Is HAL not going to Bermuda?

ithaca gal

We are currently visiting friends and talking about a Bermuda cruise for 2020. I wanted to look at the 2019 pricing to get an idea of what to expect but find nothing. I remember hearing something about HAL not going to Bermuda anymore. Can someone help me while our friends are together and discussing this? Thank you!

They are sending Veendam to Europe so she can sail into Venice whereas larger ships are not welcome . Hal has no ship; currently shedueld on weekly basis to Bermuda for next year. her small size enables Veendam to dock in downtown Hamilton. i sailed her last year on that cruise.

I sailed NCL DAwn the year before a nd docked at Boatyard I liked it just fine It was seven days Boston to Bermuda.

I have been to Bermuda many gtimes including sevearl resort sgays ands did not fhink i suh an advantage dcoking in Hamilon as many others do I was not unhappy docked at Boatyard. on NCL>>. perhaps because I had visited Bermuda so many times in the past.

Edited by sail7seas

Bermuda is not on HAL's itineraries for 2019. The Veendam, which has done the Bermuda run, and is one of only two (maybe 3; I don't know if the Prinsendam can dock) HAL ships that can dock in Hamilton; she is being redeployed to Europe. The Veendam is also capable of docking in Venice, which has new regulations about the size of ships allowed to sail the canal in.

So, Venice (and other ports in Europe) won out over Bermuda.

Hopefully, in future years HAL will be back in Bermuda again.

Max length is 700 feet, so R class ships are too long by 80 feet. Must have been some S class ship.

Possibly, howeve,r, as I indicated, iit was years ago, before Roterdam's aft was drastically changed IIs it posible, her measured LENGGTH CHANGEd when they took away he ra ft pool and added cabins? I think maybe :)

Edited by sail7seas

Possibly, howeve,r, as I indicated, iit was years ago, before Roterdam's aft was drastically changed IIs it posible, her measured LENGGTH CHANGEd when they took away he ra ft pool and added cabins? I think maybe :)
The first pier length number that I found said 700 feet, and that didn't make sense because the S ships are 719 feet long ... so I looked some more and found two other sources that say the pier is 750 feet. HAL's FastFacts.pdf spread sheet says all four R class ships are 780 feet long. Edited by catl331

They are sending Veendam to Europe so she can sail into Venice whereas larger ships are not welcome . Hal has no ship; currently shedueld on weekly basis to Bermuda for next year. her small size enables Veendam to dock in downtown Hamilton. i sailed her last year on that cruise.

I sailed NCL DAwn the year before a nd docked at Boatyard I liked it just fine It was seven days Boston to Bermuda.

I have been to Bermuda many gtimes including sevearl resort sgays ands did not fhink i suh an advantage dcoking in Hamilon as many others do I was not unhappy docked at Boatyard. on NCL>>. perhaps because I had visited Bermuda so many times in the past.

Sail, I diidn't know you had sailed on the Dawn. What was NCL like. I had heard that there was no outside walk around deck. My grandkids liked it well enough thou. It was their first cruise.

Just a thought: could it have been the previous SS Rotterdam (pre-1997) that was less than 750 feet?

In any case: even if HAL doesn't have a ship available that can dock in Hamilton doesn't mean that they won't decide to sail something there that has to go out to the Dockyard. It would be hard to compete with the big ships though.

Edited by catl331

Just a thought: could it have been the previous SS Rotterdam (pre-1997) that was less than 750 feet?

The ss Rotterdam (Rotterdam V from 1959) was not able to dock in Hamilton. It was anchored in the harbor when I was docked in Hamilton on the 1957 Statendam on my first cruise.

The ss Rotterdam (Rotterdam V from 1959) was not able to dock in Hamilton. It was anchored in the harbor when I was docked in Hamilton on the 1957 Statendam on my first cruise.

You are correct. I sailed to Bermuda on the Rotterdam V numerous times in the mid to late 1970's. We always dropped anchor in the harbor and tendered ashore. We never docked in Hamilton.

The 2019 World Cruise had Bermuda on the itinerary ... we were excited as that is a great place to stop. Then a year later, they removed it.

I suspect either $$ or politics.

Anyway it was disheartening that they removed it.

Obviously, they thought the Amsterdam (R-class) would fit!

harry

The 2019 World Cruise had Bermuda on the itinerary ... we were excited as that is a great place to stop. Then a year later, they removed it.

I suspect either $$ or politics.

Anyway it was disheartening that they removed it.

Obviously, they thought the Amsterdam (R-class) would fit!

harry

Amsterdam, at 777 feet, is too long for Hamilton Harbor. Bermudian authorities have banned any ship over 740 feet from docking in downtown Hamilton. If she was still calling at Bermuda for her 2019 GWV, Amsterdam would have gone to King's Wharf/Royal Navy Dockyard. The two remaining "S" class ships; Maasdam at a little less than 722 feet, and Veendam at 719', plus the elegant explorer at 669' can still make it into Hamilton if they/HAL wanted to

Amsterdam, at 777 feet, is too long for Hamilton Harbor. Bermudian authorities have banned any ship over 740 feet from docking in downtown Hamilton. If she was still calling at Bermuda for her 2019 GWV, Amsterdam would have gone to King's Wharf/Royal Navy Dockyard. The two remaining "S" class ships; Maasdam at a little less than 722 feet, and Veendam at 719', plus the elegant explorer at 669' can still make it into Hamilton if they/HAL wanted to
Thanks for sharing the info

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks for getting down to specifics !

Amsterdam was indeed scheduled for Kings Wharf during the 2019 World Cruise before that stop was cancelled.

Rotterdam and Zuiderdam are currently still scheduled to stop at Kings Wharf during transatlantics April 2019, according to HAL website.

In any case: even if HAL doesn't have a ship available that can dock in Hamilton doesn't mean that they won't decide to sail something there that has to go out to the Dockyard. It would be hard to compete with the big ships though.

We did the TA to Dover in May on the Prinsendam and docked at Hamilton.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The first pier length number that I found said 700 feet, and that didn't make sense because the S ships are 719 feet long ... so I looked some more and found two other sources that say the pier is 750 feet. HAL's FastFacts.pdf spread sheet says all four R class ships are 780 feet long.

Thanks for the research.

Noo, No, It would have been the current Roterdam :)

Having sailed Dawn to Bermuda and then the next year, Veendam , I can speak to eiither. I would again book a ship docking at dockyard.

What is it that everyone thinks is so negative a bout docking at Dockyard/? I thought it was fine.

Probably has to do with Hamilton and its convenience; walk off the gangway and just about everything is there. Used to be fun with the weekly, I believe it was/is called "Harbour Nights" every Wednesday evening in Summer, when they closed off the street and had vendors with easy ups move in. Dockyard is fine but it takes a while to get to Hamilton. Oh, and the Hamilton Town Crier ;)

Hamilton-town-crier.jpg

What is it that everyone thinks is so negative a bout docking at Dockyard/? I thought it was fine.
It just doesn't have the charm of downtown mere steps away. It's not "bad", it's just not as good. Edited by catl331

It just doesn't have the charm of downtown mere steps away. It's not "bad", it's just not as good.

IMO, NOT alL ttt much chaRM left THESE DAYS as used to be . The pa stels are pretty. ;

Edited by sail7seas