NCL cancelled the Nov 27-Dec 7th 10 day cruiseon the SUN to S Caribbean from Miami!!

elruth

Have no clue what goes thru their minds. My niece was supposed to be on the Sun first week of October out of Port Canaveral to Key West & Cuba. That was changed to Sun out of miami for a 7 day that week. They offered up Miami on the Sky Cuba & Great Stirrup 4 day and the price went up for whatever reasons. I was so relieved I hadn't booked yet. I didn't want a 4 day to begin with but was warmed up to the idea of both Key West & Cuba. Well that warmth went away with that change.

Thanks guys! We had two cabins drop out of the group over NCL frustrations, but glad to have the worst behind us.

You will still have a great time. now, you can plan on a fun time with friends and family. That is more important than the ports you are visiting any day.

I'd would suggest that when the cruise lines cancels a cruise the onus is on the cruise line to refund all monies paid to date including airfare and related pre-cruise expenses, i.e. non refundable hotel bookings etc.

I agree that this should be a good thing.

If they cancel just to be able to sell more expensive cruises the cruiseline should have to pay for it.

If they cancel for things they can't be responsible for, their insurance should take care of it.

I understand that the cruises should cost a little more but think that it's worth it.

I agree that this should be a good thing.

If they cancel just to be able to sell more expensive cruises the cruiseline should have to pay for it.

If they cancel for things they can't be responsible for, their insurance should take care of it.

I understand that the cruises should cost a little more but think that it's worth it.

agree they should, but should and do are 2 different things. When one line decides to start refunding all costs, the rest will follow.

This is the notice I received re: the cancellation of the cruise and the various options.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Sun's 10-Day Southern Caribbean sailing on November 27, 2018 from Miami, Florida. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Because of a scheduling change the 10-Day Southern Caribbean sailing departing on November 27, 2018 is no longer available. Norwegian is offering guests currently booked and fully deposited the following options:

Option 1: Move to the new itinerary at current published fares and receive a 10% discount off the cruise fare. If you choose this option a $100 per stateroom onboard credit will be applied to your onboard account. Onboard credits can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges. Please click on the following link to view the new itinerary: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ItinChange_Sun_Cuba10_Nov212018.pdf

Option 2: Move to one of the following sailings at current published fares and receive a 10% discount off the cruise fare:

- Norwegian Jade - 11-day Panama Canal sailing on November 5, 2018;

- Norwegian Jade - 11-day Panama Canal sailing on November 26, 2018;

- Norwegian Star - 14-day Panama Canal sailing on November 30, 2018.

Option 3: Move to any 9-day or longer sailing in our fleet from July 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018 at the current published fare and your deposit will be moved to the new ship and date. If you choose this option a $100 per stateroom onboard credit will be applied to your onboard account. Onboard credits can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges.

Norwegian will also cover up to $300 maximum per person air change fees.

Reservations will be cancelled and all received payments automatically refunded. If you are interested in one of the above offers, please contact us by June 26, 2018, so that we can modify your reservation. We are standing by to assist you on our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

For any guests booked outside of the US/Canada please visit www.ncl.com for our local contact information. For your convenience, we are pleased to offer the service of VisaCentral, the fast and easy way to obtain a visa, passport and other documents for travel anywhere in the world. As a reminder it is the guests' responsibility to obtain all necessary documentation for travel. Please visit http://www.visacentral.com/ncl for information.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and look forward to assisting you.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Senior Vice President, Passenger Services

Perhaps NCL are on to something new here, in a real bad way.

A particular sailing not selling well? Just cancel the cruise and to hell with customers and their plans/flights, who cares!

Then revisit the itinerary and reprice, naturally at a higher price.

All of the above "for you convenience", naturally. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

oh come on now, you know that is not the reason for a cancellation, especially 6 months out. No one knows how well the ship is going to sell.

So, do you still think I was incorrect on calling NCL out on this one?

Edited by 1AL

I'd would suggest that when the cruise lines cancels a cruise the onus is on the cruise line to refund all monies paid to date including airfare and related pre-cruise expenses, i.e. non refundable hotel bookings etc.

The cruise line's reasoning for not refunding air and hotel is this: theses are items not directly related to your cruise. They are costs pre cruise expenses as you say and not their responsibility. This is the same as an airline cancelling a flight which happens or changing the schedule leaving you with additional costs. They feel this is not their responsibility. Again, not fair to the passenger but that is how they look at it and this has nothing to do with why they made the change.

Edited by newmexicoNita

They feel this is not their responsibility. Again, not fair to the passenger but that is how they look at it and this has nothing to do with why they made the change.

