SAS Transportation

Mass2Cruise

I know I could call again later when there is an answer, but figured I could also ask here. Anyone know the earliest pickup time from POM that SAS will do to get back to FLL? Have a 11:40 flight on SW out of FLL. We plan to carry off our own bags. Thanks.

Having just used SAS from POM to FLL, I would be a bit reluctant to use them in this situation with an early flight. You might get lucky, and they pick you up 5 minutes after you call and head straight for the airport. Or, it might be like our pickup where we waited for half an hour; then circled the port twice to pick up passengers from other ships; then sat for 10 minutes waiting for another passenger. If we'd had an earlier flight than 1:00, I think I would have started getting a little antsy.

We walked off the ship around 8:30 and were at FLL by 10:00, so you'll most likely be fine if traffic cooperates, and you get off the ship earlier than we did. I do not know how early SAS starts running, but I would bet they're available as soon as the ships start releasing passengers. You have to give them a pickup time when you make your reservation (which they then confirm), so I would assume they wouldn't confirm a time before they start pickups.

For an 11:40 flight you need to be at FLL by about 10:10, and 9:45 or earlier is better given the TSA crush normal at the airport.

Figure and hour for the drive from POM to FLL (usually less), so that translates into a shuttle pick up about 8:30-8:45 - should be easy, or skip the shuttle and use Uber or Lyft (about $35+ for the car).

Good luck! :)

As a ride share, SAS is too risky. How many ships are in port that day? How many stops will the bus make before or after yours? Even if they picked you up right on time, you could spend a long time cruising the port picking up other passengers.

Having said that, several times I have had success arranging a bus with a full load of people from our roll call - the bus didn't stop anywhere else. Last time we all had flights around noon but one couple's flight got moved up to 11:30. We were picked up about 9:00 and were at FLL by 9:30.

Your best bet is a taxi or Uber.

I have used SAS many times at different flight times, from POM and FLL. I have never felt rushed or late outside of my planning. They have gotten me to and from in plenty of time. I will be using them again next month. They are very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, I got in touch with SAS. They have drivers at POM starting at 6, but said most passengers don't start coming off ships till 7am. Still enough time for a 11:40 flight I would think. Especially carrying off bags and having TSA precheck. Well hopefully.

We have used SAS many times. Always very good service. That said, I see potential issues that are out of their control. Once, there was a traffic back up on I-95. We sat for quite a long while. The driver was able to exit the interstate (using the berm) and cutting through side streets and neighborhoods. We were fine, but other passengers had earlier flights and were nervous. Another instance we arrived at FLL timely, but we encountered a HUGE backlog at TSA... and we have pre-check. For these reasons, I never book a flight earlier than 1:00 when flying out of FLL. MIA a little earlier is OK

Just like everything else sometimes you have a good experience sometimes not so good.

We used SAS twice and booked them as a "private transfer" for our extended family of 6. First time everything went well for our FLL arrival and POM drop off . Second time even though just 5 of us went on this trip we still opted to book it as "private"...going there fine no problem but the pick up (return) the driver insisted on circling around twice looking for a solo passenger...that passenger never showed...we weren't too happy as we were trying to make a flight out of FLL...yes we made it but still. :eek: When you book something a specific way that's what you should get. We opted to not use SAS again.

Using SAS in the past with good results prompted me to book them for a pick up at Fll to hotel in downtown Miami and port of Miami to Mia. Never again will we use them. First, after calling from airport we waited about fifty minutes for pick up. We were told the driver was on his way as soon as he picked up another family The return to the airport was even worse. We got in the shuttle and waited and waited for another family for 45 minutes. Then to make it worse the driver then dropped this family off at a hotel before taking us to airport. Customer service has gone downhill. I would gladly pay more to be relieved of the stress.

Using SAS in the past with good results prompted me to book them for a pick up at Fll to hotel in downtown Miami and port of Miami to Mia. Never again will we use them. First, after calling from airport we waited about fifty minutes for pick up. We were told the driver was on his way as soon as he picked up another family The return to the airport was even worse. We got in the shuttle and waited and waited for another family for 45 minutes. Then to make it worse the driver then dropped this family off at a hotel before taking us to airport. Customer service has gone downhill. I would gladly pay more to be relieved of the stress.

Welcome to the boards! :D

Are you sure it was SAS? :confused: SAS's website specifically says they do not service the MIA airport?

In the future a taxi - including taxi vans and SUVs for larger groups - are a flat rate of $27+tip from POM to MIA.