On Breakaway now, course change.

neilkear

2 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I feel sorry for the poor crew dealing with this, and soon anew shipload of unhappy campers...

I will go out of my way to treat them kindly.....

I agree, but I don't understand why NCL doesn't do anything to try to keep the guests happy.  They haven't even offered any food in hours.  This is my parents' second time with delays with NCL (the last was much worse - flying home from Barbados) and the communication is extremely poor.  They could just offer some finger food and maybe a movie or something, it wouldn't be too difficult.  But yes, I definitely feel bad for the crew as well!

I am sailing on Breakaway today/tonight (hopefully). The delay is not ideal but as a weekly air travel for work, I think you just have to take it in stride. I love NYC but it’s been a terrible day/night to be “homeless”. I am dreading heading over to the pier because I cannot imagine how it’s going to be anything other than a cluster. Unhappy guests leaving, unhappy guests coming on and a tired crew. The 4AM emergency drill should be a treat. 

6 minutes ago, FrequentFlyKid said:

I am sailing on Breakaway today/tonight (hopefully). The delay is not ideal but as a weekly air travel for work, I think you just have to take it in stride. I love NYC but it’s been a terrible day/night to be “homeless”. I am dreading heading over to the pier because I cannot imagine how it’s going to be anything other than a cluster. Unhappy guests leaving, unhappy guests coming on and a tired crew. The 4AM emergency drill should be a treat. 

See you onboard but hope you're joking about muster.  Since they are allowed 24 hours in which to hold the drill, I expect it to be tomorrow morning.  Or I'm showing up in my nightgown.  Expect a lot of crew to be up till the wee hours.  The adventure continues before it's even begun!

My bet is that we overnight in New York, and leave early morning.  Not only will they have to do the pax exchange, but they have to load supplies for a two week journey - something they usually have 8 or more hours to complete.

Edited by daiseee

2 minutes ago, daiseee said:

My bet is that we overnight in New York, and leave early morning.  Not only will they have to do the pax exchange, but they have to load supplies for a two week journey - something they usually have 8 or more hours to complete.

im on the upcoming 15day cruise, and if they do that, i wish they tell us within the next hr before i leave my house!

You guys got me curious and I did a little research on SOLAS laws. You’re correct, muster drill must take place within 24 hours of embarkation while a safety briefing must take place immediately following embarkation. A safety briefing can be an announcement or literarture and does not include a physical gathering of all passengers. So I stand corrected, no 4AM muster drill required. 

I am not sure if NCL has a different policy. After Concordia, which hadn’t yet done its muster drill at the time of the accident, some lines have policies about doing it immediately upon embarkation. 

NCL did inform me by phone that the Care Team was dispatched from Miami today and is at the pier helping with both the deembarkation of the terminating cruise and embarkation of today’s sailing. 

be extra nice to the crew and realize that NCL cannot open food venues or activities without notice to the employees who need their downtime too

the ships crew that gets you on and off are working overtime with the problems so please don't complain until you have slept on it or waited 24 hours

• Like 1

Marinetraffic AIS data has the BA doing between 1 to 2 km off the Chelsea piers near W. 23th Street, which is typically another 15 minutes turning onto the pier - being that it's dark, tide & current & availability of tug boat and fuel barge might also come into play, even with the delays ... porter services & even CBP.  This is a nightmare for passengers, without a doubt, that nobody wished for or planned for, but.  Logistically, there's little chance that they can turn the ship around in 6 or 7 hours and sail out at 3 or 4 am - might as well wait till sunrise.  The Gem has sailed & already out to ship at this point.  

But, the Escape is in-bound now and we are going on her next, embarkation for us is being delayed by maybe 1 or 2 hours due to a scheduled USCG inspection in the morning.  

Oops - that's what I was afraid of, seeing latest posts from those onboard - not good.  Murphy's Law !

5 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

But, the Escape is in-bound now and we are going on her next, embarkation for us is being delayed by maybe 1 or 2 hours due to a scheduled USCG inspection in the morning.  

Oops - that's what I was afraid of, seeing latest posts from those onboard - not good.  Murphy's Law !

USCG inspection of what? the Escape?

I’ve been watching Breakaway’s progress all day during this nor’easter, both on the bridgecam, Port webcams and here on CC. The winds and rain here have created lots of problems including power outages, downed trees and flooding. 

The anchored medevac in the Harbor in such weather must have been quite a feat in itself. 

Hoping everyone onboard, waiting to board and crew the best. 

Good luck mking on sailing the Escape tomorrow. 

P.S. Looks like she’s finally docked. Whew!

~robin

Edited by meatball_nyc
Update from bridgecam

Just now, Fire Chief 2481 said:

I am on the BA now. We finally just docked. Hopefully we will disembark soon. NCL gave us access to phones and computers to to make arrangements. They closed the bars at 4pm, and no food available. Can wait to get off. 

Did they offer you any type of compensation for the delay?  What about paying for hotels for those that missed their flights?