Visa question for Cuba Cruisers...

Portolan

Just FYI, at this link on the Regent web site (https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/travel-requirements-cuba) under "DO I NEED A VISA TO VISIT CUBA," it states that "Please note that you will not be allowed to board the vessel without proof of acquiring a Cuban visa." So thinking that you can ignore or opt out of this by saying you will stay on the ship probably won't work. I think your options if the cruise is going to Cuba are to cough up the $75/pp, or change/refund your cruise (helps if you have a good TA to make this happen). Otherwise you may be waving goodbye from the dock.

Just FYI, at this link on the Regent web site (https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/travel-requirements-cuba) under "DO I NEED A VISA TO VISIT CUBA," it states that "Please note that you will not be allowed to board the vessel without proof of acquiring a Cuban visa." So thinking that you can ignore or opt out of this by saying you will stay on the ship probably won't work. I think your options if the cruise is going to Cuba are to cough up the $75/pp, or change/refund your cruise (helps if you have a good TA to make this happen). Otherwise you may be waving goodbye from the dock.

What I can tell you probably has something to do with timing but we signed on and paid for cruise X at an agreed upon fee and then they switched it to cruise Z which required additional fees and attesting on some sort of government form that we were visiting for a "people to people" stay. We were not. I did check with our lawyer who was stunned that we were being told to sign something under fraudulent circumstances. We were angry enough at everything but were allowed to board as the whole fuss was delaying people trying to embark. They said they could sort it all out once on board..... where they again tried to insist that we sign and pay the additional fees. We flat out refused and the matter was dropped. I made sure that no additional charges showed up on our Amex and they did not. I hope this helps.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. It amuses me when people contact attorneys that seem to be on their side until they read Regent's legal statements. IMO, if you are not willing to abide by Regent's rules, perhaps Regent is not the cruise line for you.

Do I like when Regent makes changes of this type? No! Would I complain about it on CC? Probably not! Actually, after reading that Regent changed one port that we are scheduled to visit on Splendor to Havana (but on another sailing), we began hoping that they would change ours as well.

We do not support the government of Cuba, we definitely support the people (not meant as a political comment).

Hello, Regent should be aware , (specially since Mr Frank del Rio is himself Cuban born) that there're Regent pax that have been born in Cuba, like me. In that case, if I'm involuntarily enrolled in a Cuba cruise, and not allowed to opt out cost free, that's not right. I'm not willing to pay $300 extra to the Cuban government for the "privilege" to visit this apartheid island if I'm not advised before the penalty period of this itinerary. I'm shocked that Mr del Rio , a Cuban American, is engaging in these shady business practices.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. It amuses me when people contact attorneys that seem to be on their side until they read Regent's legal statements. IMO, if you are not willing to abide by Regent's rules, perhaps Regent is not the cruise line for you.

I'm amused that you still don't get it. I'm amused that you find nothing wrong with signing your name to a form that is clearly a lie. I'm also amused that, over the years...on these boards....including many posts that were yanked, that you gave CC readers veiled warnings that Regent lawyers were monitoring these threads when you (or someone) didn't care for the tone of the discussion. As for contacting an attorney, it was a pretty easy contact to make while walking 2 horses out to a paddock for turnout. This particular situation did not concern your sailing..

What about supporting other pax that may not want to involuntarily travel to this island "paradise"???

Good point. I do feel that people born in Cuba is a very special circumstance and should be treated accordingly. That is a good question for FDR - one that I will ask him.

The Cuban government in its immense wisdom (yes, I'm being sarcastic) forces those who left Cuba before 1971 to obtain a visa calle H11 which costs near $300, it is only good for three months, and can only be used to enter Cuba once. They don't care that these people are US citizens. Those born after 1971 have to get a Cuban Passport again regardless of fact they are US citizens. This is the Cuban government policy and there is nothing FDR or any cruise lines can do about it. The Cuban government is making millions with the cruises and forcing US citizens who were born in Cuba to obtain a special visa or passport. The Cuban constitution reads (I Googled it and read that part) that if a Cuban citizen gives up its citizenship, they are no longer Cuban citizens. It does not recognize dual citizenship. Since the Cuban government does not care about the constitution they have this ridiculous requirement to make money. That said, I don't agree that if you wish to stay onboard, you're forced to pay for visa whether it is $75 or the one for those born in Cuba. By the way, for those born in Cuba, you have to obtain that H11 visa "prior" to getting on the ship from the US consulate or companies that provide it. So, I'm assuming is a Cuban policy that regardless or whether you set foot in the country or stay on the ship, you have to have a visa.

