Royal Caribbean Fights Back!

LauraS

The new issue of Vanity Fair with Terri Hatcher on the cover has an article. I found it fairly well reported, not accusatory toward Royal Caribbean and pretty balanced. They reported that the spa appt was at 8:30 while every other account has been that it was at 10 am. It also comments on how sensationalistic the cable news coverage has been.

as here in Cleveland, they just built a brand new office complex for themselves on the Lake with Helipad, boat lauch, and the best security known to man. The TV station next door always states that they get the safety factor being neighbors. I got to visit last year when they moved in and 2 floors of DNA, forensics, etc. They have eyeball scans to enter too.

I just went to the International Cruise Victims site and read the article on George Smith. Here's a quote from that article:

The Connecticut Federal Bureau of Investigation and Department of Justice continue to actively investigate the suspicious circumstances surrounding George’s disappearance.

I didn't realize that Connecticut had their own FBI. I'm glad to know that the state and federal officials are working together.;)

I would think if Dr. Lee really found anything it the family would have been already using it in their crusade. The way the news media has been covering this story really makes one wonder how many other news stories they are distorting and the quality (or lack thereof) of their research and reporting.
Don't wonder, its been happening regularly for at least as long as 60 Minutes has been on the air.

The web site is http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org. Some interesting reading on there.

There's some equally interesting reading on this one: http://www.*****/cruise_ship_forums.html.

Their "Passenger Wall of Shame" skewers cruise message boards (including this one) for featuring pictures and takes passengers to task for posting their personal information...some good points are made, but this site just gives me the creeps.

They are showing the "make me barf" video of Goerge & Jen kissing at the pool & stating that Carnival Cruiselines, who had nothing to do with the disappearance of a very drunk George Smith on his honeymoon cruise where he doesn't sleep with his wife. His parents are now suing President Dickerson of Carnival from his "no big deal" term used referencing their son George IV.

He found this new item pretty sad when parents do not know what a jerk their son is, a honeymoon that the two newlyweds are not with each other. The major fight in the bar with them very drunk & her found later on in the hall asleep on the employees doorway door. She was taken by the medical staff to her room which showed no blood or mischief in it, just lived in. She shows 3 hours later for a couples message without him 3 hours early????

If we find this a normal honeymoon to email him as he doesn't & his family should appologize to all who have heard their stories of all the blood, the murder & everything else they want in a movie to make millions & they won't sell one DVD.

I APPLAUD FOX! IF GRETA HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT I APPLAUD HER ALSO.

They are showing the "make me barf" video of Goerge & Jen kissing at the pool & stating that Carnival Cruiselines, who had nothing to do with the disappearance of a very drunk George Smith on his honeymoon cruise where he doesn't sleep with his wife. His parents are now suing President Dickerson of Carnival from his "no big deal" term used referencing their son George IV.

He found this new item pretty sad when parents do not know what a jerk their son is, a honeymoon that the two newlyweds are not with each other. The major fight in the bar with them very drunk & her found later on in the hall asleep on the employees doorway door. She was taken by the medical staff to her room which showed no blood or mischief in it, just lived in. She shows 3 hours later for a couples message without him 3 hours early????

If we find this a normal honeymoon to email him as he doesn't & his family should appologize to all who have heard their stories of all the blood, the murder & everything else they want in a movie to make millions & they won't sell one DVD.

I APPLAUD FOX! IF GRETA HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT I APPLAUD HER ALSO.

Uncle Bob's comments were taken out of context. He was taking about something else (media), not the event per se. I saw him on Greata Tuesday night.

I watched FOX tonight...........and the story of Dickerson calling it a "non event", standing next to Goldstein of RCCL.

I don't keep up with everything that MACOP does.........but it's sort of like the president of BP standing next to Chevron....... going over a murder at a 7-11 that pumps the Chevron brand.

The cruise ship industry is nothing more than gigantic hotels at sea. Check with your local Hilton and see the death score for the past year.

Somehow I believe that this has been blown so far out of proportion, by the NEWS media, and only a handful of attorneys will see any benefit.

Rick

Somehow I believe that this has been blown so far out of proportion, by the NEWS media, and only a handful of attorneys will see any benefit.

