Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

Yes DCC!  Horribly BAD!  I'm catching a break right now.  We were in Mahe, Seychelles yesterday.  This is a gorgeous place!  We did a 7.5 hour tour called On The Spice Route.  Very good tour!  Some pics.....

From the Botanical Gardens.....

DSC06976.JPG.c2dfb2695d2f5f085a7e15c66f9366f9.JPG

DSC07000.JPG.464d92f8c307323b6bec70e06f68ca0d.JPG

Beautiful vista.....

DSC07056.JPG.207d8d5d2bc14324727f0ad8bc99d0a2.JPG

Beautiful water.....

DSC07075.JPG.546bb5f4a875cd8deaffe9b3cb8a028e.JPG

• Like 5

Beautiful, mysty! What do you have planned for Dar es Salaam? I don't remember seeing much touristy stuff there, from our brief transit there, on the way home from Zanzibar. You'll have to let me know what we missed. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Thanks JP!  According to the destination lecturer Jon Fleming there is really not much to see.  He also cautioned that this place is not very safe for a wander.  We might just take the shuttle bus into town to the Hyatt Regency (shuttle drop off) and have a drink there.  We are not the most adventurous of travelers.

3 hours ago, mysty said:

Thanks JP!  According to the destination lecturer Jon Fleming there is really not much to see.  He also cautioned that this place is not very safe for a wander.  We might just take the shuttle bus into town to the Hyatt Regency (shuttle drop off) and have a drink there.  We are not the most adventurous of travelers.

We plan to do the same today though I may have to restrain T2 from lurching off with camera. I want the only decision to be whether it is a vodka tonic or gin tonic.  🙂

• Like 2

Guess we didn't miss much, then. We had a day room at a hotel in the city, after we got back from Zanzibar in the early afternoon. Our international flight wasn't leaving until 11PM so we basically had dinner at the hotel restaurant. Pleasant balcony with a view of the harbor. But the city itself didn't seem so inviting. Just looked at a map and the Hyatt Regency (AKA Kilimanjaro Hotel) is just a few blocks from the place we were at. Have a pleasant visit!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Thanks 1

We were on Regent Navigator in December 2015 and were on "Glimpse of Dar es Salaam" which turned into a 5 hour tour. My husband said it was more like a long stare!

We visited a model village in between 3 market shopping opportunities and were very happy to get back to the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The internet continues to be persnickety.  I have attempted numerous times to upload a small photo of our greeting this morning in Dar Es Salaam with (obviously) no success.  SS is aware of passenger frustration.  Erick Hernandez, IT Director for Silversea will be in the Internet Cafe tomorrow from 9:00 am until noon regarding internet performance.  He will also host a Q & A regarding the rest of the 2019 World Cruise and what to expect for the 2020 World Cruise.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:43 AM, mysty said:

The internet continues to be persnickety. ...  SS is aware of passenger frustration.  Erick Hernandez, IT Director for Silversea will be in the Internet Cafe tomorrow from 9:00 am until noon regarding internet performance....

Would welcome any report you can provide regarding the update on internet performance and Silversea response.   Thanks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Observer said:

Would welcome any report you can provide regarding the update on internet performance and Silversea response.   Thanks.

I did not speak to Mr. Hernandez.  Word on the street is that access should improve as we head south to more populous areas with more satellite coverage and they are working on a better set up for the 2020 World Cruise.

DSC07119.JPG

DSC07119.JPG

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mysty said:

I did not speak to Mr. Hernandez.  Word on the street is that access should improve as we head south to more populous areas with more satellite coverage and they are working on a better set up for the 2020 World Cruise.

DSC07119.JPG

The photo above is the beautiful sunrise as we head to Zanzibar.  Internet is a little better at 6:00 am, however it is a little quirky!

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Observer said:

A bit more of an update.  Mr. Hernandez met interested people in the Internet Lounge yesterday morning and will again this morning. Unfortunately we were on tour yesterday and will be again this morning in Zanzibar. There is meant to be a Q&A in the next day or two hopefully in a bigger venue. I am told by someone who was there that the meeting was polite but spirited.  There were no solid proposals put forward as to how Silversea can improve the situation which apparently confronts all cruise lines. We have just docked in Zanzibar and the connection seems a bit better this morning.

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From Zanzibar.....

Beautiful door.....

DSC07126.JPG.15fc7503873672114f9e54a2c3ed006b.JPG

Arab Fort.....

DSC07133.JPG.ac6c81f304e4abcf14caec6c6adc75af.JPG

View from the veranda.....

DSC07159.JPG.338dfd4b66fa61308eec0931e0db65dc.JPG

This is amazing!  The internet has gone from almost non-existent to WOW!  🙂

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Some pictures from our overland to Amboseli & Kilimanjaro.imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

Beautiful photos DCC!  Thanks for posting them!  Hope you had a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

A bit more of an update.  Mr. Hernandez met interested people in the Internet Lounge yesterday morning and will again this morning. Unfortunately we were on tour yesterday and will be again this morning in Zanzibar. There is meant to be a Q&A in the next day or two hopefully in a bigger venue. I am told by someone who was there that the meeting was polite but spirited.  There were no solid proposals put forward as to how Silversea can improve the situation which apparently confronts all cruise lines. We have just docked in Zanzibar and the connection seems a bit better this morning.

Thanks very much for the follow-up.  It was good to see in subsequent posts that internet service vastly improved.  I am no techie, but as a layperson I wonder whether the quality of shipboard internet service depends in part on the amount of money the  cruise line is willing to throw at the service.  I understand that there must be limits.  Satellite service won't be as quick as cable-provided service.  But (as with cellphone contracts) can one get better service if one pays more (e.g., by working with pricier but better providers)?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

As lifesgreat alludes to, the internet connection is working acceptably this morning as it was late last night.  This is passing through the same geographical location that we were three days ago before we got to Dar Es Salaam when it was so abysmal. And the Silversea IT guru is on board now. Hmmmm. Has he twiddled some knobs or is the satellite suddenly alive?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

As lifesgreat alludes to, the internet connection is working acceptably this morning as it was late last night.  This is passing through the same geographical location that we were three days ago before we got to Dar Es Salaam when it was so abysmal. And the Silversea IT guru is on board now. Hmmmm. Has he twiddled some knobs or is the satellite suddenly alive?

Interesting speculation Turtle!  The same "wondering" occurred to many of us.  

I'll take advantage of the access and post a few more shots from Zanzibar yesterday.  The shuttle bus from the ship dropped us off in front of Serena Inn.  This is a gorgeous old hotel.  Some photos from there.....

Fountain in the Lobby.....

DSC07147.JPG.b4f73be066762fc2c880d70b27c46fde.JPG

Lobby.....

DSC07152.JPG.20782e9d5d7ab9bc883706d20951185a.JPG

DSC07149.JPG.85ef89b81019d45ee2287a0b0643eb38.JPG

Patio.....

DSC07151.JPG.f4e60bd0cf155a5c7b3bdf799da1ed29.JPG

Tomorrow we will be anchored off of Mayotte.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are ahead of me Mysty. I'm still in Dar Es Salaam!  Here ae a few pics from our second day there. These are from a couple of the street markets, the National Museum and the village museum. The tree is, I'm told, a ficus religiosa in the National Museum grounds. Very large and impressive.

DAR2.JPG

DAR3.JPG

DAR5.JPG

DAR6.JPG

DAR7.JPG

DAR8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1