Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Happy Birthday Mick!!  Is age 80 being old?  Or, just "Middle Aged" like us?  

From the French AFP newswire this morning, they had this headline: Greatest rock'n'roll showman Mick Jagger turns 80" with this sub-headline:  "Mick Jagger once sang 'what a drag it is getting old' but the most senior swinger in town shows little sign of slowing down as he turns 80 on Wednesday.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:The Rolling Stones frontman is still strutting and gyrating in front of packed-out arenas, most recently touring Europe to mark the band's 60th anniversary.   The icon of 60s counterculture underwent a heart valve replacement in 2019, but his regime of running, kick-boxing, cycling and yoga has maintained his svelte figure and longevity as an energetic showman.

Any here at the Cooler have experienced Mick and the Stones doing an in-person, live concert?  We have done three concerts with the Rolling Stones.  Below are some of my picture files illustrating that they put on "one hell of a show".  Even at his advanced age then, he moved all around a big, big stage set-up in this football stadium that could seat up to 100,000.  Great tunes and excellent showmanship. Right? 

Full story at:

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230724-greatest-rock-n-roll-showman-mick-jagger-turns-80

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 256,700 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1362155-solstice-livefirst-timer-reportspix’s-italycroatian-june-7-19/

From the summer of 2015 in Columbus at the giant football Ohio Stadium, Mick and the Rolling Stones put on a spectacular show for the massive crowd.  All of the great hits, including "Satisfaction", etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.238bb455bf16c6a153cfdf051c340673.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.20d5f44acecc547fd48e7d3bd416dd73.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a30b900f61b3cd431c363a8fbd4e1649.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

From the French AFP newswire this morning, they had this headline: Greatest rock'n'roll showman Mick Jagger turns 80" with this sub-headline:  "Mick Jagger once sang 'what a drag it is getting old' but the most senior swinger in town shows little sign of slowing down as he turns 80 on Wednesday.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:The Rolling Stones frontman is still strutting and gyrating in front of packed-out arenas, most recently touring Europe to mark the band's 60th anniversary.   The icon of 60s counterculture underwent a heart valve replacement in 2019, but his regime of running, kick-boxing, cycling and yoga has maintained his svelte figure and longevity as an energetic showman.

Any here at the Cooler have experienced Mick and the Stones doing an in-person, live concert?  We have done three concerts with the Rolling Stones.  Below are some of my picture files illustrating that they put on "one hell of a show".  Even at his advanced age then, he moved all around a big, big stage set-up in this football stadium that could seat up to 100,000.  Great tunes and excellent showmanship. Right? 

Full story at:

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230724-greatest-rock-n-roll-showman-mick-jagger-turns-80

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 256,700 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1362155-solstice-livefirst-timer-reportspix’s-italycroatian-june-7-19/

From the summer of 2015 in Columbus at the giant football Ohio Stadium, Mick and the Rolling Stones put on a spectacular show for the massive crowd.  All of the great hits, including "Satisfaction", etc.:

yes, in Rio deJaneiro, at Copacabana beach several years ago (2006).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Full story at:

Yes! 5 times enjoying them live in Switzerland and Charlie Watts, who was my favourite Stone, once with 2 Boogie Woogie pianists in Kaufleuten club Zurich. Best drummer ever and Mick in a league of his own. So happy birthday Sir Mick!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Full story at:

Great pictures!!! 
Have seen them perform in concert twice, but it’s been many years.  When they announced their tour last year, they were scheduled in Milan a few days before my cruise departing Venice and I was very tempted to rearrange flights and attend. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Great pictures!!!   Have seen them perform in concert twice, but it’s been many years.  When they announced their tour last year, they were scheduled in Milan a few days before my cruise departing Venice and I was very tempted to rearrange flights and attend. 

Excellent that there are so many fans for Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones.  Glad that Dolcevita Diva, Grand Duchess and Lirio have all enjoyed live, in-person concerts with this amazing music/entertainment group.  Still time to catch them in the future?

Below is some BONUS coverage as to how their stage set-ups are not exactly small and subtle. 