Rick

I have to take exception to this, as my husband and I, as well as many family members all work for the dreaded "Media". You're painting us with a very broad brush here. Not all news outlets have blown this out of proportion, only the tabloid ones. The legitimate ones covered the original event, and briefly covered the hearings last week.

Inside Edition, Geraldo Rivera, Fox, etc. are the ones who are doing all the shouting and are presenting speculation as actual fact. And who can blame them? It's irresistable! It has all the delightfully juicy makings of a detective novel: romance, foreign intrigue and a possible murder. No wonder the tabloids cannot resist speculation, and never let the actual facts deter them in any way. When speculation is reported, it can quickly become "fact", even when it isn't fact at all. Let's not forget Richard Jewel and the Atlanta Olympic bombings, or the first reports out of Oklahoma City about how "Arab Terrorists" bombed the federal building. Neither of those proved to be true in the end, did they? In this day and age of 24 hour instant news channels, we find we have a lot of time to fill live on the air. Next time you're watching some live news breaking on CNN, listen carefully to what the reporter is saying. Very often, when they don't have the facts yet, they start speculating about what is going on, which in turn, people take as factual reporting. Very dangerous precedent, IMO.

By the way, I read the Vanity Fair article yesterday, and found it to be the most complete, informative and fair account of the event I've seen so far. It also jibes with the RCCL timeline. The author came to the same conclusions that I have: The guy was drunk as a skunk, climbed onto the balcony rail for whatever stupid reason, and fell off on his own. Although Smith was unfortunate enough to hook up with the Russian Bad Boys (or were they unfortunate enough to hook up with him?), it doesn't mean or prove in any way that they harmed him. I assure you that if the FBI had any evidence that they had harmed Smith, they'd already be in custody.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying "consider the source" when you hear these reports, and please don't blame all of us who work in the media, as we are not all created equally. Thanks.

After my FF viewing of TIVO this morning, Greta once again was the only show that made mention of the letter from Dickerson to the Smiths apologizing for out of context comments made at a meeting that he was shocked media was there, again because of them, as we all know. So they have 3 months & 8 days til their lawsuit runs out. Will they do it?

Another great note of a happy ending for the Oregon 6. The 6 family members who took a rented RV on a day trip to the ocean, to make his wife happy with the 2 children & his parents. On their way back down a dirt road that is a short cut (in the summer) they were hit with 3 feet of snow packed in RV which ran out of gas so no heat. The police saw the father & son walking on the road trying to get assistance. State police with their chopper, fire department are there getting them out. Abrams had such a happy show telling all about the breaking news that was HAPPY!

Uncle Bob's comments were taken out of context. He was taking about something else (media), not the event per se. I saw him on Greata Tuesday night.

I agree that some do dwell on this subject a bit much, and I agree with your last phrase above.

However, if you have a son, brother, nephew, or close male friend that died in this manner, would YOU appreciate someone making a joke like this about him?

Being the mother of two sons in their 20's, my heart breaks every time I think of what happened to this guy, whether he used poor judgement or not.

I doubt if what I'm writing to you right now will make a difference to you, but you truly should be ashamed of your response above. Get a life, indeed! Why not try getting a little respect and compassion for the family that just might read your comments?

Peggy, you are definitely not alone in your thinking.

###

However, if you have a son, brother, nephew, or close male friend that died in this manner, would YOU appreciate someone making a joke like this about him?

The difference is, the family was the first to make it a joke. That's the whole point. This whole thing is a 'joke' because the family is making it so.

And the family wants to sue RCI because George got drunk. They OWN a chain of liquor stores. That's the joke. It's always funny to see them on tv. Bree wants info from RCI. But see cut them off months ago.

TIVO stated Joe but it was a very loud mouth big eyed guy with a very stupid show. So we see what happens tonite. Maybe they axed him.

Then we have our favorite Sue on with Rita who just happened to mention RCCL's murder of George Smith & I jumped short of bashing our $5000 TV. They are talking about all the people beheading folks, folks missing on a RV vacation (they were found 2 days ago in the RV all save. They also live in it not rented but purchased when they sold their house.) Then cruise ship & how unsafe they are which I am ready to challenge her to show up here! I sent her an email, told her to look for our topic & to come here to hundreds of happy RCCL, Celebrity, and any other line they all have their area here. Why this woman is out to get them, and the Sue is enough to slice your wrists. TIME TO BUMP RITA!!!!!

