Booking two rooms- question on drinks package

Binney59

Hi, we are going on our first cruise and will be traveling on Oasis of the Seas March 24th. It will be my wife, myself and our 3 children ages 10, 9, and 7. We booked two connecting boardwalk balconies and each room includes 2 free soda packages.

My wife doesn’t drink much at all but I wanted to get a drink package and planned on putting me with 2 kids in one room and her with the other kid. That would, in my mind, give her and all three kids he soda package and I could get the alcohol package. I read that everyone over 21 in the same room needed to book the alcohol package which is why I thought arranging like this would be best.

When I spoke with someone this weekend they said that cannot be done and that we are best to have my wife and I in the same room, buy her a package and then only have 2 kids who get free soda package. This seems bizarre to me but before I called again (I’ve called and emailed) I wanted to check here for advise or to see if I am missing something? Any help is appreciated!!

Your plan makes perfect sense to me.

The soda packages come two to a cabin (for a Boardwalk balcony cabin) - not assigned to a specific person - so the two kids with you can have them, and your wife and other child could have the other two. Would be zero issue with you purchasing the single alcohol package for yourself with this plan either - since there would be no other adults over 21 in your cabin.

Dan.

Whoever you spoke with who said that is wrong. You have the right idea. You don't want to be in the same cabin as your wife unless you are both going to get a drink package (doesn't have to be the same package, but either Deluxe Beverage or Refreshment), so putting one adult in each room and splitting the kids is ideal for your situation.

Anyway, the soda package is mostly fulfilled by using the Coke Freestyle machines so mere possession of the cup is enough to use them; getting a soda from the bar or in a dining room is the only time you might need to show the SeaPass card for it.

Thank you for clarifying! I read the replies and called someone else and was able to change our reservation to split my wife and I up and confirmed that I can still add a single alcohol package that way. I appreciate the prompt replies and look forward to cruise even more now!

Thank you for clarifying! I read the replies and called someone else and was able to change our reservation to split my wife and I up and confirmed that I can still add a single alcohol package that way. I appreciate the prompt replies and look forward to cruise even more now!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I applaud how quickly you caught onto RC's tricks with a trick of your own! Kudos!

Hi, we are going on our first cruise and will be traveling on Oasis of the Seas March 24th. It will be my wife, myself and our 3 children ages 10, 9, and 7. We booked two connecting boardwalk balconies and each room includes 2 free soda packages.

My wife doesn’t drink much at all but I wanted to get a drink package and planned on putting me with 2 kids in one room and her with the other kid. That would, in my mind, give her and all three kids he soda package and I could get the alcohol package. I read that everyone over 21 in the same room needed to book the alcohol package which is why I thought arranging like this would be best.

When I spoke with someone this weekend they said that cannot be done and that we are best to have my wife and I in the same room, buy her a package and then only have 2 kids who get free soda package. This seems bizarre to me but before I called again (I’ve called and emailed) I wanted to check here for advise or to see if I am missing something? Any help is appreciated!!

Just returned from Oasis 8/19 cruise, traveled with my brother and his family (2 kids under 18), when booking your reservation, place you and your wife in separate cabins (wife does not drink a lot). That way you can purchase the drink pkg and your wife does not have to. My brother does this when traveling with family, I thought it was required kids under 18 have to have an adult (18+) assigned to the cabin. When you arrive on the ship go to Guess Services and get extra keys for both rooms that way you all have access to both cabins. Have fun

Unfortunately I had to buy two pkg for the wife and I, offset it with $175 OBC so it worked out.

Thanks for the replies- splitting us up on the reservation and then just switching rooms after is what we decided on.

Luke- did you purchase your drinks package ahead of time or on the ship? What was the pricing?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies- splitting us up on the reservation and then just switching rooms after is what we decided on.

Luke- did you purchase your drinks package ahead of time or on the ship? What was the pricing?

Thanks!

Yes, keep looking at your cruise planner, if you received on board credit as part of your cabin, sometime it will post to your planner and you can use it for pre-cruise purchases. For my cruise the cost of the package went up and down for a couple of months. One day it was $50/person, another it was buy 1 get second 50% off (the price shown reflects discount for two, remember the planner knows how many +21 are in the cabin), another day it was 25% off. I think I saw all option 2-3 times. I bought mine at buy 1 get second at 50% off or $47 per person plus 18% service/tip or $388/person. My brother got his at $50 plus 18%. He was the only +18 in his cabin, so he did not get the promos like me.

Keep in mind if you buy it and later see a better offer, just cancel it and buy again at the new rate. I did that as well.

Thanks!

I do not recall the cost if purchased on the boat, they do push the pkg a lot. I thought it was $59 plus 18%, don't hold me to this. You are also you are traveling during spring break so I do not know what the cost will be. I have paid less on Vision of the Seas so the cost can be ship specific.

If you want an early drink you can get beer and some liquors at the Café Promenade or Park Café or in the Main Dinning room.

Yes, keep looking at your cruise planner, if you received on board credit as part of your cabin, sometime it will post to your planner and you can use it for pre-cruise purchases. For my cruise the cost of the package went up and down for a couple of months. One day it was $50/person, another it was buy 1 get second 50% off (the price shown reflects discount for two, remember the planner knows how many +21 are in the cabin), another day it was 25% off. I think I saw all option 2-3 times. I bought mine at buy 1 get second at 50% off or $47 per person plus 18% service/tip or $388/person. My brother got his at $50 plus 18%. He was the only +18 in his cabin, so he did not get the promos like me.

Keep in mind if you buy it and later see a better offer, just cancel it and buy again at the new rate. I did that as well.

That's incorrect about him not getting the same pricing as people booked 2 per room. I'm sailing solo and bought by drink package on a buy one get one 50% off promo that resulted in a price of $45pdpp and I paid $45 as a solo. Your brother must have just purchased on a different day than you when it was a higher price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

...I thought it was required kids under 18 have to have an adult (18+) assigned to the cabin.

My kids are older now, but in the past they could be in their own separate room if they were next door or across the hall (even diagonally across). I assume this is still the case.

Definitely check around a holiday for a drink promotion. I bought it for $45 last year and during the 4th of July sale I repurchased it for $39 for the Anthem sailing tomorrow. I know times of year and ships have different promotions, but find a price that suits you and you can always repurchase if it drops.