What is the latest you can get to the port on embarkation day?

Hoosier-Cruiser

Believe me, it’s not what I want to do. Unfortunately, it may be what we have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok. Let's do the math. 1200 miles divided by an average speed of 70 MPH equals 17.14 hours of driving time. Brushing aside "Murphy's Law" and no "what if's", if you leave at 8PM the night before, you'd reach your destination at estimated 1:30PM the following day, plus or minus one hour (pit stop, etc.)

Whew - cutting it too close for the "what ifs".

Not that I would plan on doing it on purpose but we've boarded a few minutes prior to them closing the ships outside door.

Not a great experience to say the least.

We had a nail biter on a cruise out of Barbados. We were the last to board. Delta cancelled ALL flights to Barbados at the last minute for our pre-cruise vacation. Had to fly in the day of the cruise. Sat on the tarmac in Washington for what seemed like forever and we barely made our connecting flight. Princess reps grabbed a taxi for us at the airport and it was one of the wildest car rides in my life.

Is it really worth this much stress? Find a way to make the transportation work sensibly...fly? Or drive in a lot earlier. Depending on your dates, Southwest has non-stop flights as cheap as $97 from Indy to FLL, which includes all taxes and up to 2 pieces of luggage per person. That sounds like a whole lot better option to me, even factoring in parking fees and whatever distance you are from Indy.

Ok. Let's do the math. 1200 miles divided by an average speed of 70 MPH equals 17.14 hours of driving time. Brushing aside "Murphy's Law" and no "what if's", if you leave at 8PM the night before, you'd reach your destination at estimated 1:30PM the following day, plus or minus one hour (pit stop, etc.)

Whew - cutting it too close for the "what ifs".

You are being generous @ 70MPH. I agree cutting it way too close.

If you figure it at an average speed of 60 MPH that is 20 hours of driving. With that being stated you would have to leave by 6pm the previous day.

Myself, I would take a flight that night and stay in the airport or a hotel. Not sure where you are flying from.

DH and I take flights from PHX to LA on the same day of the cruise however we are usually on a 6 or 7 am flight and are in LA by 9am. I do not like doing this however because we both still work and we take long cruises (more than 10 days) it is what we have to do. We have done this 5 times and it works for us even though MY stomach is nervous until we land in LA.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Not sure where you are flying from.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Poster lists them as being in Indiana. Depending on WHERE in the state, the closest airport could be Chicago (groan), Indy, or Louisville....possibly others. Southwest has non-stops from each of these locations.

I have reoccurring nightmares about missing the ship. I always get to the embarkation city at least one day before, usually two. That gives me time to unwind over the stress of travelling and to ensure that I've allowed time for flight delays or lost luggage. I cannot imagine driving through the night, and even if I were to make it in time, I'd be exhausted. Not my way of a fun start to a cruise.

1) Does this plan take into account time zone change? We once had a panicked drive because we forgot!

2) Is the performance really an important one? Kids won't be ruined if parents put their needs first once in a while.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the advice everyone. While I was trying desperately to find a way to make it work, the realization that one issue like a flat tire would have us miss the ship was enough to make up our mind.

We arranged for several friends to go to the performance to support our kids and FaceTime the live event and send us videos and for saving.

It pains us to miss the event, as it is the last one before my daughter graduates high school in the spring, but with friends there to support her, we realized that potentially missing the ship to see her 3-4 minute monologue doesn’t make sense.

Thanks again for all the advice. It helped let our heads outweigh our hearts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With communications being so marvelous these days, you’ll still be able to hear and see your daughter, and talk to her afterward.

It will make such a difference in your anticipation of the cruise!

Hoosier Cruiser,

Have you thought of going to a rehearsal? Tell the teacher in charge that you will not be able to make the performance and could you see a rehearsal.

Genius! Why didn’t I think of that!!

• 1 month later...

I am glad that you made the wise decision to leave earlier and let friends make the night special for your daughter.  If you had insisted on driving, I would have suggested that you transfer to the FL Turnpike at Port St. Lucie.  Although anything can happen on any road,  traffic in mid-afternoon is generally lighter on the turnpike.