Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Good stuff! Any other stops in Madagascar? There is so much to see...I want to go back! 

No other ports in Madagascar.  We're now heading to Maputo.  🙂  Madagascar was steamy!!!!

Hi Mysty, as usual the photos are fantastic:classic_biggrin: 

I fly up to New York City today and sailing tomorrow to Bermuda and Charleston for 11 nights on Azamara.  

One day I hope to follow in your shoes and go on a World cruise too.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

Today we were docked in Maputo, Mozambique.  Myster and I did a walk about.  Here are a few photos from our traipse.....

The Maputo Railway Station designed by Monsieur Gustave Eiffel (of Eiffel Tower fame).....

DSC07233.JPG.e199e39037ae79c9efd206299af68d05.JPG

DSC07235.JPG.14f29d5d6a7ad001ab20b1e834b54294.JPG

The Cathedral of Nossa Senhora da Conceicao.....

DSC07254.JPG.66eb080dd113e1c132011cca71022808.JPG

The Iron House designed by Gustave Eiffel (or an associate) in the late 19th century as the governor’s residence.  Its metal-plated exterior proved unsuitable for tropical conditions......

DSC07252.JPG.37363ea112defe323aa7ece96f06c804.JPG

Tomorrow we are in Richards Bay, South Africa.

• Like 3

Today we were docked in Richards Bay, South Africa.  Myster took the camera with him on his Shakaland Zulu Village excursion.  Shakaland was built initially for Shaka Zulu, a TV mini-series about King Shaka that was made in South Africa in the mid-1980s, but the attention to detail by the set designers meant there was little work needed to transform it into an authentic cultural experience.  Some photos.....

DSC07262.JPG.6417772bc372b4cf1935a0c1ea7b7521.JPG

DSC07266.JPG.ab838d07d574b4d7cccbe4bcf86a38f7.JPG

Small scale mock-up of a Zulu village.....

DSC07271.JPG.66fdeee1cfacdf62eed226543fb75aa8.JPG 

Tomorrow we will be in Durban, South Africa.

• Like 1

No overnight in Richard's Bay? It's a great safari stop and there's more than enough for two days there. I was going to tell you to check out the vendors at the port there. I got a gorgeous carved elephant statue, of green agate, while docked there.

We worked on the price with the vendor every time we went back and forth, and finally on the last trip, struck a bargain that neither of us was happy with. Or at least we pretended that was the case!

Did they build the Protea hotel on the waterfront yet? When we docked there, it was a vacant lot and they were clearing the land to start building. 

Edited by jpalbny

No overnight in Richards Bay.  We are currently about to dock in Durban.  I did not leave the ship yesterday (being under the weather and on antibiotics not for anything contagious).  I did see the vendors from the veranda.  I don't know if the Protea Hotel has been built.  Maybe someone else can help with that question.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Did you get to see the White Lady?

No Silver we did not visit the Maritime Museum today.  The full size bronze statue of “The Lady in White”  unveiled in March 1995 on T jetty next to the Portnet offices was relocated to the Maritime Museum on the 27th September 2016.

Edited by mysty