On Breakaway now, course change.

neilkear

On 10/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, fstuff1 said:

what happened with the 5 passengers?

how did they get hurt?

what do you mean the barge was in Gem's spot?

and there's no central traffic control for the harbor??

On our only At Sea day we were going through a storm with heavy winds, rain, and waves on our way to Canada. Most of the passengers were over the age of 65+. So, one man fell and split his head open, one woman fell and cut open her arm, and another lady fell and hit her head and she ended up having a seizure. When we were in Acadia National Park it was cold and wet. On the rocks a lady slipped and twisted and hurt her ankle.  The fifth person didn't even make it on the ship before leaving NY. He booked the cruise, got to Pier 88 NY and realized he may miss the world series, so to ensure he would't miss any part of it he left and never boarded the ship. When we returned to Pier 88 we were sitting on the Hudson River for about 45 min when the cruise director came on an announced a barge was parked in our spot and wouldn't move. So, it took another 45 minutes for the port workers to move things around to the area we ended up pulling into. Then it took time for the ship to pull into the new spot. A lot of passengers were upset, but at least it wasn't like what the people experienced on the Breakaway.

1 hour ago, OBSESSIVEWORLDTRAVELER said:

On our only At Sea day we were going through a storm with heavy winds, rain, and waves on our way to Canada. Most of the passengers were over the age of 65+. So, one man fell and split his head open, one woman fell and cut open her arm, and another lady fell and hit her head and she ended up having a seizure. When we were in Acadia National Park it was cold and wet. On the rocks a lady slipped and twisted and hurt her ankle.  The fifth person didn't even make it on the ship before leaving NY. He booked the cruise, got to Pier 88 NY and realized he may miss the world series, so to ensure he would't miss any part of it he left and never boarded the ship. When we returned to Pier 88 we were sitting on the Hudson River for about 45 min when the cruise director came on an announced a barge was parked in our spot and wouldn't move. So, it took another 45 minutes for the port workers to move things around to the area we ended up pulling into. Then it took time for the ship to pull into the new spot. A lot of passengers were upset, but at least it wasn't like what the people experienced on the Breakaway.

I was also on the Gem !!  It was absolutely the worst weather and longest  and most frustrating disembarking  I ever experienced!   I do know none of this was anyone's fault, except Mother Nature, but it was still not a great way to end a cruise.  I thought all would be better once we FINALLY docked, but with no porters available, it was very difficult (esp being solo) to manage my luggage (almost fell twice) and then find out they still wanted car service pax  to cross the street and wait for pick up --in the middle of a Northeaster!   (ps--I got on the elevator and called my car service to pick me up upstairs!--I am no fool ! )

Edited by jaja

• 2 weeks later...

It was sort of an awful last day, having everything close so early and not knowing when we’d finally get to disembark. I’m sure it was also frustrating for those waiting to get on. I do feel like the last two days were soort of a mess in general since they announced we wouldn’t be into New York on time and lines to use the phones and internet to make alternative travel plans were outrageously long. By the time we finally got off on Saturday night it was almost midnight, didn’t get to the hotel until after midnight and didn’t get to sleep till after one am, had to follow that with a 6am flight.. not how we’d envisioned the end of our vacation, but I suppose there wasn’t much to be done about it. 

I only wish they had keep service going throughout the day. Even if they had canceled drink packages at least we could have gotten a glass of water without having to go all the way up to the buffet.

On 10/25/2018 at 5:16 AM, neilkear said:

We left Tortola an hour early yesterday and according to the ship information we are heading due east as opposed to northwest. I understand a tropical depression is forming and the ship is taking evasive actions to get closer to the East Coast and stay clear of the storm. My question to the more nautically informed members of CC: does this detour along with the predicted storm for NYC on Saturday mean an even later arrival time back to NYC? Our published arrival was already late at 10am.

Good luck.  Our cruise in October ran into a Nor'Easter and we were over 12 hours late getting into port in New York.  Majority of people missed their flights and had to rebook new ones while on the ship.  It cost me an additonal $600 but people in Europe were asked to pay $5000.