Here is Mick super BIG on the large screen, twice, plus two other visuals from this summer of 2015 Ohio Stadium concert.  Plus, the four of them finishing at the end of the show.:

image.thumb.jpeg.883b9c7c8d1de52d5f4d95cb1b3ce90a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f35cde06bd58b2408ad57d94ce58229.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7ccf2f7acc6cc292a15ffc20b4be164.jpeg

• Like 3

Regarding seeing Rolling Stones in concert, my first time was Long Beach, California in May 1965.  Next was Pittsburgh, PA summer 1966.  My family (ma, pa, four boys) was on cross country car trip, my older brothers heard Stones were playing, some how convinced ma & pa to divert to Pittsburgh, give us money and drop us off to see concert.  I was 14.  Either they were trusting (not really) or my older brothers were very persuasive (definitely!).  Last time was 1981 in Seattle King Dome.  All concerts were really good, obviously sound was better at last one.  I also had the pleasure of seeing the mop top four (Beatles) at Hollywood Bowl, in California, in August 1964.  Again, older brothers managed to get the folks to let little me go with a couple of them, and a high school friend of older brother who had a VW bug.  Our seats were pretty good (it is a small venue), but other than the first chord or two, hearing was nothing but girls screaming from then on.  Sound systems were super primitive then, just one Vox amp for each guitar, no mikes on drums, and a little PA stack on either side, like you'd see in a high school gym.  But it was fun, and I'm glad to be able to say I saw both bands.  More recently I had the pleasure of seeing the Zombies, in 2018 in Portland, Oregon, who still tour with two original members (keyboard/composer and distinctive vocalist).  One of my all time favorite bands, and great musicians.  Of course, for just stellar musicianship, hard to beat seeing Herb Alpert with his awesome band, and lovely wife Lani Hall, who is a fabulous vocal stylist; they seem to be still touring - we last saw in 2019 in Eugene, Oregon.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Regarding seeing Rolling Stones in concert, my first time was Long Beach, California in May 1965.  Next was Pittsburgh, PA summer 1966.  My family (ma, pa, four boys) was on cross country car trip, my older brothers heard Stones were playing, some how convinced ma & pa to divert to Pittsburgh, give us money and drop us off to see concert.  I was 14.  Either they were trusting (not really) or my older brothers were very persuasive (definitely!).  Last time was 1981 in Seattle King Dome. 

Great above sharing of Rolling Stones past experiences and memories.  For Mick and others who age, is below what will happen in the future to become Hip-Op artists?

image.thumb.png.e73e7ff445355c548badf87a0a599188.png

• Haha 2

As a fellow geezer, I have to give props to Mick Jagger, not to mention Keith Richards, for surviving being in the rock and roll biz, and still being alive.  I know Mick has looked out for his physical health since they began; I remember reading he would go running (jogging as was called then) before jogging was a thing.  Mick with a pot belly would not get the job done.  Good for him!  Keef, of course, just did so much heroin and such that he was a skinny rail - kind of goes with the territory.  Between the Beatles and the Stones, my considered opinion is that the Beatles were and are the greatest pop band of all time, and the Stones were/are the greatest Rock band of all time.  Beatles ultimately paid homage to the great songbook of both US but also UK, and were incredibly talented, and helped along by others they worked with, like George Martin (5th Beatle).  Arguably, Beatles made significant additions to that songbook.  The Stones drew heavily on American black musical traditions, so had a legit claim to a blues basis, but also crafted their own image that was somewhere opposite where the Beatles were.  Kind of like a two star system where the stars are rotating about their shared center of gravity.  The Beatles were fun/cuddly at first, the Stones were dangerous.  Note Brian's death.  There were and are a huge number of talented bands that have been  in the biz in last 50 - 60 years, but these two have to be acknowledged as the two major elements.  The longevity of the Rolling Stones is nothing short of amazing.  

• Like 3

On 7/26/2023 at 7:17 AM, TLCOhio said:

Full story at:

image.jpeg.143bc06f31759f0333dca70f1e82d301.jpegKeith and his daughters. One day he’ll inherit everything 

• Haha 5

No funnies today as I went to church. Don't worry I was giving my support to this fellow.

IMG_4192.JPG.b86e2800bf72d3d0e7a827dcaa9ba399.JPG

IMG_4194.thumb.JPG.af3b05396636710c45b3b37ceec7e7d4.JPG

He came giving thanks to a local company who produce parts for the Bushmaster armoured cars which Australia has supplied to Ukraine. But also to thank this Silversea dressed fellow.

IMG_4197.thumb.JPG.c447f9416c36afd5c919c1e959ef0888.JPG

He runs Sunshine and Sons Distillery here. He produced an Ukraine gin earlier this year and I bought a bottle. he donated all proceeds to support Ukrainian orphans. The amount was $A450000.

The Ambassador though left at 4pm to catch a plane to Sydney to catch a flight to Ukraine tonight.

.picasa.ini

• Like 7