Jaime’s at Blue Reef vs Maya Chan

JenTX4NYC

IMO, 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. A little more privacy at Maya Chan as it is south of the main malecon. Jaimes' is on the malecon but not in the most crowded area. Both places will take great care of you. Both have wonderful reputations. Maya Chan is a separate taxi ride, but I believe they arrange pickup of will tell you exactly what to say to taxi driver. You can reach Jaimes via the tram in port.

Alas, both (as all clubs in Costa Maya area) have seagrass issues and no end in sight. They will rake but the stuff keeps coming in on the currents

Haven't been to Jaime's but just went to Maya Chan last week. Seaweed was not bad at all. I think it depends on the weather, wind, tides, etc. as to when you go. Maya chan was gorgeous. Very private, very quiet, no problem getting there. They don't have a pool, don't know if Jaime's does, if that matters to you.

• 4 years later...

I have been to both and they are fantastic. I will give the edge to Jaime's Blue Reef because it is much closer to the port and the amenities, and I really liked the staff at Blue Reef. The food is brought to your palapa on the beach which is in contrast to Maya Chan which is buffet style.

In terms of the amenities, I did an impulse scuba dive with Pepe's Dive Shop which is attached to the hotel. There are also several other dive shops and other businesses nearby. I am sure that one day, I will re-visit Maya Chan, but I am already planning to return to Blue Reef soon.

We were at Jaime's in April and to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the place. We are visiting Costa Maya again next spring and I've already booked Maya Chan to try it out instead. 

I think Jaime's does a great job for what it is - beach access along the Malecon. It was crowded when we were there. It may have been more enjoyable if there had been fewer people, at a less busy time of year.

Pros: the food and drink were delicious, the staff was amazingly friendly, there is a rooftop pool (small) with amazing views, the swings by the bar are fun, there are some beach toys (paddleboard, kayak), you have access to snorkeling boats if you want to go out, and it wasn't too far from the port.

Cons: service was agonizingly slow for us, it felt very cramped with the number of people and how close together everything is along that strip, the seating/shade was not all equal, it was difficult to enjoy the water - again, because there is not a lot of space in the allotted water square in front of the club, we were constantly asked if we wanted to buy things (not harassed, just asked and people moved on when we said no, but constant all day). In the hours we were there, I think we each ended up with 2-3 drinks and one plate of food, and we had to go to the bar for the second round of drinks. I was disappointed that we weren't able to enjoy more food & beverage for our $50pp. The people next to us joked that that was how to make a profit on a AI - to just not serve anyone anything. Plus you end up paying for taxis each way. For my family of 4, that added $16 each way to the price, even though it was not that far.

At Maya Chan, each party gets a bed and hammock and their own palapa. (at Jaime's we were in a row of 4 with another couple, and then our teens were put two rows ahead of us.) I'm looking forward to the buffet because I won't have to wait to be served. Looks like quite a few more "toys" at Maya Chan and space to be able to use them. My son was trying to paddleboard at Jaime's and could move one or two strokes, then had to stop and change direction to not bump someone or run into the rope. Transportation is included both ways, so the price ends up being the same for both places. I'll reserve final judgement until I've been to Maya Chan but it just seems like you get more for your money out there. 

• 1 month later...

This disappoints me 😞  We had planned to go to Maya Chan but according to their website they are closed 6/1-8/31.  We were looking at Jaime's as an alternative.  It sounded great because everyone said they limited it to about 35 people.  This sounds like that is not the case and doesn't sound fun at all.

2 hours ago, scoobysnacks70 said:

This disappoints me 😞  We had planned to go to Maya Chan but according to their website they are closed 6/1-8/31.  We were looking at Jaime's as an alternative.  It sounded great because everyone said they limited it to about 35 people.  This sounds like that is not the case and doesn't sound fun at all.

I have never been to Jaimie’s so cannot comment on whether they police numbers or not BUT most of the clubs along the malecon, especially in the middle, are right next door to each other making it feel crowded, if there are a lot of large ships in. That is one reason we used to prefer Malecon21 and clubs at either end. I don’t know if it is my imagination, but the depth of beach area “feels” much less to me than I remember from  years ago. That may be an illusion because there are certainly a lot more clubs now. Others that have been going for years, including pre-hurricane and Cats Meow may comment!

