Live Blog! – B2B2B Seward to Japan – Millennium 2018– Join us for our next adventure

Jim_Iain

Did the Japanese Explorer cruise last year and found it wonderful. When in Kobe avoid the low quality beef served on the street at tourist places. Splurge and get the high quality beef if you want a good eating experience.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the advise. We rarely would consider street food due to fear of sanitation but doubt that would be a problem in Japan.

Will definitely try a nice restaurant. Were there any sites that you recommend.

Hi,

Continuing to follow your wonderful trip. Enjoy my early morning coffee catching up with your blog !

Enjoy the Japanese Explorer leg of your trip...and thanks again for taking us all along !

I was fortunate to have spent a good portion of my childhood (thru HS and again after college) in Asia...but Japan was one of the countries I was never able to travel to...so am especially excited for this portion of your journey !

BBL

Great shot of sunset and Mt Fuji !

Thank you for following along. It is always nice to know their is someone out there besides my family following along.

I'm sure you would love Japan. It is so different than much of Asia that we have visited. One thing that has impressed us and other guests is the friendliness of the Japanese and the cleanliness. It is hard to believe but I think it is cleaner than Singapore.

As Betty Davis said "Hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride!"!

Kong-rey strengthening as it heads northwest

10/1/2018 2:11:52 PM

As of Monday afternoon, EDT, Typhoon Kong-rey is strengthening across the Philippine Sea, about 975 miles to the east-southeast of Taipei, Taiwan. Sustained winds are near 115 mph with gusts to 160 mph. Movement is to the northwest at about 10 mph.

Kong-rey is expected to strengthen further over the next 24 hours as it moves to the northwest through an area of limited wind shear and warm water temperatures. Kong-rey could briefly become a super typhoon. A general track to the northwest is expected, which will put the storm near Taiwan, southeast China and the southern Ryukyu Islands during the second half of the week. All interests from Taiwan through Japan will need to monitor the progress of Kong-rey this week.

Elsewhere across the basin, tropical development is not expected during the next several days.

By AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist John Gresiak.

Thanks for the information. We experienced rough seas last evening but is a very pleasant day at sea this morning.

It is surprising how so little information is available unless you do a lot of Googling. I have been watching the Wave Height projections on Stormsurf and as best as I can determine look like Busan area may be affected on our scheduled visit. Regardless we are enjoying our cruise.

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=npac_height

It is always interesting on a b2b to see the changes to demographics. This cruise has a large population from Canada, Japan, US and Australia. The average age is also much younger than the crossing. I'm guessing the average age is 55-65. I've also noticed a number of families traveling with children and tweens.

We met a really nice couple from Sydney last evening at dinner in Luminea. They were telling us that the nice thing of cruising from Tokyo is that it is only a 9 hour flight and only 1 hour time zone change.

More later - We just finished breakfast in our room and usually go out for my walking at 10:00 when our stateroom attendant cleans our room. He asked us on our first day what our preferred time was for cleaning the room - he is very consistent and our room is always cleaned by the time we get back.

Thanks for the advise. We rarely would consider street food due to fear of sanitation but doubt that would be a problem in Japan.

Will definitely try a nice restaurant. Were there any sites that you recommend.

Found the Temple by the Sea in South Korea interesting.

Transportation at all ports is quite good and you can do many things on your own.

Thank you for following along. It is always nice to know their is someone out there besides my family following along.

I'm sure you would love Japan. It is so different than much of Asia that we have visited. One thing that has impressed us and other guests is the friendliness of the Japanese and the cleanliness. It is hard to believe but I think it is cleaner than Singapore.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the Japanese Explorer! We are booked on the same itinerary next April.

Found the Temple by the Sea in South Korea interesting.

Transportation at all ports is quite good and you can do many things on your own.

Will have to see that. We are arriving Kobe in 2 hours (5PM). We had a tour with a CC member for today and luckily the guide was able to move it to tomorrow.

I'm really enjoying your live blog,a really good mix of on board and shore trips,more so as we are due to join the Millennium on 27th in Shanghai on our first cruise with Celebrity.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I'm sure you will enjoy your vacation on Millennium. The staff is incredible and contrary to many of the reviews I've read she is in very good condition. As a matter of fact a couple from Australia we met last night at dinner was saying they were concerned prior to the cruise with all the negative reviews and were very impressed with both the service and the condition of the ship.

We have been reading from the start. We are half way though a Panama Canal Cruise on the Infinity and will be done and home before you finish this leg. The crew here were very interested in the Millennium and the storm.

You can let the staff of Infinity know all is well. Millennium overnighted in the harbor while we were evacuated and said that it was relative smooth. They enjoyed their nigh off with the crew bar open 24 hours a day, they had an extended menu for their party including pizza and hot dogs. The ship provided some entertainment and movies for them as well as the crew entertaining themselves with Karaoke.