So, I'm assuming is a Cuban policy that regardless or whether you set foot in the country or stay on the ship, you have to have a visa.

Absolutely. That's why it is meaningless to beat up on Regent for requiring this. Otherwise, the ship could be refused entry. I should also note that even if you don't leave the ship, you are in Cuba (or whatever country you dock in). The ship isn't sovereign territory.

The bottom line is that you should only want to be on a cruise that goes to Cuba if, in fact, you want to visit Cuba. If you don't want to visit Cuba, you should switch to another cruise or cancel. Especially for the former, any competent TA should be able to make this happen at no cost. I'm in no way critical of those who don't want to visit for any of the reasons offered. I'd just like to see everyone happy and clearly you won't be if visiting a place you don't wish to.

For those who object to signing a "fraudulent" document, Here's the statement which I signed: "Educational Exchanges - group people-to-people through Regent Seven Seas Cruises." Do I see this as educational? Absolutely. I consider all travel educational. I'm north of 100 countries and territories to date (still 200 or so to go. I also expect to meet some Cubans and any interaction I have with them--even the guides and drivers--is people-to-people. I learn something about them and they learn something about me. So, I don't view this affidavit as fraudulent at all.

What about supporting other pax that may not want to involuntarily travel to this island "paradise"???

I completely agree with you! I understand your feelings and the amount of money you would be charged for this “privilege”. On our Splendor sailing, just three months later, we are scheduled to visit Grand Cayman anyway.

However, I really think Regent should pick up the cost for the visas, since they changed the schedule.

Sheila

Absolutely. That's why it is meaningless to beat up on Regent for requiring this. Otherwise, the ship could be refused entry. I should also note that even if you don't leave the ship, you are in Cuba (or whatever country you dock in). The ship isn't sovereign territory.

I'm not saying Regent shouldn't require the visa. I'm saying that if they decide to change the cruise to include Cuba after I've made final payment its not right for Regent to make me incur penalties if I want to cancel the cruise. Not only as a Cuban American I need to pay about $300, I'm also not considered a US citizen while in Cuba, and I will not be afforded any protection from the US Consulate if for whatever reason the Cuban government decides to accuse me of something. This is a clear warning offered in the US State Dept website.

I completely agree with you! I understand your feelings and the amount of money you would be charged for this “privilege”. On our Splendor sailing, just three months later, we are scheduled to visit Grand Cayman anyway.

However, I really think Regent should pick up the cost for the visas, since they changed the schedule.

Sheila

I really hope that in our Transcanal cruise they don't substitute Cuba for any other port. Not sure if I'll continue with the cruise if they do that.

I'm not saying Regent shouldn't require the visa. I'm saying that if they decide to change the cruise to include Cuba after I've made final payment its not right for Regent to make me incur penalties if I want to cancel the cruise. Not only as a Cuban American I need to pay about $300, I'm also not considered a US citizen while in Cuba, and I will not be afforded any protection from the US Consulate if for whatever reason the Cuban government decides to accuse me of something. This is a clear warning offered in the US State Dept website.

That is not completely true unless you have a dual citizenship passport Cuban and American. This act was enacted in 1971. Of course Cubans have access to the embassy if they only hold only an American passport as they are deemed American Citizens and afforded their rights there.

You can google this if you like. Visa requirements are what they are.

Again, this is where your TA should be earning his or her bucks. Everything is negotiable to a point. They ought to be able to get you some consideration for the unexpected expense.

Your concern as a Cuban-American is understandable about protections as a US citizen. We'd hope that the Cuban government understands that if they want to promote tourism, they can't screw with the tourists.

Thank you, lets hope it doesn't come to pass. I would like to go back but under the right circumstances ( for me)

We hope this doesn’t happen. (yn)(y) With all that is being written, perhaps Regent will see that we are a group of friends and we all want to travel on our cruise together.

Sheila and Herb

We hope this doesn’t happen. (yn)(y) With all that is being written, perhaps Regent will see that we are a group of friends and we all want to travel on our cruise together.

Sheila and Herb

Thanks Sheila. Of all people, Mr Del Rio should understand that Cuba is different than other ports ( in more ways than one), and that not everybody sees it as a plus and may have severe conflicts with it. I understand he's trying to maximize his company's profits, but he shouldn't railroad people into being part of it.