Peggy - I agree with all your thoughts. (Still waiting to hear from you!) Margie

Margie! I sent you an email the day you posted last time! You didn't get it? I'll try again....same email address as before, right?

A very tragic news release this morning from RCCL regarding a private tour in Chile booked by cruisers that was not a Celebrity excursion. 12 killed!

Update: Bus Accident In Chile - Press Conference In Morning

MIAMI, March 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises continues to work closely with Chilean and U.S. authorities to assist its guests and their family members affected by today's tragic bus accident near Arica, Chile.

Updated information indicates that 12 guests from the company's ship Millennium were killed and two were injured in the accident. The guests were on an independent, private tour, not affiliated with the cruise line. Celebrity Cruises has notified all the emergency contacts provided by the affected guests.

"We continue to work with Chilean authorities and the U.S. Consulate in Santiago to assist our injured guests and the family members of those who died in this tragic accident," said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises. "Our deepest sympathies go out to all of our guests impacted by this terrible event, as well as their family members."

The accident occurred at approximately 4:30 p.m. local time. The injured were taken to a local hospital. A doctor, nurse and other staff members from Millennium were sent to the hospital and will remain there to assist the injured, family members and local authorities.

Celebrity Cruises is flying family members of those killed and injured to Chile Thursday.

Celebrity Cruises will hold a press conference at 9 a.m. EST Thursday regarding the accident. The press conference will take place at the company's world headquarters, at 1080 Caribbean Way, Miami, Florida (at the Port of Miami).

Speakers will include Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises, and Dr. Mauricio Lynn, M.D., Medical Director of Trauma Resuscitation and Mass Casualty Intake Management at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Celebrity Cruises has established two toll-free phone lines for family members of guests sailing on this cruise. Callers in North America should dial 1-888-829-4050. Callers from outside North America should dial the following number collect 305-539-4050. These numbers are for family members only, and the company requests that the general public not use these numbers so family members of those onboard the ship may receive information in a timely manner.

Celebrity Cruises Vice President for Marine Operations John Krousouloudis is leading a special assistance team from the company that is being dispatched to the ship to help its guests and crew.

Celebrity Cruises reported the incident to the U.S. Consulate, U.S. Coast Guard, and Bahamian authorities. The company is working in close coordination those organizations and Chilean authorities to assist the injured and those onboard the ship.

The cause of the accident has not been determined, and Celebrity Cruises will be actively involved in the investigation.

Millennium departed Valparaiso, Chile, on March 19, on a 14-night sailing that is scheduled to conclude in Fort Lauderdale on April 2. Today's accident occurred on the fourth day of the cruise and the ship will remain in Arica, Chile, until further notice. The ship was carrying approximately 1,536 guests and 920 crew members.

Celebrity Cruises will provide additional information regarding this matter as it becomes available. Information will also be posted on the Celebrity Cruises Web site at http://www.celebrity.com .

MEDIA NOTE: Television satellite trucks should park behind Celebrity Cruise's 1080 Caribbean Way building. Cabling can be run into the building from this location. All other media representatives should park in guest parking in front of the 1080 Caribbean Way building -- and enter the building through its rear doors. Valid media credentials are required.

I have to take exception to this, as my husband and I, as well as many family members all work for the dreaded "Media". You're painting us with a very broad brush here. Not all news outlets have blown this out of proportion, only the tabloid ones. The legitimate ones covered the original event, and briefly covered the hearings last week.

The problem with this statement is that there aren't any "legitimate" news outlets left.

Doesn't matter if it's CNN, 60 Minutes, Inside Edition, Fox News Channel, or whatever.

All that matters to them is ratings and $$$, not fair and unbiased reporting. They will all sensationalize, spin / stretch the facts, or just flat out make stuff up in an effort to get viewers.

The problem with this statement is that there aren't any "legitimate" news outlets left.

Doesn't matter if it's CNN, 60 Minutes, Inside Edition, Fox News Channel, or whatever.

All that matters to them is ratings and $$$, not fair and unbiased reporting. They will all sensationalize, spin / stretch the facts, or just flat out make stuff up in an effort to get viewers.

