CruiseNext Program Cruise Next Deposit Certificate FAQ

pghflyer

We don’t have a lot of FAQ reference threads on this forum,and I know we keep seeing a lot of the same subjects over and over, and the search function is sometimes challenging. SO, I thought I would start an FAQ on CruiseNext certificates that I will volunteer to maintain (no promises on timing but at least once a month). Since we aren't allowed to edit old posts (that I know of), I will just copy and paste an updated version of the FAQ as a thread response once there have been enough edits to justify.

#1 What is CruiseNext?

It would be greatly appreciated if you would first read the actual NCL page on this topic.

https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

As well as the technical terms and conditions here:

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms?hide_hf=true

Finally, you can always call and ask them questions here:

Otherwise, it is basically a program whereyou make a deposit for your next cruise and in exchange, they issue some on-board credit in appreciation. A niceperk is the certificate satisfies your deposit obligation in full, so you don’thave to pay any additional deposit (unless booking a Suite/ Haven with anon-Suite/ Haven certificate).

#2 Where can I buy it?

NCL only offers the certificate on board the ship. You will fill out a form and drop it off with the CruiseNext team on board (normally in the Atrium). You will get a paper copy of your certificate in your cabin. They advertise them on the ship and in the daily papers, so you won’t miss them. These are transferable as well, so you could give or receive them via friend/ family or buy them off of eBay or from a forum member, but just buyer beware.

#3 How much can I buy?

There is a nice table on the web page in #1 above. Generally, they are sold in $250USD increments for Balcony and below or $500USD increments for Haven/ Suites. Also, you get the best on-board credit return by purchasing at least 2 certificates or more (40%on-board credit if only buying one certificate, all other denominations are 50% on-board credit). The maximum you can individually buy on a cruise is 4. **Please note that SKY has a different program called CruiseNext Lite, which works similar but at lower amounts for 3-4 day cruises**

#4 How does the on-board credit work?

You have to use it on the cruise when you purchase the CruiseNext certificate. It will be applied directly to your on-board ship balance and could be used like any other credit towards drinks,photos, excursions, specialty meals, or at the very least, towards the certificate you just bought. It is combineable with any other credit you may receive.If you don’t use it all on the cruise where you bought the certificate, like all on-board credit, it is forfeited.

#5 Do the certificates expire?

YES. Yes. Y-E-S. :) You can get a full (minus the on-board credit you received) refund in 30 days, but otherwise they expire 4 years from the first sail date of the cruise on which you booked it. When redeeming the certificate, the actual cruise you are applying it to must start within those 4 years. NCL has flexibility and has occasionally extended certificates for people, but this is not guaranteed and not how the terms and conditions prescribe in #1 above. After that date, no value is left.

#6 What cruises can I redeem the certificates for?

Basically you may redeem ONE certificate for ONE cruise that is 6-nights or longer. No requirements on booking in advance. Occasionally they run promotions that differ from this (such as the long running “Double Up” promotion allowing 2 certificates if booking a balcony or higher, 6 months or more in advance). Also, the terms indicate this must be a NEW cruise, which means they could deny using this on a reservation if you have already made a deposit. All this said, some people have had success redeeming certificates against their balance due even after making a non-certificate deposit, and a smaller number of people have had success redeeming 2 certificates even though within the 6-month departure window.

#7 How do I redeem it?

Just tell your agent your certificate number that you would like applied to your new cruise, and they will take care of the rest. If you want to transfer it to someone else, you must call NCLCruiseNext (1.866.234.7350).

#8 What if I lost the paper with my cruise certificate number?

Your certificate status and information is always available in the account of the person who purchased the certificate online. Login to My Account, take the link to My Account, and you will see your certificate ID, Amount, and Validity Dates under the “My Coupons and Credits”section.

#9 What if I cancel a cruise where I made a deposit with my certificate?

If the original certificate expiration date has not passed, it will be reissued back to your account (less any cancellation fees that apply to the cruise) and will RETAIN the original expiration date. If you got an exception to book a cruise past your expiration date, and the expiration date has now passed, then the value is forfeited.

Generally, I would like this FAQ to be how it is supposed to work and what the rules are. If a single person is able to talk NCL into an exception, I don’t necessarily think the FAQ needs to be updated unless it is a widespread utilization…………if there are other important things that need added, let me know. Please don't post requests to buy/ sell your certificates in this informational thread.

