) who is offering me their unused coffee card (has an expiration date of 12/31/18) for $20 bucks! They got 2 for free on their last cruise but didn't use the second one and don't plan on going on another cruise until late 2019. I was planning on buying it for my husband, who only drinks tea but wants hot chocolate when were in Alaska.

Thank you in advance for sharing your recent experiences.

We just got off the Ruby in Alaska and they didn't have any at the buffet. No packets and no self serve machine.

It was not free when we took the cruise. I had gotten word about it and brought some Swiss Miss with me for my crew. I was making a cup in the Lido when a lady approached me and asked where I found the hot chocolate. I told her it was home imported and she asked if she could buy some off me. I gave her a packet and had a "new" BFF (lol).

Bought the coffee card just for HC....also had the coverage package...which also has HC included...duh. pointless to have the coffe card for me. But alas...live and learn

It's not a bad idea.

Buy the coffee card for just the free hot chocolate and resell the un-punched coffee card on eBay when you get home. :D