CCL stock today (June 5, 2018)

DaveOKC

We're going to grab the 100 shares tomorrow, but have a question: what will HAL accept as proof of ownership? My wife checked with her financial guy/broker, who said he didn't know how to get her an actual certficate, and asked if a photocopy of a statement showing the 100 shares would be sufficient.

Has anyone else had this problem (if it is a problem)? Thanks.

I just bought my stock a week or so ago. I sent them the purchase confirmation once the purchase went through, and the OBC is on my account for our upcoming cruise in a few days.

...asked if a photocopy of a statement showing the 100 shares would be sufficient.

Yes, a photocopy of a recent brokerage statement is all they need. Just black-out any sensitive, personal information before faxing it.

Yes, a photocopy of a recent brokerage statement is all they need. Just black-out any sensitive, personal information before faxing it.

Thats what I'm about to do. The DW IRA Account statement just showed up for May, so I'll make a copy of the appropriate page and then blank out all the information I don't want them to see (like account number and other stock holdings) Be sure to leave the name viewable, as they need to match that against the reservation.

Also make sure you fax the page with the CCL and not the RCL Stock. We own both and once I faxed the wrong page. Oops!

Another $250 OBC for our cruise this August!

Edited by drowelf

After reading my brokerage's detailed analysis leading to the downgrade, fuel costs are once again the bogey man for all of the cruise companies. Cruise agents' perceptions of weakness in bookings and pricing for Q4, bleeding into Q1 of 2019, is also a factor. (I can attest to an unusually early price reduction for two January cruises.) Add what may be an oversupply of berths in the Caribbean and disappointments in the Chinese market, such a downgrade does seem reasonable to me.

Is CCL still a good investment? I'm not selling it. And, if it drops too much, I will consider adding to my position.

After reading my brokerage's detailed analysis leading to the downgrade, fuel costs are once again the bogey man for all of the cruise companies. Cruise agents' perceptions of weakness in bookings and pricing for Q4, bleeding into Q1 of 2019, is also a factor. (I can attest to an unusually early price reduction for two January cruises.) Add what may be an oversupply of berths in the Caribbean and disappointments in the Chinese market, such a downgrade does seem reasonable to me.

Is CCL still a good investment? I'm not selling it. And, if it drops too much, I will consider adding to my position.

IMO, it somewhat depends on your definition of "good investment". Short term, long term, safety, dividend yield, growth, etc.

Short term I see some potential issues that the analyst points out that could hurt the stock. Long term, I like the nice dividend % and the fact that it is a growing business, thanks to the baby boomers reaching peak cruising age.

Being in an oil producing state, I have come to view the oil price movements as constantly changing direction, with the long term trend being lower, due to better drilling processes and the potential for new energy sources to reduce demand (electric cars, wind and solar power, etc). So, I view this issue as a temporary one for the cruise lines.

Of course, no one can predict the future of any stock, so you just have to decide for yourself.

It sounds like you already have the information to answer your question. For those of us who are lifetime Carnival Corp cruisers, trying to buy at the absolute bottom isn't such a big deal. To me, CCL is a buy and hold stock due to the shareholder credit benefit and the dividends. For anyone not already a shareholder, buying any dip is likely to be a good CCL investor strategy if they are or plan to be a lifetime cruiser.

The article I read referred to good cruise bookings but flat pricing. It didn’t reference fuel prices. We have shares of both RCI and CCL for the cruise credit. RCI has actually been a much better investment over the long term.

The article I read referred to good cruise bookings but flat pricing. It didn’t reference fuel prices. We have shares of both RCI and CCL for the cruise credit. RCI has actually been a much better investment over the long term.

I don't know what article you read, but my brokerage's analysts report clearly indicated a concern about fuel costs for CCL. Fuel costs for RCI and NCLH also were mentioned, but to a lesser degree. Flat to weakness in pricing, particularly for Q4 and Q1 for the Caribbean was another concern.

I also own RCI and understand your comment about being the better investment. I re-bought it almost at its low during the recession and have been amazed at how much the price has risen, particularly in comparison to CCL's price at that time and its increase in price.

I don't know what article you read, but my brokerage's analysts report clearly indicated a concern about fuel costs for CCL. Fuel costs for RCI and NCLH also were mentioned, but to a lesser degree. Flat to weakness in pricing, particularly for Q4 and Q1 for the Caribbean was another concern.

I also own RCI and understand your comment about being the better investment. I re-bought it almost at its low during the recession and have been amazed at how much the price has risen, particularly in comparison to CCL's price at that time and its increase in price.

IMO, RCL stock is more subject to the ups and downs of the market. If you look at the high/low of it vs CCL, you will see about a 30% swing, vs 20% for CCL. Dividends are another factor, being almost a full point higher at CCL (which can act a a buffer during price declines.

I do not know which is a "better" investment, as each person's views of an investment is different. While both of these companies are in the same industry, they do have different profiles.

I believe the concern was that CCL futures contract for fuel was ending sooner than the others and they would have to begin a new contract with the current higher prices.

IMO, RCL stock is more subject to the ups and downs of the market. If you look at the high/low of it vs CCL, you will see about a 30% swing, vs 20% for CCL. Dividends are another factor, being almost a full point higher at CCL (which can act a a buffer during price declines.

I do not know which is a "better" investment, as each person's views of an investment is different. While both of these companies are in the same industry, they do have different profiles.

"Different profiles": I do agree. Cash flow, debt levels: differ as I read the Annual Reports.

I believe the concern was that CCL futures contract for fuel was ending sooner than the others and they would have to begin a new contract with the current higher prices.

Yes, that was what I thought was the concern of the analysts as well.

Two thoughts...

• The OBC amount scales with the length of your cruise ($50 ~ $250) -- but if you are on another CCL

brand, some/all cruises on those brands do not use USD aboard, and generally give less SOBC, e.g.

£30 for a short cruise on Cunard.

• If you only plan to buy 100 shares, are you really going to consider selling before you stop cruising?

(SOBC pushes my return to over 8%/yr)