• Like 4

Item #6 on the T&Cs referenced in FAQ #1 says "One (1) CruiseNext or CruiseNext Lite Deposit ($250 each or $100 each respectively) may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Suites or The Haven by Norwegian."

Item #6 on the T&Cs referenced in FAQ #1 says "One (1) CruiseNext or CruiseNext Lite Deposit ($250 each or $100 each respectively) may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Suites or The Haven by Norwegian."

Thanks, I should have read more thoroughly (y)

<snip>.If you don’t use it all on the cruise where you bought the certificate, like all on-board credit, it is forfeited. <snip>

This part is not necessary. It is impossible not to use the credit, as it is a direct offset to the debit for the cost of the certificate(s). IE:

2 Certificates- $500

Cruise Next Credit -250

Net cost $250

No worries Takoyaki.

KarlChilders - I think we are both correct. Your situation is correct. However, if the cabin has other OBC (ex. $300 from a travel agent) which once added with the CruiseNext OBC (ex. $250), exceeds (ex. $550 OBC) the amount of the certificate purchase (ex. $500), one would end up losing some OBC (ex. $50....it doesn't really matter if it comes out of the agent or cruisenext "bucket").

No worries Takoyaki.

KarlChilders - I think we are both correct. Your situation is correct. However, if the cabin has other OBC (ex. $300 from a travel agent) which once added with the CruiseNext OBC (ex. $250), exceeds (ex. $550 OBC) the amount of the certificate purchase (ex. $500), one would end up losing some OBC (ex. $50....it doesn't really matter if it comes out of the agent or cruisenext "bucket").

Yes, that is correct although I thought most OBC from agents is the refundable kind. None the less, the credit generated by the Cruise Next purchase will be used so any other credit is going to need to be spent whether the passenger purchases CN certs or not. I was just trying to clear up the confusion that often comes up (and is in fact fostered by the CN consultants) that one needs to spend the OBC.

• Like 1

#3 How much can I buy?

There is a nice table on the web page in #1 above. Generally, they are sold in $250USD increments for Balcony and below or $500USD increments for Haven/ Suites. Also, you get the best on-board credit return by purchasing at least 2 certificates or more (40%on-board credit if only buying one certificate, all other denominations are 50% on-board credit). The maximum you can individually buy on a cruise is 4. **Please note that SKY has a different program called CruiseNext Lite, which works similar but at lower amounts for 3-4 day cruises**

So, I am a little confused. Since you get an onboard credit of 50% for any $500 deposit or more for a regular cabin, but only 25% OBC for a Haven/Suite deposit of $1000 or more, but they will allow you to use the regular cabin certificates toward a Haven deposit, why in the world would anyone buy a Haven/Suite certificate? It seems you are losing quite a bit of OBC for your money. I guess I am missing something.....:confused:

GA Dave - I have only used on balconies, but yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either at face value because you would appear to be tying your money up in a larger denominated certificate for no reason. Only thing I can think of is that the T&Cs do say a single $500 Haven/ Suite certificate can be used to fulfill a deposit requirement, so if the deposit is normally higher than $500, I guess there is some temporary benefit there.

GA Dave - I have only used on balconies, but yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either at face value because you would appear to be tying your money up in a larger denominated certificate for no reason. Only thing I can think of is that the T&Cs do say a single $500 Haven/ Suite certificate can be used to fulfill a deposit requirement, so if the deposit is normally higher than $500, I guess there is some temporary benefit there.

Okay, that helps. We are in The Haven on our upcoming cruise as we did a direct upgrade from a mini-suite after the price dropped dramatically on the Haven Penthouse post-full payment , so we simply had to pay the difference in the fare, taxes, etc. I guess I can make some test reservations and see what the "normal" Haven deposit shows.

• 2 weeks later...

ADDING

#10 Where Can I See My Certificate Number & Expiration

If you don't still have your paper copy, you can always find it online. IMPORTANT - it only appears in the account of the individual who purchased them (ex. even if my spouse was in the same cabin with me, if I am the person who bought the certificates, they will NOT appear in my spouses account - only mine). They should appear on your "landing" page right when you login but other wise are in My Account in a section called My Coupons and Credits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, I am a little confused. Since you get an onboard credit of 50% for any $500 deposit or more for a regular cabin, but only 25% OBC for a Haven/Suite deposit of $1000 or more, but they will allow you to use the regular cabin certificates toward a Haven deposit, why in the world would anyone buy a Haven/Suite certificate? It seems you are losing quite a bit of OBC for your money. I guess I am missing something.....:confused:

I'm confused as well. If I buy a $2,000 Haven certificate it costs me net $1,500, where if I buy a $1,000 balcony credit it costs me $500 net. So to gain an extra $1,000 CN credit I have to pay the full $1,000, there's no advantage.

