Recent Fort Lauderdale Disembarkations - Can we make an 8:05am flight out of FLL?

schmeed

Our Adventure cruise returns to Fort Lauderdale on 4/7/19. The best flight out was 8:05am. I know the port is only a few minutes from FLL and we can do self-departure (walk off).

Has anyone come back to Fort Lauderdale and made it to FLL in time for an 8:05am flight?

YES, I know we are cutting it close. ;p

S

ailed out of Port of Miami, w

e had a 10:25 flight out of FLL,

we did self assist, arranged SAS Transportation to FLL, we checked our bags at FLL at 8 am. I don't recall what time we were through TSA or at the gate

You are quite rude.

not rude. factual. it is the definition of insanity to even consider a flight out that early. just because you pull in at 0530 does not mean they will start departure at 0600. earliest we have ever seen self assist get called was 45 minutes after tieing up to the pier.

Originally posted by cruisinfanatic That's not cutting it close. That's stupid

You are quite rude.

No, they aren't being rude. It is insane to think you can make an 8:00 a.m. flight after getting off of a cruise ship. You will have to wait until the ship is cleared before anyone can disembark.

You have to then go through customs & scanners before leaving the terminal. And there are 1,000s of people going through customs.

Then when you leave the terminal ... you need to get a taxi or uber (DON'T take a shuttle!) and in potentially morning commuter rush hour traffic ... make it to the airport, check in & check/scan your luggage and get to your gate by 7:30 a.m. ??? You are not cutting it close ... it is impossible!

I certainly hope you have not booked this flight. I hope you are asking for input prior to paying for your airline tix. Do a search and read how many people have responded with similar answer of NO to similar questions ... but with a much later flight time.

The VERY earliest self departure will begin is 6:00, but it could easily be 6:30 or even 7:00. If you are checking bags for your flight, bag check for an 8:05 flight will probably end at 7:20 or 7:35. It varies by airline but is typically 30-45 min prior to scheduled departure. I think for a few airlines it is an hour before, which be 7:05. Also, most airlines have a policy that you need to be at the gate no later than 30 min (again, may vary by airline) before your flight or you risk being denied boarding and having your seat given away to a standby passenger. So assume your bags need to be checked no later than 7:20 and you need to be through security and at the gate no later than 7:35 but double check both of those times with your airline. Even if the flight isn't full and there's no risk of losing your seat, the boarding door generally closes about 10 min prior to departure so the passenger manifest can be finalized.

All this to say don't assume you can walk right off the ship at 5:30, or even 6:00, and don't assume you can just waltz up to the airline check-in counter at 7:45 to check your bags, or to the gate at 8:00 to board just ahead of the door closing.

Our Adventure cruise returns to Fort Lauderdale on 4/7/19. The best flight out was 8:05am. I know the port is only a few minutes from FLL and we can do self-departure (walk off).

Has anyone come back to Fort Lauderdale and made it to FLL in time for an 8:05am flight?

YES, I know we are cutting it close. ;p

'Best' isn't the right word. 'Riskiest' is much better...

Ok folks, just to be clear, I was asking if ANYONE HAD DONE THIS. I didn't say I was GOING TO DO THIS. I wanted to see if it was possible.

I don't need the lectures on how the process works. I've been on plenty of cruises to know how this works. I was just inquiring to see if it was possible. I don't want to stress over the end of the vacation either, but getting home early is appealing in it's own right.

So, let's shut down the comments. Thanks everyone for your input!

You are quite rude.

Agreed, however, what is your cost if you don't make the flight? It's not like it is still the golden age of flying where you can get on the next flight or your ticket is honored by another carrier. This is pushing it a little too far with possibly, at best a 50% chance of success. (just a guess)

For what little its worth, I'd be happy to find a flight home anywhere around 10 or 11am, Usually the earliest I can get is 2-6pm.

Ok folks, just to be clear, I was asking if ANYONE HAD DONE THIS. I didn't say I was GOING TO DO THIS. I wanted to see if it was possible.

I don't need the lectures on how the process works. I've been on plenty of cruises to know how this works. I was just inquiring to see if it was possible. I don't want to stress over the end of the vacation either, but getting home early is appealing in it's own right.

So, let's shut down the comments. Thanks everyone for your input!

I haven't even had my coffee yet, and find YET ANOTHER, can I get the "crack of stupid" flight if the ship arrives at 5am.

You posted on a public forum, asked a question that has been asked hundreds of times before, with thousands of responses, yet you have an issue when someone honestly answers your question.

In MY opinion....Do it, do what makes you happy, nobody is affected by your choices but you.

So when your cruise buddy from down the hall, passes you by in the airport terminal happily on his way to an 11am flight he has time to make, along with getting a beverage, waving at you, still waiting for YOUR flight at 7am TOMORROW.

I would suggest you either rethink your flight schedule or have a back up plan.

By the way, this isn't a "rude" comment, just an honest observation cruising and flying out of Ft Lauderdale for 20 years.