Library

tere247

I often find the most interesting titles on Princess ships are on the "exchange" shelves. I'll typically get two or three selections from our local library's donation table (they sell donated books for a max of $1) and leave them on board after my cruise to add to the wealth.

Sorry, but the library is one of my favorite parts of the ship. Elimination of the library and later the bookshelf on another line is a contributing factor to my decision to book elsewhere.

Seems a lot from NE suddenly My mothers family is from Cedar Hill an area a couple of miles from Morse Bluff. I am in London at present leaving on Monday on the Royal Princess for a 15 day TA to NYC. You are not doing the same by chance? Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems a lot from NE suddenly My mothers family is from Cedar Hill an area a couple of miles from Morse Bluff. I am in London at present leaving on Monday on the Royal Princess for a 15 day TA to NYC. You are not doing the same by chance? Mike

I knew there was someone with family near Morse Bluff on this board :) !

I wish I was going on a TA right now! Have a great time.

Sadly, not. I love TA's. But, we still run a construction business which makes it hard to cruise in the fall.

I am not familiar with either Cedar Hill or Morse Bluff? In Eastern Nebraska?

Opinion only.

Well stocked libraries are history. It's now all about electronic books and readers. If there is one on the Sky it probably will be in the same location as it is on the Regal or in the Internet Cafe. Games, puzzles will be available someplace, maybe also in the internet cafe. On the Star Princess the internet cafe and library are combined.

Not to be difficult, but I hope that you are wrong. Not only on ships, but in life too. I have been a voracious reader since I was five years old. I don't ever want an electronic reader. There is nothing like having a new, just out book in your hands. A REAL book. Judging from the amount of people I am falling over in my local bookstore, I am not the only one who feels this way.

Not to be difficult, but I hope that you are wrong. Not only on ships, but in life too. I have been a voracious reader since I was five years old. I don't ever want an electronic reader. There is nothing like having a new, just out book in your hands. A REAL book. Judging from the amount of people I am falling over in my local bookstore, I am not the only one who feels this way.

I used to feel that way. I am surprised how much I still like to read real books but I have to say I also like my Kindle.

I used to buy hard backs when they first came out. I no longer do that (they take too much space at home). So now I check out books from the library. I have to say how easy it was to check out 7 books right before I left for my last cruise and it saved weight in my suitcase.

Just wanted to say that I understand where you are but have also joined the Kindle revolution. I think you can use both and not abandon regular books. There is a time and place for both!

Agree. The revolution is not in a day, a week or even a year....it will be gradual but certain and ships are built for the future. Suddenly about 10 years ago cursive writing disappeared from our elementary schools. I found out when I wrote some young friends thank you notes and they told me they couldn’t make out all the swirls and connected letters

A few years ago our very high priced local Catholic High Schools announced that beginning the following year everything would be done on iPads from note taking, homework to tests. Certain things can happen very quickly and unexpectedly. They continue to use them even though a variety of studies have shown subject matter is not retained as well when typed on an iPad. Someone recently said we could cripple a whole generation if we had only cars with stick shift and used cursive writing. Mike

I don't ever want an electronic reader. There is nothing like having a new, just out book in your hands. A REAL book. Judging from the amount of people I am falling over in my local bookstore, I am not the only one who feels this way.

Never once has a real book that I have read run out of battery power.

Not to mention the ease of carrying 10-15 books with you or many more on a long trip or cruise and an important fact Amazon prices are often only 2/3 the price and you can shop almost anywhere and have your book in about a minute. I used to have many of the same sentiments until I tried it and now I would never go back. Mike

Not to mention the ease of carrying 10-15 books with you or many more on a long trip or cruise and an important fact Amazon prices are often only 2/3 the price and you can shop almost anywhere and have your book in about a minute. I used to have many of the same sentiments until I tried it and now I would never go back. Mike

I have tried my granddaughters Kindle, and a Nook. I would, and did, go back. Just not my cup of tea thank you. Used books that I dont keep get sold on ebay, but I do keep my favorites.

I was a library lover from early childhood, but I've switched my allegiance over to e-books. For me, they're just better. Not as much weight on arthritic wrists and germ-free. I'm not wildly germophobic (or whatever the term is for that), but a few years ago it occurred to me that magazines at doctors' offices were something best left alone. This has transferred out to books that aren't mine. Maybe that does make me wildly germophobic?