Food in Rome and Venice

Nurse Mom

We typically avoid any restaurant that has a menu in multiple languages...most especially those that paste it on the window or door. We typically try to find a place that is frequented by locals, slightly off the main drag. We do not really bother with guide book recommendations unless it is public market etc. frequented by locals. There are exceptons, especially if we are travelling late in the shoulder season-say November in Rome. Never be shy to ask the price of anything. We often split dishes which allows us both to try additional items.

We typically take the house wine. In some of the tourist spots if you order the house wine the waiter will suggest another local specialty. But he will not mention the price and counts on your not asking either. The wine comes with a surprise when the bill arrives.

Whatever you do, understand that if you are in Venice, in the square, with lovely live music just understand that if you are both having a coffee and a dessert the price will be anywhere from 26-40E.

Pizza in Venice is an iffy prospect -- the region is not really known for pizza. In Venice look for seafood and risotto. If you want a quick lunch, I'd go instead for panini.

Pizza in Rome is generally much better. Roman pizza has a very thin (almost burned at the edges) crust. A perennial favorite is Pizzarium, near the Vatican. Personally I am rarely in that area and wouldn't go there just for pizza -- but if you're nearby you should try it.

Gelato definitely varies in quality and price. Be careful in the touristy areas -- never let them talk you into a "special" without knowing the price. Just order what most Italians get -- a small cup or cone, which generally entitles you to two different flavors. Part of the fun is mixing and matching them.

I noticed when I was in Rome in June that Venchi, the premier Italian chocolatiers, have opened a series of shops that also sell gelato. I didn't try them (I already have my favorite places...) but they seemed packed.

What are your Favorite restaurants, gelato, and pizza in Rome and Venice?

And recommendations to avoid "tourist trap food"?

Pizza good in Rome at the small little take outs on little side streets also look for out way little restaurants for pasta.

In Venice there are some take out pasta places served in chinese take out containers. Our favorite. Also pizza at places that sell by the slice much better that sit down places. Otherwise just look for something with great atmosphere or vies.

We typically avoid any restaurant that has a menu in multiple languages...most especially those that paste it on the window or door. We typically try to find a place that is frequented by locals, slightly off the main drag. We do not really bother with guide book recommendations unless it is public market etc. frequented by locals. There are exceptons, especially if we are travelling late in the shoulder season-say November in Rome. Never be shy to ask the price of anything. We often split dishes which allows us both to try additional items.

We typically take the house wine. In some of the tourist spots if you order the house wine the waiter will suggest another local specialty. But he will not mention the price and counts on your not asking either. The wine comes with a surprise when the bill arrives.

Whatever you do, understand that if you are in Venice, in the square, with lovely live music just understand that if you are both having a coffee and a dessert the price will be anywhere from 26-40E.

I agree with iancal. Also beware of laminated menus in many languages with pictures of the food!

Beware of restaurants around San Marco's and highly touristy areas. They seem to have been taken over by the Chinese. They serve the "standard" dishes shown in those menus with pictures.

When looking for gelato, don't go to places with bright colored gelato or big mounds in the tubs (those are from commercial stores). A hint, look at the banana flavor - it should be gray not yellow and therefore homemade and natural.

When looking for gelato' date=' don't go to places with bright colored gelato or big mounds in the tubs (those are from commercial stores). A hint, look at the banana flavor - it should be gray not yellow and therefore homemade and natural.[/quote']

Wow this is such a good hint! Thank you!

When looking for gelato' date=' don't go to places with bright colored gelato or big mounds in the tubs (those are from commercial stores). A hint, look at the banana flavor - it should be gray not yellow and therefore homemade and natural.[/quote']

Not sure if I'd say gray -- maybe look for a sort of 'ecru' color. Definitely NOT bright yellow though... :eek:

Here's a pretty good article on how to differentiate the "real deal" from gelato wannabe sellers: https://www.thelocal.it/20170622/find-the-best-quality-real-artisanal-gelato-ice-cream-in-italy

But of course, since these types of articles have been circulating for the last few years, I recently read an interview with the true top gelato makers in Italy, who suggested that even these tips are now widely copied by gelaterias with inferior products.

