Travelling on the Queen Mary with pet in kennel

KarenS

See Junker is Threatening the UK with a 4 day Quarantine period for UK to Europe for pets . Re Brexit.

So if QM2 is continuing to France or Hamburg after its Southampton stop, it may seriously be worth considering.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6228497/British-planes-wont-able-land-EU-Brexit-goes-wrong-pets-face-four-day-quarantines.html

Can pets traveling from NY to Southampton continue on to Hamburg? I was under the impression that the kennels were only in operation for the trans-atlantic portion of voyages and closed on all other voyages, such as from UK to Hamburg.

Can pets traveling from NY to Southampton continue on to Hamburg? I was under the impression that the kennels were only in operation for the trans-atlantic portion of voyages and closed on all other voyages, such as from UK to Hamburg.

Yea I think you could be correct.

From the Cunard website

Kennels are only open on Queen Mary 2 during Transatlantic voyages between the following ports of embarkation/disembarkation for dogs and cats only - no birds.

Southampton

Hamburg

New York

For those of you who have sailed with your pets, what personal items are the pets allowed? Can I bring the cat's bed and some toys? How about food bowls and do they provide litter boxes and litter?

You can bring toys and whatever you want to put in the kennel.

they do supply a bed, litter box, food, litter etc.

Play it safe however and bring your own food if it is not readily available as they usually have part of the order wrong.

Hi! Yes you can bring toys and bedding for your pet. I also bring their food bowls but they always have lots on board. Also: they have lots of bedding as well. I am not sure about litter boxes and litter cause I have dogs. The reason I bring bedding, toys and bowls is due to the fact that my dogs will be familiar with them. Do they really care? I am not sure!! I do bring their favourite treats-that they care about!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

Get a new TA!   That is not a helpful response from them.

You need to book a year or so in advance or you are put on the wait list.   Some on the wait list do however still get spots as things happen, plans change, and some people reserve more than one crossing and then when the non refundable day arrives they decide which crossing they want and cancel the others.   As long as you are planning a year or so in advance you should be able to find a spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gkerlin said:

Get a new TA!   That is not a helpful response from them.

You need to book a year or so in advance or you are put on the wait list.   Some on the wait list do however still get spots as things happen, plans change, and some people reserve more than one crossing and then when the non refundable day arrives they decide which crossing they want and cancel the others.   As long as you are planning a year or so in advance you should be able to find a spot.

Thank you so much gklrin. This was supposed to be our first time on Cunard— Booked in November for the last crossing in early January 2018.  This TA books mostly—well almost exclusively— luxury lines and did his best, I guess. We had to cancel that trip (thank goodness for travel insurance) but are booked on the January 3-10, 2019 crossing. No dog kennel needed.  Very much looking forward to our trip: 2 days in NYC (Hamilton!) and 4 days in London, where the weather will probably be awful but who cares!!!  Thanks again. 

It's a great time to be in London.  Rotten weather, no crowds.

I've done this crossing.  The weather was amazingly nice.  The Gulf Stream was a treat.  Your results will be variable.  

Just plan a lazy afternoon at the spa pool on your crossing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orvil said:

It's a great time to be in London.  Rotten weather, no crowds.

I've done this crossing.  The weather was amazingly nice.  The Gulf Stream was a treat.  Your results will be variable.  

Just plan a lazy afternoon at the spa pool on your crossing.

Thanks! The hotel prices are really low!!!  I will have to check out that spa pool!! 

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

No crowds? In London? Surely you are thinking of somewhere else. And it's the sales.

Thanks for the heads up. I was hopeful the bad weather would keep some of the crowds away!  Hadn’t thought about the post-holiday sales, though. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2018 at 1:41 PM, Pennbank said:

Again don’t wish to be alarming, but in March UK exits Brexit, what the EU will do to Persons in the UK for travelling on to the EU is anyone’s guess. Let alone animals. So if QM2 is going forward to France or Germany from Southampton . I would take it.

Pennbank, any new info on animals and Brexit situation?

• 7 months later...

Just on toys, after a serious incident on a recent crossing there’s now a ‘no toy’ policy on the open deck and kennel rooms, so only bring a toy to keep inside the cage.

Also note that the food policy has changed and they no longer take requests; there’s a list of about 12 varieties which they stock and you pick from that (or bring your own, remembering that any spare food or treats will need to be thrown away and cannot be taken off the ship)

On Brexit, the position appears to be:

- no Brexit: no problem

- delayed Brexit: wait and see

- leave with a deal: same arrangements as now, at least for the transition period

- leave without a deal:  we immediately become an unlisted country, making it impossible to travel with pets at short notice, because of the time it takes to go through the steps for the rabies test.  Pet passports become invalid.

In the no deal situation my guess is that after a time a deal will be done to make us a listed country, like the US, simplifying the requirements again.  However the existing pet passport is a document issued under EU regulations, and would (probably) be replaced with a British equivalent.  This would mean everyone having to reapply and pay for a new passport to be issued.

Edited by IB2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, KarenS said:

We are moving to Europe from the US next year and the only way to get our cat there comfortably was to take advantage of the kennel service on the Queen Mary NYC to Southhampton cruise.

Has anyone traveled with their pets and have some tips for me? One of my main concerns is what time we can disembark in Southampton so I can arrange for the car service to pick us up for our ride through the Chunnel. Do the pet people all leave at the same time or do I sit around waiting with my cat in her pet carry-on?

Also, do we embark the normal way or is there a special procedure for that as well? I will appreciate any insight on this, getting humans to and from a cruise is sometimes a hassle, this will be a totally new experience for me with a cat!