Assuming I can apply all the credits to future Haven rooms I still pay the same amount in the end. I'll be on the GA next week and paid for Haven and hope to get to the bottom of this. I probably should go before having cocktails.

If I buy certificates and book a cruise for a year out while onboard, and I book into Haven, do I get the free upgrade within Haven for booking while onboard? I heard that doesn’t apply in Haven, but want to make sure-if it does I’m in and will be ready with my choice, otherwise will buy but wait to book. Thanks

On my last two cruises, the CruiseNext desk offered me (and I accepted) four certificates for $500, dispensing with the refund credit. They also offered me eight certificates for $1,000.

Are you sure? They should do this for everyone, therefore eliminating the confusion. It took me hours to explain "what happened" when DH's friend bought one ($250 certificate with $150 OBC that he didn't notice in his statement).....and when he went to use it he couldn't figure out "where the value was".

Are you sure? They should do this for everyone, therefore eliminating the confusion. It took me hours to explain "what happened" when DH's friend bought one ($250 certificate with $150 OBC that he didn't notice in his statement).....and when he went to use it he couldn't figure out "where the value was".

Yes, I'm sure.

Just off Jade and they clearly advertised that any certificate you bought would be a clean reduced charge (ex. $500 will net at $250) and you didn't have to worry about spending anything for onboard credit. In fact, I was surprised because I had non-refundable NCL credit (from shareholder program) that also applied against my certificates purchase.

• Like 1

Just off Jade and they clearly advertised that any certificate you bought would be a clean reduced charge (ex. $500 will net at $250) and you didn't have to worry about spending anything for onboard credit. In fact, I was surprised because I had non-refundable NCL credit (from shareholder program) that also applied against my certificates purchase.

That's what happened to me--twice--when I purchased four certificates for $500 on two different Epic cruises. By the way, they also offered me eight certificates for $1,000, contrary to the FAQ in this thread. No OBC involved.

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction FLAHAM, yes, they were selling 8 certificates on my cruise as well, so that needs to be updated (the forum doesn't provide that functionality). I wish I had the luxury of cruising so often I would be able to use that many!!!

#3 How much can I buy?

There is a nice table on the web page in #1 above. Generally, they are sold in $250USD increments for Balcony and below or $500USD increments for Haven/ Suites. Also, you get the best on-board credit return by purchasing at least 2 certificates or more (40%on-board credit if only buying one certificate, all other denominations are 50% on-board credit). The latest maximum you can individually buy on a cruise is 8. **Please note that SKY has a different program called CruiseNext Lite, which works similar but at lower amounts for 3-4 day cruises**

8 certificates for $1K? $125 each/$250 value each? That's the "clean" purchase, same diff whether they charge your account $250 and give you $125 OBC onto your account, or they charge your acct $125. It all nets out.

8 certificates for $1K? $125 each/$250 value each? That's the "clean" purchase, same diff whether they charge your account $250 and give you $125 OBC onto your account, or they charge your acct $125. It all nets out.

That's correct. You just don't bother with the OBC distraction.

They have been offering the certificates without referring to the OBC for over a year now. There have been a number of threads on this board with people reporting that NCL have changed the offer (although, as we know, it is exactly the same offer but described differently).

I’ve been on a few cruises where they have been offering both options (get 2 deposits for the price of one or buy 2 deposits and get OBC back). Again, exactly the same thing with different language.

The whole thing is still managing to confuse quite a few people. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if this is a dumb question... Is the certificate per person? So if me and my spouse are planning to book a new cruise while onboard, would we each have to buy a $250 certificate and each get the $100 onboard credit?

Sorry if this is a dumb question... Is the certificate per person? So if me and my spouse are planning to book a new cruise while onboard, would we each have to buy a $250 certificate and each get the $100 onboard credit?

They are per booking. I’m not sure of any restriction on how many can be purchased, but only one (or two if a deal is on) can be used per booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk