On Breakaway now, course change.

neilkear

We left Tortola an hour early yesterday and according to the ship information we are heading due east as opposed to northwest. I understand a tropical depression is forming and the ship is taking evasive actions to get closer to the East Coast and stay clear of the storm. My question to the more nautically informed members of CC: does this detour along with the predicted storm for NYC on Saturday mean an even later arrival time back to NYC? Our published arrival was already late at 10am.

16 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Seems like the best informed people to ask that question to would be one of the ships officers or guest services.

They claim not to know, at this time.

Edited by neilkear

Following - that was forecasted to be a possible Nor-Easter this weekend for the NE area, from what's left of Hurricane Michael down in the Gulf/Mexico ...

the worst for NYC is this Saturday, heavy rain & wind. 

Best I can tell, checking the different sources - brace for some discomfort tomorrow coming up along the coast/away from the coast - whichever course/heading the captain & officers on the bridge plotted for a best way to everyone safely home to NY - it doesn't look like sea conditions / waves would be bad or very bad, at least not today.  

Follow this link as I assume you have satellite WiFi/internet access on the ship and can follow along - this thread/link on CC might give you the latest ... PelicanBill is pretty good with explaining in simple terms of what's ahead, and he & others are waiting for the BA to come back as they sail out Saturday for San Juan/Carib. 

Take a look at your ship's navigational channel, it should display your speed & heading, and relative position to nearby ports - although I don't recall the ETA is calculated & shown, only distance to the next port ... it's simple to estimate your arrival time once you figure it out. 

Delays in arrival is possible depending on tide, currents, wind & other factors - tomorrow, probably know & see more updated maritime forecast in the next 24 hours. 

Probably expect a rough day at sea for anything outdoors, windy & maybe wet - access to the pool deck & Waterfront might be closed for safety reasons, so enjoy the sunshine today.  We are sailing out on Sunday & watching the next storm, with a chance of heading toward Bermuda as well. 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Then there is your answer.  If the people in charge of steering the ship don't know due to possible weather conditions, how would we know?

Really?  If you don't know, don't answer.  Condescension is unnecessary and has no place in these forums.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Use Windy.com to get a fairly accurate prediction of the weather to come.  It has both ECMWF and GFS models.  Taking a quick peek myself, it looks like NYC will be getting the peak of the storm around 4am-2pm on Saturday.  Both models are similar. 

10 minutes ago, PRgymnast said:

Use Windy.com to get a fairly accurate prediction of the weather to come.  It has both ECMWF and GFS models.  Taking a quick peek myself, it looks like NYC will be getting the peak of the storm around 4am-2pm on Saturday.  Both models are similar. 

Thats a pretty cool website.

Here's a little more from the AccuWeather's updated forecast -

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/powerful-winterlike-storm-to-unload-soaking-rain-snow-in-northeastern-us/70006427

Windy has an App, I have it pre-installed in both iOS & Android.  Looked like ships heading toward NY this weekend are going to face strong wind & gust, diagonal across the ship's heading.  Not seeing huge or large waves in the region, yet but expect plenty of "movement" as I'm sure ship will navigate the best course to minimize discomfort for the passengers.

Those prone to motion sickness, probably should consider starting their OTC meds or alternate remedy of choice.  

24 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Here's a little more from the AccuWeather's updated forecast -

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/powerful-winterlike-storm-to-unload-soaking-rain-snow-in-northeastern-us/70006427

Windy has an App, I have it pre-installed in both iOS & Android.  Looked like ships heading toward NY this weekend are going to face strong wind & gust, diagonal across the ship's heading.  Not seeing huge or large waves in the region, yet but expect plenty of "movement" as I'm sure ship will navigate the best course to minimize discomfort for the passengers.

Those prone to motion sickness, probably should consider starting their OTC meds or alternate remedy of choice.  