We are hearing that there is another Typhoon heading our way that may impact us next week.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the Japanese Explorer! We are booked on the same itinerary next April.

I'll try to continue posting as much as possible. Internet has been good most of the time and the weather is fantastic. Today was sunny and about 76-78. Very comfortable and many taking to the pool deck for a bit of sun.

226f95200ecb233c64c77c8d3c3b2371.jpg

34a018dcbc90136aeb4b5fc681cedc39.jpg

Received a memo today on submission of receipts for our overnight in Yokohama. When I brought down our receipts for meals the MCC advised that they were only reimbursing only hotel and transportation. Instead we will be receiving a one day refund of our cruise fare.

f37f18d0f2443c59dffa15e2d08c5245.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure you will enjoy your vacation on Millennium. The staff is incredible and contrary to many of the reviews I've read she is in very good condition. As a matter of fact a couple from Australia we met last night at dinner was saying they were concerned prior to the cruise with all the negative reviews and were very impressed with both the service and the condition of the ship.

We are on the 27th October sailing too and really looking forward to an amazing vacation.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great information! So many of my questions have already been answered now!

Do you know if Captain Alex will still be on board or, if not, who the new Captain will be?

Very happy that everyone was safe in Yokohama and hope you have a great time for the rest of the cruise.

Looking forward to reading all about it! :)

Esperanza

I am also following along from the other side of the world.;) I am really enjoying your post from the first day on. I have been to Asia, but never to Japan. My niece recently was in Japan on a Student Exchange and provided us with daily impressions und photos via a Family WhatsApp Group.

Thanks again for the time and efforts you put in this blog. :*

Regards from Germany

Christine

We are on the 27th October sailing too and really looking forward to an amazing vacation.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great information! So many of my questions have already been answered now!

Do you know if Captain Alex will still be on board or, if not, who the new Captain will be?

Very happy that everyone was safe in Yokohama and hope you have a great time for the rest of the cruise.

Looking forward to reading all about it! :)

Esperanza

Not sure of the exact date that Captain Alex leaves the ship but should be close to ending soon. The Captain's rotate every 3 months and he has been on for about 2 1/2 at this point.

From many of the staff we hear that they usually rotate staff in Busan as Japan can be more difficult.

I am also following along from the other side of the world.;) I am really enjoying your post from the first day on. I have been to Asia, but never to Japan. My niece recently was in Japan on a Student Exchange and provided us with daily impressions und photos via a Family WhatsApp Group.

Thanks again for the time and efforts you put in this blog. :*

Regards from Germany

Christine

Thank you Christine.

It is really an amazing trip and really enjoying getting to visit Japan. It is so different than other cruises and we are constantly amazed by the friendliness and cleanliness of each port.

Hi

We arrived home to Toronto Sunday night but still have jetlag.

We really loved the crossing and will be following your blog.

Sherrill OntarioCruiser

Sherrill - was wonderful cruising with you. We have been doing a lot of rocking and rolling on this cruise and have a feeling we will be experience more as the next Typhoon heads our way.

We are in Kochi today and even thought we are tied up are feeling some rocking of the ship.

Yesterday, Wednesday we had a rescheduled tour that had been arranged by Jean and Allen from Cruise Critic. What a fantastic day we had in our small group of 8.

We were met at the terminal by Yoko our guide for the day. She was a beautiful lady that was no taller than 5 feet. She gave us a wonderful tour and wore us all out.

We first grabbed a taxi to the rail station to catch the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto. We purchased round trip tickets which ran us 18,200 yen pp. The train is very comfortable and travels at about 120-140 mph. We arrived in Kyoto in 27 minutes.

In Kyoto with the help of Yoko we purchased a prepaid card with 2,000 yen on each card. The cards could be used on Buses, trams, and subways.

· Kyoto: Heritage and Tradition

· Enjoy the scenery in the quiet and stillness of the Golden Pavilion Kinkaku-ji.

· Get mercy from the 1,001 figures of Kannon at Sanjusangendo.

· Take a few steps inside at the Fushimi Inari Taisha and tunnel of 10,000

red torii.

· “Hunt” Geisha in historic Gion district

9ceaafc4fb297b520fdaf676849c8969.jpg

cf2ce5a8493d2e2799d0d0a9925f97c1.jpg

c10301f88d1e0b176eb827c248d6a8a6.jpg

53eda583d300ed03cf207ad8d0ab4ab4.jpg

b27d0f6f1b1c4c1b019495a07292b13c.jpg

c86f4fc42cee785c6e714c5d01dad4ec.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain