On the Insignia Now

st5310

We are in a Penthouse Suite, PH3. Absolutely no noise on night one and the ship was not rocky. The suite is fine, but I do miss the larger bathrooms in the Royal Caribbean Grand Suites.

Go visit any cabin in the categories A1 or below and you'll appreciate the size of your PH bathroom!! They are extremely small with ridiculously small showers. Enjoy your cruise! :D

The burgers in Terrace Cafe are cooked on a grill, not a flat griddle. Haven't been to Waves yet. For those sailing Insignia for the first time, note there is no Red Ginger or Jacques Pepin restaurants. Items from their menus are available in the Grand Dining Room, however.

Last night we dined in the Polo Grill, O's signature steakhouse. The ambience, food quality and service lived up to my expectations. We ordered two filets, one rib-eye (me), one prime rib. No glitches and all were prepared as we had requested. The steaks were as good as just about any steakhouse we've been to (e.g. Ruth's Chris, Berns, etc.) and my friend's prime rib was spectacularly delicious--cooked medium rare, lots of flavor and cut like butter. Sides were excellent as well, featuring the usual suspects--baked potato, asparagus, cream spinach, etc. For me, Polo Grill far outclasses the Chops Grille steakhouse we've been accustomed to on Royal.

The Prestige Select beverage package is working out beautifully. The card does have to be handed over to the waiter, but it’s returned posthaste and there is no signing required (tips already included). The pours have been fine and we have had no complaints about the selection available to us. Three of us are scotch drinkers and as long as Johnnie Black is on the menu we’re content.

Afternoon tea is delightful. Lots of treats from the mobile tray are offered, but for us it’s all about the clotted (or clouted) cream that comes with the scones. The tea is not fresh-brewed, but comes in packaged bags that include a wide variety, from Earl Grey to mint, to chamomile, to decaf.

I love the the serene atmosphere of this ship. Quiet, with an ambience conducive to contemplation, reading, crosswords, and conversation. No announcements. No hype. No auctions. And no screaming kids towed by flustered parents. Definitely my speed.

Thanks for all your timely reply's...

Did you happen to peruse the selection in the ship's library? Do they have a selection of maritime books? The only line that I have found those on other than maybe one or two, was Cunard....

Do they offer some type of "behind the scene's" tour that includes the bridge?

No kids? Good to hear. I think there was some concern that there might be since O was running a "3rd and 4th free in the cabin" promo on these sailings.

Have you taken photos of any menus or dailies? Did you do a Meet & Greet? If so, when? And was the muster drill at 5:15, or earlier?

Actually, there is a tiny number of kids onboard, but compared to our usual experience, that's virtually zero. They have been well behaved although I do wonder how they stay occupied on a ship that does not cater to their age group.

Did you happen to peruse the selection in the ship's library? Do they have a selection of maritime books? The only line that I have found those on other than maybe one or two, was Cunard....

The library is impressive. I did a quick walk-thru, but I'll check more closely for maritime material. At the moment, do not know about behind-the-scenes, but will look into that, too.

Go visit any cabin in the categories A1 or below and you'll appreciate the size of your PH bathroom!! They are extremely small with ridiculously small showers. Enjoy your cruise! :D

So I have been told! Can't even imagine how small they must be. Thanks!

There is one very odd issue in the PH bathroom... The shower area does not close. An immovable glass covers only half of the tub/shower; the other half is exposed with no way to prevent spray from hitting the floor. Even if one is careful about aiming the portable shower head, no way the floor doesn't get hit. Not complaining.... just very odd.

Even if one is careful about aiming the portable shower head, no way the floor doesn't get hit.
Certainly, there is. Simply aim the portable head back towards the wall, when your body is not blocking the stream of water. :D

So I have been told! Can't even imagine how small they must be. Thanks!

There is one very odd issue in the PH bathroom... The shower area does not close. An immovable glass covers only half of the tub/shower; the other half is exposed with no way to prevent spray from hitting the floor. Even if one is careful about aiming the portable shower head, no way the floor doesn't get hit. Not complaining.... just very odd.

It's been reported that part of the Insignia drydock in November will be the replacement of the PH tubs with large showers like on Sirena....I'm keeping my fingers crossed! ;)

The grill in the Terrace is a newer addition

I did not know they did burgers there we usually go to WAVES

It's generally only at lunch and the type of burger changes. It's not the same ones available at Waves.