If you have a long port day, which we haven’t had recently, there are several alternatives out of town. This will take you away from the crowds and persistent vendors but if it is sargassum season they may/may not have the manpower to clear and won’t have the benefit of off shore baffles like places along the malecon. That doesn’t mean it will necessarily be clear along the malecon but it can only help. Always a concern and especially in summer months.

Edited by c-leg5

I found two pics that sort of show how it can feel cramped (not my pics). The one looking out into the water felt more representative of my day there - you can see how little open sand exists between the seats and the water. I think maybe we also had some low tide during our visit, if that is a thing, because we saw more sandbars out in the water and felt like we couldn't just go "out" and enjoy the water easily. The people kayaking were taking them out a water channel to our right as we were looking at the water. 

The picture that is looking in towards the building just shows the maximum space for the club. To our right and to our left were other places with their own chairs and their own stuff - so we couldn't spread out to the sides. 

jaime-s-at-the-blue-reef.jpg

jaime-s-blue-reef-beach.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 1:48 PM, pirate4me2 said:

I have been to both, and I can say hands down that any time we return to Costa Maya we will book Maya Chan hands down. It was AMAZING. The service was top notch, and food and drinks were delicious. 

I agree, 100%.  We loved the food, the drinks, the hospitality - I couldn't find much not to like.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CATGUY7 said:

I agree, 100%.  We loved the food, the drinks, the hospitality - I couldn't find much not to like.  

Yes! I get it now, I had heard so many rave reviews and I was like "is this place REALLY that great?" Yeah....it was. I'm hooked. 

• Like 2

Damn I wish I would have read this sooner.

we went to Maya Chan ON thanksgiving day (cruised that week) and while it was a nice property with great staff..the DOWNSIDE was, they basically got angry at us for not wanting continuous booze (the waitresses FINALLY stopped coming around after the fifth time of asking, and said “what!?!? You don’t drink??” (No! Not when I know it’s rotgut you’re serving)

AND..if you intend on being their HOURS; you better stock up on the ONE Buffet they give you (tacos and a few other things; but it’s only put out for about 30 minutes) basically, the wife and I left shortly after eating, because we realized their wouldn’t be any other food AT ALL served. (We’re fat people, what can I say?)

We booked Jaime’s on the review of Jay & Dee; in the fact that you could keep ordering/trying different food…but if they never BRING the food then that presents a problem too.

If you’re looking for a place to lay under a  pulapa and relax while drinking rotgut booze, Maya Chan is 1000% the place for you (they’ll even paddle out to you while you’re floating in the ocean to give you more rotgut liquor)

If you’re comparing it to another AI in Cozumel like Sanchos/Nachi/Paradise…it’s not even close.

Wait staff at Jaime's will ask you if you wish to have another drink.  They are not intrusive, though. And will take the time to chat with you.  You're family after the first 5 minutes. After the first margarita, DW shifts to mocktails or water.  As far as food, there's a limited menu, but yes you can order as much as you want and anytime you want.  Ceviche is excellent!!

1 hour ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Damn I wish I would have read this sooner.

we went to Maya Chan ON thanksgiving day (cruised that week) and while it was a nice property with great staff..the DOWNSIDE was, they basically got angry at us for not wanting continuous booze (the waitresses FINALLY stopped coming around after the fifth time of asking, and said “what!?!? You don’t drink??” (No! Not when I know it’s rotgut you’re serving)

AND..if you intend on being their HOURS; you better stock up on the ONE Buffet they give you (tacos and a few other things; but it’s only put out for about 30 minutes) basically, the wife and I left shortly after eating, because we realized their wouldn’t be any other food AT ALL served. (We’re fat people, what can I say?)

We booked Jaime’s on the review of Jay & Dee; in the fact that you could keep ordering/trying different food…but if they never BRING the food then that presents a problem too.

If you’re looking for a place to lay under a  pulapa and relax while drinking rotgut booze, Maya Chan is 1000% the place for you (they’ll even paddle out to you while you’re floating in the ocean to give you more rotgut liquor)

If you’re comparing it to another AI in Cozumel like Sanchos/Nachi/Paradise…it’s not even close.

We have enjoyed Maya Chan several times but unlike many on these boards we never return exclusively to the same place time after time in any port. Factors change depending on port times, season, what we have done in other ports and AI is not generally a top priority for us.

I am sorry Maya Chan didn’t work out for you and it is good there are other options. Maya Chan is certainly more relaxing and less hassle than any where along the malecon, which in itself has lots of different options to suit all budgets.

