Aboard QM2 now (9-23 Sept)

MarkBearSF

No idea about future Verandah plans... However, I'll stop by again. I'll update the thread if I learn anything different.

UPDATE - I just stopped by the Veranda to check with the actual MD. At least for the next crossing, they will still be offering the Steakhouse menu.

(I didn't go further to discuss the future as I was a bit nervous being there in jeans and untucked shirt at 6:20 PM - we were headed back to the cabin after the FOD get-together at 5:00)

- Mark

Today's notes:

• We ate at Coriander last night. It was our first time eating at the Kings Court Alternative Dining. It was absolutely delicious and a wonderful experience. They offered a delicious assortment of Indian food for appetizers and the entrees were served in sharable pots on a heating tray, so we were able to try each other's items. We loved them all. We look forward to dining at the Bamboo (Asian) version next week.
  • I noticed that the days for time change were different from both a recently scanned set of Daily Programmes and our own memories of last year. From this I gather that the decision of when to change the clocks is the Captain's decision?
  • The Commodore Club continues to feature sleepy classical music at the piano after dinner, with the resulting almost-empty room. It almost hurts to remember how popular it was with sparkling conversation, when it featured smart nightclub music like Cole Porter, Sondheim, and the Great American Songbook standards from the 40s-50s-60s.
  • Today I painted a recognizeable tree and flowers. Small steps. I'm enjoying the experience and am happy I started it this trip. The instructors, Chris and Patrick, are wonderful.

Off to afternoon tea!

- Mark

We enjoy the Kings Court alternative dining and try to do it once per cruise (although we haven't used it since the remastering, so maybe the imperative isn't strong).

I would have assumed the clocks would change on the central five days. Are they changing at noon, as is typical for eastbound trips?

I would have assumed the clocks would change on the central five days. Are they changing at noon, as is typical for eastbound trips?

Yes they are changing at noon - and in this case, the central days. I recall on our last eastbound, they changed the first sea day, but not the second. The scanned programmes were similar.

- Mark

I have seen these two variations for the five days when the time changes are done at noon on 7-day eastbound crossings (counting embarkation day as day 1).

• days 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7
  • days 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7

The second variation was the one employed on our most recent 10 June 2018 eastbound crossing. We've been on crossings with Captain Wells in command for both of these variations, so I'm not sure how the decision is made regarding which days to do the time changes.

Edited by bluemarble

Some whine with dinner...

On this crossing we've definitely seen the results of a lower per diem food budget in Britannia. While the preparation has been excellent. For instance, on the first dinner, the beef offering was a paillard of beef, which is a treatment for a less-expensive cut. It was delicious, no big deal, especially for a non-formal menu. However tonight was the second formal/gala evening. Instead of a NY Strip steak or prime rib, there was beef tenderloin. Instead of rack of lamb or even leg of lamb, there was stuffed saddle. No lobster or any impressive seafood offered. No escargots, french onion soup, or other "special" starters. My seafood appetizer was four tiny lonely shrimp, and two microscopic clams arranged on a strip of cucumber. Miserly.

They were all well prepared, but at a certain point one wonders if Cunard has cut too far.

- Mark

• The Commodore Club continues to feature sleepy classical music at the piano after dinner, with the resulting almost-empty room. It almost hurts to remember how popular it was with sparkling conversation, when it featured smart nightclub music like Cole Porter, Sondheim, and the Great American Songbook standards from the 40s-50s-60s.

- Mark

Quite agree Mark - if they want the ambience in the Commodore Club to reflect sophisticated musical tastes then the cocktail-pianist should have a wide repertoire of the great musical 'standards' of yesteryear. Five or ten years ago this was never a problem but if the current tendency is for classical music then that tells you all you need to know about the young executives who organise these things. Small wonder that business in the CC is not what it used to be.

In the Commodore on QVic this summer the pianist was a very talented guy who played a lot of 60s and 70s pop songs like Elton John e.g. I enjoyed it a lot.

When Mark Bear bemoaned the downgrading of sophisticated music such as the Great American Songbook and Cole Porter in the Commodore Club I very much doubt that he included the piano thumping of Elton John in this category :)

What has the weather been on the crossing? Doing my last minute packing and the change here this week made me reevaluate what to wear. How cool is it during the day outdoors? Is the AC obnoxiously cold inside?

The weather has been fabulous! People were outside in swimsuits around the outside pools on deck 8 today. Yesterday was similar. Warm weather, very calm seas. Of course all of this could change on the return.

The AC has been less chilly than I've experienced in the past. In fact, I've been warm at times inside. Our cabin is set on the coolest settings. (But then again, I like it a bit cool when sleeping, especially with the Cunard duvets.

- Mark

When Mark Bear bemoaned the downgrading of sophisticated music such as the Great American Songbook and Cole Porter in the Commodore Club I very much doubt that he included the piano thumping of Elton John in this category :)

Actually, I have no problem with songs by Elton John, the Beatles and the like. As part of the mix, of course, While perhaps "Crocodile Rock" might be a poor fit, "Your Song" or "Eleanor Rigby" could be fab.

- Mark

We boarded the QM2 today in NY for a round-trip crossing. Feel free to ask any questions.

Some notes on what I've seen thus far:

• It's still "The Steakhouse at the Veranda" - and I'm told it will also be so for the return crossing
  • As previously reported, pre-dinner hot hors d'ouvres in the Commodore Club are a thing of the past
  • The combined starter/soup/salad offerings in Britannia are even fewer than before. On the positive side, the unpublished always-avaiable items are still available (I had shrip cocktail as an appetizer). The dinner was excellent, however.
  • Internet speed seems as slow as ever, but not as slow as some reports might have you believe.

It's good to be "back home"

Can someone help me out with what the unpublished always available items are?

Thanks.