Dan,

I don’t hesitate to have my steak medium rare but not so with burgers as they are ground beef. At very reputable establishments where I can be sure of freshness and good hygiene I would have my burger med rare but most places I think it’s safer to have it medium to medium well (not that I like it better that way but it’s safer).

What do you think?

Paul, according to the experts I have worked with they tell me 135 for ground round ( 87%) or Ground Sirloin 93%

Think of steak tartar its raw + a raw egg if that is not rolling the dice. Some sages say rare is 110F.. I add 5F

A med rare 120-125 6-8 oz ground round with a hard sear from a cast iron has a super crust and rare meat has a super rich taste that is lost bit by bit. Have it with a martini and sanitize the results !!

Lately I have abandon grill cooking in favor of a heavy duty cast iron, commercial pan from France. Super thick bottom let it heat 15 to 20 min , to cook my steaks on A lot of James Beard chefs do it that way.. Seems to really work

Discovered Filet/tenderloin works much better done in a pan as there is limited control on charcoal ( I would never use gas.. apple and fig wood) Speaking of pans and such, I saw some fancy store cook wear displays with pans going for 250+ Discovered that thats 35 for the pan and 215 for the name. Most commercial guys use Winco... they have super thick bottoms of dual metals and cost 18-30 !!! Your culinary buddy can fill you in. Having the right tool makes stuff

Certainly, there is. Simply aim the portable head back towards the wall, when your body is not blocking the stream of water. :D

The spray doesn't hit the floor when the water is simply running, whether or not pointed towards the wall. It can be minimized, but at some point the spray hits the floor.

I perused the library and did not see a collection of maritime books, Bob. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I didn't find them. Also... I was told that Insignia does not offer a behind-the-scenes tour.

It's generally only at lunch and the type of burger changes. It's not the same ones available at Waves.

Thanks Orv

I never look at the Terrace Grill station at lunch

will have to pay more attention in the future :D

No kids? Good to hear. I think there was some concern that there might be since O was running a "3rd and 4th free in the cabin" promo on these sailings.

Have you taken photos of any menus or dailies? Did you do a Meet & Greet? If so, when? And was the muster drill at 5:15, or earlier?

We will take menu pics, but won't upload until I have better internet speed back home.

Have not seen a date for meet & greet, if there is one. Will keep checking...

Muster was at 5:15. On Insignia (and probably all Oceania cruises) you are required to carry the life preserver to the drill. This may sound obvious, but that's not the case on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity (although it used to be).

I perused the library and did not see a collection of maritime books, Bob. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I didn't find them. Also... I was told that Insignia does not offer a behind-the-scenes tour.

Thanks so much for checking....I am watching you guys on the Bar Harbor web cam....nice to be the only ship anchored, eh?:)

Paul, according to the experts I have worked with they tell me 135 for ground round ( 87%) or Ground Sirloin 93%

Think of steak tartar its raw + a raw egg if that is not rolling the dice. Some sages say rare is 110F.. I add 5F

A med rare 120-125 6-8 oz ground round with a hard sear from a cast iron has a super crust and rare meat has a super rich taste that is lost bit by bit. Have it with a martini and sanitize the results !!

Lately I have abandon grill cooking in favor of a heavy duty cast iron, commercial pan from France. Super thick bottom let it heat 15 to 20 min , to cook my steaks on A lot of James Beard chefs do it that way.. Seems to really work

Discovered Filet/tenderloin works much better done in a pan as there is limited control on charcoal ( I would never use gas.. apple and fig wood) Speaking of pans and such, I saw some fancy store cook wear displays with pans going for 250+ Discovered that thats 35 for the pan and 215 for the name. Most commercial guys use Winco... they have super thick bottoms of dual metals and cost 18-30 !!! Your culinary buddy can fill you in. Having the right tool makes stuff

I'm sure that your method comes out delicious, but I love the smoky flavor of cooking over wood or charcoal...or as I've stated earlier, even an electric char-broiler....

Hawaiidan’s methodology works well on cuts such a tenderloin/ filets that have very little marble. On steaks such as ribeye , t- bones, etc with nice marbling grilling is the only way to go imo!

I now go with Snake River beef... and double R ranch ( all the same) I do prime and waygu filets that are 1.25" Same with NY all supremely well marbled

However Tenderloin on a fire is a disaster waiting.. too small. NY and spencers 1.5" are wood fire Apple, mesquite and Fig I avoid oak and hickory to acid. 2.5 min on a side then indirect 6 min rare 8 min med.