I know what's in the fine prints and if we want to book a cruise we have to accept it. That's how it is.

I don't agree with the cruiselines about responsibility because they must understand that if they sell cruises to people living far from the embarkation port their customers have to arrange to get to the port and that cost.

It has everything to do with why they made the change. If they cancel to be able to sell more expensive cruises to other passengers or because they decide to let someone charter the whole ship they really should have to PAY!

It they have to cancel because something happens to the ship so that they need to repair it it's not their fault but I think that they should have insurence for that kind of things.

As said it's in the fine prints so we have to live with it, or don't book cruises!

This is the same as an airline cancelling a flight which happens or changing the schedule leaving you with additional costs.

Defenitely not the same thing.

If an airline cancel a flight just because they want to they will have to take care of the additional costs for their customers. (Or is that a European thing?)

If a flight is cancelled because of bad weather the airline don't have to give their customers more than what they have paid for their flight because it's not the airlines fault and they can't do anything about it.

My experiece is that airlines try to help their customers as much as they can but I'm sure that other might have another experience of that.

Defenitely not the same thing.

If an airline cancel a flight just because they want to they will have to take care of the additional costs for their customers. (Or is that a European thing?)

If a flight is cancelled because of bad weather the airline don't have to give their customers more than what they have paid for their flight because it's not the airlines fault and they can't do anything about it.

My experiece is that airlines try to help their customers as much as they can but I'm sure that other might have another experience of that.

In Europe they have even greater consumer protections but in the USA we also have well known protections regarding the Airlines. New Mexico Nita’s analogy is inaccurate. Not sure why but she’s used it many times In The past.

We don’t have the same protections for the cruise lines as we do with the Airlines and so yes they actually can sell you a cruise and then decide that they can cancel the sale and make more $ by selling your stateroom to someone else. They only have to give you your $ back. Most lines prefer to make the canceled passengers happy by offering up a fair alternatives and compensation for your hassle.

It’s one of the only industry’s I can think of that can actually do this to consumers and definitely not something you’re likely to consider when planning your dream vacation.

I didn't read the whole thread, just the first and last pages but wanted to add that Royal's policy for our canceled cruise was much better than NCL's.

We had a Royal cruise cancelled, a year in advance, and were offered much better rates for an alternate cruise, or cruise of our choice, huge OBC, but comparable airfare refund (although airfares were not published one year out) and more time to decide. Just saying!!

This offer is a disgrace for a cruise that's only 4 months away and THEY -NCL cancelled the cruise!

BTW, we cruise both Royal and NCL (love both) and are a higher rewards level than Royal...most cruises with NCL so far!

A particular sailing not selling well? Just cancel the cruise and to hell with customers and their plans/flights, who cares!

All of the above "for you convenience", naturally. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally, I think the realize that Cuba sailings are hot and people will pay more.

I totally agree, I don't like the sound of this at all..

Just learned that our cruise was canceled and the Panama Canal/ Cuba one is in it's place. Since one of the main reasons I booked this cruise (besides the great itinerary) was the free port fees and taxes I'll be a tad pissed if they won't apply it to the replacement cruise. Still haven't been able to talk to anyone to see what we can do instead....

There not budging on at least honoring the price the people already booked on the ship. The reason they replaced some of the itinerary for Cuba is because Cuba is so popular and the cruises are more expensive. I think that by them not honoring the reservations of those already booked just shows me that NCL is not a cruise line to be trusted.

That your opinion and you’re entitled to it. There’s a lot of people that would disagree with you just as there’s a lot of people that would disagree with me.

Have a nice evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The point of the thread is that they cancelled a cruise only to change the itinerary and those who wished to keep their reservation had to pay 600 PP additional. I don't care how nice the ship is, that is not good business.

Never mind, I found it - at least $650 per person more than the previous itinerary on the same ship, same dates, with fewer perks.

Absolutely, if you want to keep your reservation on the Sun, that date you pay over 600.00 more.

Been on Sun for 22 days and it was awesome.

As for why the change ... I would hazard the 4 day Cuba before wasn’t selling so they made it one.

So the people with existing reservations pay over 600.00 more? Doesn't make sense when Cuba is selling very well.

I am glad you have another cruise to look forward to, and hope you get your refund.

It would be nice if they told you why it was cancelled. I hope it was for some kind of necessary dry dock, and not a charter. I don't think it is right to cancel peoples vacations with such short notice for a charter cruise. If it was for a charter, they should tell you what group chartered the ship. It could be a group some one may want to cruise with.

It is not cancelled for dry dock or even a Charter. They simply changed the itinerary and asked those booked for 600+ PP more money because it includes Cuba.