Benefit to booking direct with NCL?

I have been on exactly one other cruise- that was on the NCL Sky to Alaska not long after we were married. I am now moments away from committing to a 20 year anniversary trip on the NCL Sky in September. It feels like we were "meant to" go on this cruise- as when I started looking at options, the good ol' Sky came up. By the way- we decided on that trip if we were ever lucky enough to get pregnant (the Alaska trip was a "just relax and maybe it will happen" trip), we would name a daughter after the ship. So- we have a daughter Skye :D

I can book for the exact same price on NCL, Costco, or some other discount website. They all offer me "2 free offers." Costco also offers me $140 Costco credit. The discount site offers some unknown shipboard credit plus an unknown amount on an Amazon gift card.

Is there any reason to give up the freebies to book directly with NCL? We do have a Latitude number (we thought we might cruise more than we have in the last 20 years- ha!), if that changes anything.

Would NCL- for example- be inclined to sweeten the pot somehow if I wait to book this until someone can answer the phones tomorrow?

I appreciate any input on this and apologize if it is a question asked and answered all the time.

The thing that separates booking though NCL and a third party is that there may be a fee associated with booking through the 3rd party and the 3rd Party may have different/additional cancellation penalties.

I book through a site that gives me hotel points. Costs an add’t $24.95 fee and there is a $100 cancellation fee in addition. However I value the Hotel points (in essence I get a free night for $24.95). Same perks as if I booked directly through NCL.

From what I can tell, I doubt NCL will sweeten the deal. Unfortunately you are not dealing with a street vendor who you can haggle the price/perks with. Read the fine print if you do book through a third party though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

my biggest pet peeve with any travel agent is that they own the booking and all of the communication between you and NCL. You basically have to work around the travel agent business hours if you need to make a payment, have a question, etc,etc. I had a cruise one time where the TA had different hours on different days and was in a different timezone then me, was an annoyance.

If it just much better for me to call up NCL at a random time like right now, almost midnight to get answers to any questions that i might have or to make changes to my booking.

Edited by shof515

The other thing to watch for is when final payment is due. NCL pushed it out to 120 days sometime last year, the big box warehouse store had it at 120 before NCL did it. So they may be even further out now. The other thing and it may or may not be of interest to you, but I know the warehouse place does not participate in the upgrade advantage system, that would give you a shot at an upgrade thorough a blind bidding process.

In the UK it makes little difference but if you need to make changes anecdotal evidence is that NCL will be far more flexible if you booked with them

Also I have found UK TA prices identical to NCL in a lot of cases

No benefit booking directly with NCL, other than for NCL stockholders who appreciate your extra contribution to the company earnings. I have yet to run into a third party who charges fees but apparently a few have managed to find one. In most cases, you should get a lower price or more OBC by NOT booking directly. If you are new to shopping around (because you will get different bottom lines once everything is factored in), try the website where cruise companies compete and submit bids for your cruise (google that phrase, we aren't allowed to directly mention a company on this forum)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2661889

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2663297

Edited by pghflyer

I have been on exactly one other cruise- that was on the NCL Sky to Alaska not long after we were married. I am now moments away from committing to a 20 year anniversary trip on the NCL Sky in September. It feels like we were "meant to" go on this cruise- as when I started looking at options, the good ol' Sky came up. By the way- we decided on that trip if we were ever lucky enough to get pregnant (the Alaska trip was a "just relax and maybe it will happen" trip), we would name a daughter after the ship. So- we have a daughter Skye :D

I can book for the exact same price on NCL, Costco, or some other discount website. They all offer me "2 free offers." Costco also offers me $140 Costco credit. The discount site offers some unknown shipboard credit plus an unknown amount on an Amazon gift card.

Is there any reason to give up the freebies to book directly with NCL? We do have a Latitude number (we thought we might cruise more than we have in the last 20 years- ha!), if that changes anything.

Would NCL- for example- be inclined to sweeten the pot somehow if I wait to book this until someone can answer the phones tomorrow?

I appreciate any input on this and apologize if it is a question asked and answered all the time.

there really, in my opinion no reason to book directly. Go with where you are getting the best deal and as fo NCL sweetening the pot, not likely. You get the perks they are offering, nothing more, nothing less.

Congrats and what a neat idea naming your child after a special time in your life. Has she often asked you where you got her name?

