Internationally Adopted Child Documents

nrain02

My son is bringing a friend with us on our cruise this Sunday. He is 17 and was internationally adopted. He does not have a passport, but does have a US issued birth certificate and a certificate of citizenship. He also has his state ID. Will this be enough documentation to travel with? According to Carnival’s website, it appears he only needs the government issued birth certificate, but when I do a search on cruise critic, I’m getting conflicting experiences... anyone have recent first hand experience? Also can these documents be copies or do they have to be originals? Is the adoption paperwork needed? Thanks

I'm not sure how he can have a US birth certificate but at a minimum I would think he would need the certificate of citizenship and his photo ID. The naturalization certificate needs to be the original. He might also need an authorization letter from his parents. As a side note the naturalization certificate costs $550 to replace. When I found that out I looked into getting a passport card for DW but we ended up getting Enhanced Drivers Licenses (one less document to carry). I wouldn't think that the adoption paperwork is needed and would suggest that you call Carnival about that.

when I do a search on cruise critic, I’m getting conflicting experiences

That's because cruise critic is a public forum where people express opinions and personal experiences, which are not necessarily facts.

Refer to the cruise line's website and if in doubt phone them. Then ask for confirmation by email, print it out and take it with you!

I know it wasn't asked, and you might have it all under control, but as a minor and not your child, then you may require a notarized letter from his parent/s that allow him to travel with you.

As stated, it is better to have it directly from the cruise line - in writing.

I'm not sure how he can have a US birth certificate but at a minimum I would think he would need the certificate of citizenship and his photo ID. The naturalization certificate needs to be the original. He might also need an authorization letter from his parents. As a side note the naturalization certificate costs $550 to replace. When I found that out I looked into getting a passport card for DW but we ended up getting Enhanced Drivers Licenses (one less document to carry). I wouldn't think that the adoption paperwork is needed and would suggest that you call Carnival about that.

Just an FYI: naturalization certificate and certificate of citizenship are two different things. The internationally adopted child didn't naturalize, so he doesn't have a naturalization certificate. He became a US citizen through his adoptive US citizen parents - hence, he has a certificate of citizenship.

This young person is already a US citizen. The adoption paperwork is not needed.

Just an FYI: naturalization certificate and certificate of citizenship are two different things. The internationally adopted child didn't naturalize, so he doesn't have a naturalization certificate. He became a US citizen through his adoptive US citizen parents - hence, he has a certificate of citizenship.

This young person is already a US citizen. The adoption paperwork is not needed.

Yes, now I get it which may also be why a state would issue a birth certificate. I just checked the USCIS website and the filing fee for the form to get another copy of the certificate of citizenship is $555.

You also need a notarized document authorizing you to have him treated medically. In addition, be sure to take perscriptions for and drugs that he might be taking. Basically, what you need is whatever is necessary for you to act as his parent while on the cruise.

DON

My son is bringing a friend with us on our cruise this Sunday. He is 17 and was internationally adopted. He does not have a passport, but does have a US issued birth certificate and a certificate of citizenship. He also has his state ID. Will this be enough documentation to travel with? According to Carnival’s website, it appears he only needs the government issued birth certificate, but when I do a search on cruise critic, I’m getting conflicting experiences... anyone have recent first hand experience? Also can these documents be copies or do they have to be originals? Is the adoption paperwork needed? Thanks

Just a question -

You say "According to Carnival’s website, it appears he only needs the government issued birth certificate,"

Is this information only for if he's traveling with his parents?

Some cruise lines require a passport for minor children, if they're are not traveling with their parents or guardians, even if not required if they are traveling with their parents/guardian.

That's the question you need to ask Carnival.

He is a US citizen. All he needs are a birth certificate and a photo ID issued by a state. It won't hurt to bring a copy of his citizen ship papers but it is probably not required. He also needs a letter from his parents that it is OK to leave the country with you and that you can consent to medical treatment.

He is a US citizen. All he needs are a birth certificate and a photo ID issued by a state. It won't hurt to bring a copy of his citizen ship papers but it is probably not required. He also needs a letter from his parents that it is OK to leave the country with you and that you can consent to medical treatment.

Do you have first hand experience with an internationally adopted child cruising on Carnival NOT with his parents?