I agree with this 100%. I very seldom watch the news anymore as it is all about ratings and not getting the facts. They media has brought this on themselves so let them live with it.

that resembles a grilled sandwich, is quite horrific! Then to learn last night that the driver fell asleep at the wheel & went over, and that he was not a legit tour company without a license to do the job. NEVER DO AN EXCURSION THAT IS NOT CRUISE AUTHORIZED.

The Star Princess, news originally stated it was 4 stateroom at 5:30AM News. Then by 1PM when they docked at Montego Bay the photo sent to MSNBC by their passenger employee shows 1/3 of the ship (center) charted. Balconies gone, glass gone, and we both were shocked that this was cheaply made to have this much damage from a cigarette. So maybe cruise lines with their insurance after a fire and Princess has had many from building Diamond Princess to this one that was not a few staterooms.

Everyone is talking that steel balconies melted? Or were they made to look like steel or insulations all around them was the fuel.

And yes, RCCL gives their long time cruisers excellent perks compared to what Elite get on Celebrity. Discounts galore, free booze nightly, free cappuccino, espresso, among other things in the Concierge lounge that has nothing to do with the Concierge Class stateroom that still doesn't have pillow top mattress on Summit, but RCCL will have your bed with an egg crate mattress pad on it if you ask. C/S at RCCL is very friendly, very knowledgeable, not on "X". When they screwed up my $200 onboard credit from VISA 11/20, the couldn't write a $200 check to us and 4 months to have our 20,000 points reinstated. VERY POOR! They even took over 4 months to send medical records paid for by CSA insurance to pay me for a cruise that wasn't healthy or acceptable by us, and I had a list of people who came to our stateroom to enjoy the balcony after it was cleaned, since the staff wasn't assisting. Gotta be there before 2AM's pressure washing (done only on Summit) then other bars atop 9th deck AFT are carpeted. So I call it Carnival Summit!

You've got me completely confused. You slam Celebrity because they are giving the "We are sorry" message, but RCCL/Celebrity gets applause from you. Are they being bad or good? :confused:

And what in the world does the cost of that cruise have to do with anything? Would everything be better if that cabin cost only $2,000 p/p?

She is definately my favorite with her excellent reporting with Capt Wright on the Smith case, and now she is over & over stating that RCCL has nothing to do with a Celebrity cruise. They both have their own credit cards (the VISA that we use) and this tour booked for these Jewish cruisers by their synogogue was no an authorized Celebrity cruise. This means that Celebrity checks out their work, safety record, insurance, etc before sending their customers to them. Same thing happened with Carnival in Belize killing folks in a tube ride.

No they have discovered that the driver fell asleep at the wheel careening over the mountainside, no big rig headed for him, from great witnesses whose stories all matched. Then they also have discovered that this guy was not registered to carry passengers on a tour.

Phonex, really it's the DW that many of us poke fun at, not the DDH. She and the family drag him around like a cheap suitcase trying to drum up their claims against RCCL. At somepoint they made it into a joke. Perhaps that was not what they intend to do, but never the less that is one of the results. They (perhaps as unwitting pawns of their lawyers) made it into a media circus, out of greed or remorse or both or neither. IMHO.

Humor can be offensive to someone in almost any circumstance.:D

Also, with respect to the news media...it's just business. What ever gets eyeballs and ad dollars will keep the executives happy, and the talking heads are more than willing to put their own slant on things (it's human nature and can not be prevented)...there never has been an unbiased media, and never will...go back to the media that the founding father's had to deal with. It's up to us to sort it out.

Phonex, really it's the DW that many of us poke fun at, not the DDH. She and the family drag him around like a cheap suitcase trying to drum up their claims against RCCL. At somepoint they made it into a joke. Perhaps that was not what they intend to do, but never the less that is one of the results. They (perhaps as unwitting pawns of their lawyers) made it into a media circus, out of greed or remorse or both or neither. IMHO.

Humor can be offensive to someone in almost any circumstance.:D

Also, with respect to the news media...it's just business. What ever gets eyeballs and ad dollars will keep the executives happy, and the talking heads are more than willing to put their own slant on things (it's human nature and can not be prevented)...there never has been an unbiased media, and never will...go back to the media that the founding father's had to deal with. It's up to us to sort it out.

To join in and participate in this kind of crassness is their choice, but doesn't have to be ours. Like my DH said to our DS's: you don't have to be the lowest common denominator.

Not pointing fingers; just philosophizing (sp?).

Archived