Norwegian Cruise Line Excursions

merle65

If you book online you are charged immediately. If you have the $50 Shorex Perk you can phone the Shorex line in Miami and "reserve" places and you will be charged through your folio on board. The $50 perk is applied AFTER you have done the shorex. Cancellation is 48 hours notice.

Hi when you book a Excursion through Norwegian do they charge your credit card right away or do they wait till you take the Excursion? What's the cancellation policies on excursions?

Unless you have a special promotion, you are charged immediately when a tour is booked (whether it is online or via phone). Popular tours will sell out before your cruise date, so it is to your benefit not to wait too long. One a New England cruise recently, 3 of our 4 top Shore Ex picks were sold out 2-months before cruise date and we went to "Plan B".

Most shore excursions can be cancelled up to 48 hours before you arrive in that port or embarkation day. There are rare exceptions like Bamboo Beach in Jamaica where they have been allow late cancellations. There are also exceptions for high demand tours where the cruise line must commit to pay for a tour in advance like flighttours (tours with floatplanes or helicopters in Alaska) where you must cancel 3 days before you embark (no cancellations onboard or close to embarkation date).

Other than our first couple of cruises we have always booked private tours as they are less expensive as a rule and more personalized. Now with the $50 credit as a perk and our plat plus discount we have started doing more NCL tours. We have been lucky, we just book as soon as we get on the ship, like we do our restaurants. So far, so good. Yes, they do hold a lot of spots back so people can book after they get on the ship.

The other thing to keep in mind about excursions booked through Norwegian, if for some reason the excursion is canceled the price of your excursion is refunded automatically to your on board account.

Right now a number of excursions in Alaska are being canceled because of the weather and ONE tour operator out of Skagway has been is operating licence pulled by the Coast Guard.

In my experience NCL is really good with allowing you to cancel an excursion outside their normal cancellation policy. Once on GSC the water was murky and it was cloudy. I was surprised but NCL let anyone cancel the snorkeling excursion if they wanted to. You just need to do so before picking up snorkel equipment. Also once traveled with someone with M.S. and was heat sensitive. It was winter but the port day was very hot. They allowed this passenger to cancel with no problems. They asked why and allowed it because it was a medical issue.

A little off topic but passing it along.

I queried whether an excursion disappearing from the My NCL pages meant that it was fully sold out and my NCL cruise consultant said not. He said they keep some back for sale on ship.

It’s been my experience also. It isn’t sold out until you’re on the ship. If it’s sold out on the My NCL page, I wouldn’t wait too long after departure though.