Mking8288 you are one of the people I do listen to on these boards. This quoted post and your previous one are good examples of the ‘information’ you give as opposed to smart remarks and guesses, thank you! At a little after 9 this morning we made a turn back to a northerly heading, approx. a hundred miles or so west of the Bahamas. I think you are right in that things will start to get a little rocky tomorrow. I did get a chance to ask the Hotel Director About our NYC arrival and he said that they are waiting on the Captain’s decision on that but it’s possible we could be ‘delayed’. We’ll see!!!

The Captain just announced that we will not arrive in NYC until between 5 and 7:30 Saturday evening. He said it was due to a medical emergency, which at this point I can't understand. How could an emergency today effect docking on Saturday. Mking8288 if you have a way to notify pelicanbill do so, I can only imagine what the repercussions will be to boarding.

50 minutes ago, neilkear said:

The Captain just announced that we will not arrive in NYC until between 5 and 7:30 Saturday evening. He said it was due to a medical emergency, which at this point I can't understand. How could an emergency today effect docking on Saturday. Mking8288 if you have a way to notify pelicanbill do so, I can only imagine what the repercussions will be to boarding.

most likely they might have to alter course towards land and have cost guard do a medevac  either helicopter or small board. I think cost guard has a maximum range of about 200 nautical miles from land, which is about where international waters beings. 

Edited by shof515

1 hour ago, neilkear said:

The Captain just announced that we will not arrive in NYC until between 5 and 7:30 Saturday evening ... due to a medical emergency ... if you have a way to notify pelicanbill do so, I can only imagine what the repercussions will be to boarding.

Affirmative - will do & give him and their Roll Call a heads-up on this ... I am thinking that someone is probably reading this or already did so.  Bill is good with advice & opinions on weather/storm - to get him to summarize & post update for everyone.  (OK - I posted & cross-linked this directly on BA's Roll Call for this weekend, words beginning to spread around)

Ugh, this isn't good for most but let's hope for the best & life saving care for the patient onboard.  I'm going to see if I can find the BA on Marinetraffic shortly - that's another one of my favorite cruise App.   Ship probably going max speed toward the FL coastline to meet up as the USCG dispatch one of their medium or long-range specialized chopter for a medevac.  

Well, if the ship is delayed further - I will waive as we are going to be at Pier 88 this Sunday morning, it's really not going to be good - folks on our Roll Call facing a wet travel day this weekend.  

Edited by mking8288

8 minutes ago, delaware32 said:

We are on the Breakaway repo  .  We just got a call from NCL . We are not to be to the pier until 7 :00 pm. $75 obc.

$75 per person or per cabin, also we have a really  crummy cabin so maybe they wont call us, what type of cabin do you have?  thanks in advance for your help

Edited by Newleno

45 minutes ago, Newleno said:

$75 per person or per cabin, also we have a really  crummy cabin so maybe they wont call us, what type of cabin do you have?  thanks in advance for your help

They didn’t say but I am guessing per cabin.  We are in the Haven and it is $75.  They said for lunch and dinner since we can’t be on the ship.  $75 for lunch and dinner in NYC?  Haha.  I think they said we could drop our luggage off at the pier.  That doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.  Plus expensive taxi to the pier.  I think we will try to get a late checkout or leave our luggage with the bellman at our hotel.  I’m sure it will all work out,  it not a very good start to our cruise.  And think of all the returning passengers who will have to rebook their flights!  What a mess!

7 minutes ago, WhenIsOurNextCruise said:

They didn’t say but I am guessing per cabin.  We are in the Haven and it is $75.  They said for lunch and dinner since we can’t be on the ship.  $75 for lunch and dinner in NYC?  Haha.  I think they said we could drop our luggage off at the pier.  That doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.  Plus expensive taxi to the pier.  I think we will try to get a late checkout or leave our luggage with the bellman at our hotel.  I’m sure it will all work out,  it not a very good start to our cruise.  And think of all the returning passengers who will have to rebook their flights!  What a mess!

yeah $75 for lunch, dinner, additional transportation, perhaps another hotel in New York?,  for two people and we get $75?  I understand things happen  but NCL you got to make this right!

Edited by Newleno