Have a great cruise

The other thing to watch for is when final payment is due. NCL pushed it out to 120 days sometime last year, the big box warehouse store had it at 120 before NCL did it. So they may be even further out now. The other thing and it may or may not be of interest to you, but I know the warehouse place does not participate in the upgrade advantage system, that would give you a shot at an upgrade thorough a blind bidding process.

No they are not further out: what some TAs did and still do is remind people their payment is due about a week before it really is just to make certain it does get in on time If the cruise lines have a 120 day requirement the TA isn't going to cancel if you decide to pay exactly 120 days in advance. I can't imagine where you are getting that information. It makes no difference whether it is a big box store, an on line agent or an independent agent

Nope, none. Book with the TA that gives you the most extra goodies. Booking directly with NCL is the worst option.

(y)(y)(y)

Absolutely no reason to book directly with NCL. Out of nine NCL cruises I booked one direct with them and ended up kicking myself afterward. I've used a few TA's in the past, I usually price it out with 2-3 companies and go with the one that has the best deal.

Thank you for all the responses. I used a certain website that offered me bids from travel agencies. I only got one offer- but it was better than what I had come up with on my own.

I called NCL direct and they verified that indeed- they do not offer anything "extra" for booking directly through them.

By booking with an OTA, I additionally got $175 unrestricted on board credit, which I am planning on using for gratuities.

Thanks for all the help!

By booking with an OTA, I additionally got $175 unrestricted on board credit, which I am planning on using for gratuities.

be very careful with that plan. Make sure you find out what type of on board credit that is. Most promotional and TA on board credit is considered non refundable which can not be used for gratuities. Have your TA give you a detail breakdown of refundable and non refundable on board credits

refundable on board credits can be used for gratuities

Good point on the different kind of on board credit....although I will say in my experience that all my TA credit has always worked for gratuities, but no credit from NCL (promo, shareholder credit, etc) has ever applied to gratuities for me and did have to be used (non-refundable).

Congratulations! Our first cruise ever was in September of 2000 on the Sky for our 5th anniversary. We've been doing anniversary cruises every few years or so ever since. Started with an inside room, now doing penthouses. Highly tempted by a Deluxe Owner's suite but I'm afraid of liking it too much!

I had verified with the person I spoke to that the TA credit is unrestricted. The various other NCL credits that I have are restricted. When I get the receipt, I will verify.

Shelbelle- our first cruise was an aft balcony cabin and my husband will never sail in any other cabin. He loves the hum of the engine.

I had verified with the person I spoke to that the TA credit is unrestricted. The various other NCL credits that I have are restricted. When I get the receipt, I will verify.

Shelbelle- our first cruise was an aft balcony cabin and my husband will never sail in any other cabin. He loves the hum of the engine.

I agree, aft penthhouse is what we always choose now. I love it.

went with TA instead of NCL. The TA had NCL online while she set up my trip. If I had a question the cruise agent was there with my TA. My TA also gave me another perk to chose from besides my Unlimited drinks and 3 Speciality dinning. She gave me the option to double my dining to 6 meals, 250 internet or $50 excursion. She also got us $250 on board credit. The price was less than NCL.

my biggest pet peeve with any travel agent is that they own the booking and all of the communication between you and NCL. You basically have to work around the travel agent business hours if you need to make a payment, have a question, etc,etc. I had a cruise one time where the TA had different hours on different days and was in a different timezone then me, was an annoyance.

If it just much better for me to call up NCL at a random time like right now, almost midnight to get answers to any questions that i might have or to make changes to my booking.

We were on a cruise a few years ago with Celebrity were we dined with the same 6 other persons every night. Everyone was in a balcony cabin. We compared notes on what we paid for our cruise. Two couples used a TA and us and one other couple booked direct with Celebrity. We paid the lowest for our cabin (we had the most expensive balcony category except the aft-balcony and none of the others had an aft balcony). The other couple that didn't use a TA paid the most, the two that used a TA were in the middle.

I keep up with the pricing changes so that I can call in to Celebrity or NCL and get the lower prices (prior to final payment). For that cruise, there were three price cuts that the other three couples missed. I realize that I am missing on a modest benefit from a TA, but I know that I am in control of my reservation, and can cancel without penalty before final payment. I have read of others on cc boards that used a TA and could not get in touch with the TA in time to benefit from the price drops.

Just a note about the costco booking. I was going to book through them because of the costco cash card but the "2 free offers" were already picked for you and you couldn't change them. I believe the beverage package and specialty dining. This doesn't work for me because I don't drink alcohol or drink soda so it would have been a waste. The price directly was the same plus I got to pick which "2 free offers" and got on board credit