Best thing to do -- look online for recent articles about the best gelato in a particular city, or look at sites like Chowhound.

Not sure if I'd say gray -- maybe look for a sort of 'ecru' color. Definitely NOT bright yellow though... :eek:

Here's a pretty good article on how to differentiate the "real deal" from gelato wannabe sellers: https://www.thelocal.it/20170622/find-the-best-quality-real-artisanal-gelato-ice-cream-in-italy

But of course, since these types of articles have been circulating for the last few years, I recently read an interview with the true top gelato makers in Italy, who suggested that even these tips are now widely copied by gelaterias with inferior products.

Best thing to do -- look online for recent articles about the best gelato in a particular city, or look at sites like Chowhound.

True but sometimes you just feel like a gelato NOW. Especially in port when you don’t want to waste time. I’m going to look at the banana and if it’s bright yellow, no go. Game changer. [emoji3]

True but sometimes you just feel like a gelato NOW. Especially in port when you don’t want to waste time. [emoji3]

Luckily there are selfless individuals like myself who spend substantial time and effort in Rome doing gelato field studies.

You're welcome. ;)

We preferred the food in Rome over Venice when we went. We did use our guide books in Rome and were quite satisfied with the options they gave. Trastavere is a wonderful area to find lots of delightful restaurants and trattorias. Again, if the place is full of locals, you know it will be good. I strongly recommend checking out the website called RomeWise. I found it invaluable with tips and hints on places to eat, to see, and how things work in that city. I can't really recommend anything in Venice, as our meals there were simply okay. We didn't really go by the guide books there. Anything with fish would probably be a good choice, however.

We preferred the food in Rome over Venice when we went. We did use our guide books in Rome and were quite satisfied with the options they gave. Trastavere is a wonderful area to find lots of delightful restaurants and trattorias. Again, if the place is full of locals, you know it will be good. I strongly recommend checking out the website called RomeWise. I found it invaluable with tips and hints on places to eat, to see, and how things work in that city. I can't really recommend anything in Venice, as our meals there were simply okay. We didn't really go by the guide books there. Anything with fish would probably be a good choice, however.

Be very careful if ordering fish. There was an account in the newspaper a while ago of people who ordered fish in Venice and were shocked by a massive bill at the end. It is charged by weight and is very expensive there apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While in Rome, definitely go to Frigadarium. It is only a few blocks away from Piazza Navona. It was absolutely incredible!! I asked several local people and they said it is one of, if not the best gelato in Rome. Very reasonably priced and fantastic taste. Usually a line but it moves fast. You will not be disappointed.

Enjoy!

Having just returned from 5 days in Venice, we had some excellent meals our favourite was a mixed grilled fish platter from Ai Tre Archi this was 30 euros per head for a minimum of two people and not sold by weight. It was our 5th visit so we mainly kept well away from the tourist areas and had some of the best food we have eaten there.

While in Rome, definitely go to Frigadarium. It is only a few blocks away from Piazza Navona. It was absolutely incredible!! I asked several local people and they said it is one of, if not the best gelato in Rome. Very reasonably priced and fantastic taste. Usually a line but it moves fast. You will not be disappointed.

Enjoy!

Thank you! We will be at Piazza Navona next week.

What are your Favorite restaurants, gelato, and pizza in Rome and Venice?

And recommendations to avoid "tourist trap food"?

If you are anywhere near the Vatican Museum there is a gelato shop names BIG BRIDGE(On the right around the corner before you get to the entrance. We learned about it from CruiseCritic a few years back, our first trip to Rome/Vatican area we ate there everyday and again on the return trip. They make their own gelato (it was 1.5 € for 1 large coupe and 2€ for 2 coupes) and next door is a small restaurant.