Gratitude of Cabin Stewards

Projunior

… [deleted] How this notion got torqued into a thread of "needy, overbearing passenger makes outrageous, unconscionable demands of cabin steward", was truly a wonder to behold.

That is the wonder of Cruise Critic … !

As Shakespeare said, “ The quality of mercy is not strained ... . It blesses he who gives and he who takes.”. The service givers who give good service make our trip very nice. We give extra to express our appreciation. It is all good

My simple point, sadly not as simple as I assumed, was that it might behoove cabin stewards, as a group, to encourage the general behavior and practice of tipping in any way they can, as the one steward did with his gracious three-word note. Do you think that a passenger that receives a note from him is more likely or less likely to tip a steward on the next cruise? A simple greasing of the skids for next time, as a self-serving benefit to themselves as a group. How this notion got torqued into a thread of "needy, overbearing passenger makes outrageous, unconscionable demands of cabin steward", was truly a wonder to behold.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Just WOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we hand stewards or wait staff EXTRA tips beyond the gratuities we always leave on to them in person, they always smile and say thank you...If we leave something in our cabin, we NEVER expect a handwritten note...

Bernadette

Is it wrong to just give a tip in cash in person to the stateroom attendant thanking them for their service - not in an envelope?

I just hand the stateroom attendant at the end of a cruise a $20 or so if I feel service was above and beyond.

OK, I didn't read every single post. But for what it's worth, we present a nice tip to our cabin steward at the beginning of each cruise. Usually when he/she knocks on the door to make introductions. I always tell them that we know how hard they work, and that we appreciate them. I jokingly add that the tip is not a bribe, but that the only thing we really like is ice delivered whenever they service the cabin. (Now that ice delivery is not automatic.)

They are always appreciative. We rarely ask for anything else, but I have to say, our ice bucket is always full. As for more than the initial verbal thank-you? Not necessary, since we got the face-to-face. I think that the genuinely friendly greetings we always get during the cruise, speaks volumes. Not to mention that fact that we're ridiculously neat & tidy ... I guess that'd make any steward smile!

To the OP (still here?), showing extra appreciation to a deserving steward, either before, after, or during the sailing ... I would venture a guess that their thank-you is implied. Even if you don't get that face-to-face, know that you did a good thing.