However, I don’t understand your problem with the alcohol, or feeling pressured to drink alcohol.  I have never had a problem ordering water at Maya Chan and it is indeed wise to keep hydrated in the heat. They pride themselves in attentive service and I find it strange they would become “angry” - possibly an attempt at humor in a second language?

You are correct that there is only a buffet served, other than chips and salsa. It is more an “all-you-can-eat buffet” than “all-inclusive” food. You do have to wait for the food to be available (sometimes it is staggered when multiple ships are in port) but we have never felt hungry after eating. The buffet is only available for a limited time but has always felt like much longer than 30 minutes. We tend to eat after the initial rush because people always seem to feel the need to line up in anticipation. As Maya Chan has expanded over the  years the dining area is one area that hasn’t kept up. Seats are limited and occupied quickly. We accept the fact and generally carry our plate back to our palapa. I admit we don’t find the need to continually “graze” so can understand this being a problem if that was what you are expecting. I am sorry you didn’t realize this from multiple reviews over the years and the description from their website. I am hoping this won’t be a problem for @jbrinkm and they will be prepared.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, jbrinkm said:

I'm looking forward to the buffet because I won't have to wait to be served.

i can’t comment on service or facilities at  Jaimie’s as it is one location we haven’t tried and I have no idea who Jay and Dee are. We have always thought the pricing at Jaimie’s seemed expensive and casual observations from the road have not tempted us to try that particular club BUT  there are multiple locations available along the malecon. Unfortunately AI or high cover charge seems to have become the norm in Mahahual and for us their facilities don’t generally warrant the high prices.

It sometimes comes down to trial and error which has the right vibe for you and trying to prepare yourself by reading a lot of reviews. We used to have our favorites but unfortunately Costa Maya and Mahahual have seen a lot of changes since cruising resumed and it is not currently one of our favorite ports

I'm fine! Thanks for looking out @c-leg5!

I'm looking forward to actually being able to get food, which we had trouble with at Jaime's (took about an hour and a half after we ordered to get 1 plate, then they never asked us again). A little chips & guac/salsa, then as much lunch as we want, even in a limited time frame, works well for my family. We have unlimited food on the ship, we'll eat breakfast before heading out, and we have early dining, so I don't think we'd want to be snacking all afternoon anyway. We'll just take what we want when they put it out and perhaps keep a little extra at our palapa, we'll be back on the ship by 4:00pm for our 5pm dinner. I'm looking forward to the activities and ocean and relaxation and the booze a bit too, since that is probably the only time during the cruise that I'll drink. I couldn't enjoy any of the activities or ocean or relaxation at Jaime's because it was so squished.

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm fine! Thanks for looking out @c-leg5!

I'm looking forward to actually being able to get food, which we had trouble with at Jaime's (took about an hour and a half after we ordered to get 1 plate, then they never asked us again). A little chips & guac/salsa, then as much lunch as we want, even in a limited time frame, works well for my family. We have unlimited food on the ship, we'll eat breakfast before heading out, and we have early dining, so I don't think we'd want to be snacking all afternoon anyway. We'll just take what we want when they put it out and perhaps keep a little extra at our palapa, we'll be back on the ship by 4:00pm for our 5pm dinner. I'm looking forward to the activities and ocean and relaxation and the booze a bit too, since that is probably the only time during the cruise that I'll drink. I couldn't enjoy any of the activities or ocean or relaxation at Jaime's because it was so squished.

+1

Sounds like the right attitude!

We have always had a good time, our only issue has been due to short/ late port stops on recent sailings - not Maya Chan’s fault but it has caused transport/timing problems and we will only do it when we arrive earlier in future. 

Enjoy your day.

Edited by c-leg5

19 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

+1

Sounds like the right attitude!

We have always had a good time, our only issue has been due to short/ late port stops on recent sailings - not Maya Chan’s fault but it has caused transport/timing problems and we will only do it when we arrive earlier in future. 

Enjoy your day.

Maya Chan sounds like a great place.   We have booked AI at the El Fuerte Resort,  anybody been there lately?  Jaimes was totally booked.

10 minutes ago, Dreamcruiser185 said:

Maya Chan sounds like a great place.   We have booked AI at the El Fuerte Resort,  anybody been there lately?  Jaimes was totally booked.

El Fuerte had some good reviews recently. Sorry I haven’t been to that one but have it on my “to-do” list and would love to hear how it goes!