Q: July 2019 cruiser with new Breast Cancer

duncmelsmom

22 hours ago, factotumdeb said:

I read this post and had to reply. I was diagnosed with HER2 positive breast cancer 12/16, my husband and I had already planned our 40th anniversary cruise, and did not get insurance, we both felt we were healthy at the time. Then life changed in a heartbeat. I talked to my oncologist and he said going away would be good for us and he was able to work my treatments around my vacation. I did end up getting travel insurance with a pre-existing condition, just in case. 

When I booked my cruise after being diagnosed with breast cancer (the one I said I booked right after my second chemo), we also carefully found a policy that allowed for prexisiting conditions.

Our policy allowed for the pre existing condition as the condition existed at the time of the cruise booking and that the diagnosis and treatment (drug changes) did not change for the six months before the date of the cruise. 

• Like 1

Wow, so many inspiring stories! I too am a cancer survivor (but a different kind), it was stage 3 and I had Radiation, three surgeries and Chemo and I have been in remission for 4 years. If you have a friend who can help I do have a suggestion: write down any and all questions you can think of and have your friend (NOT husband) look them up for you at first while you process everything that will happen to you, the reason I say this is because when you go onto ANY cancer site generically the answers are soooo very scary when the reality is/might be something different. I have a close friend with stage 4 breast cancer that actually crossed the brain barrier and she is still cruising with us 6 years later! She continues to be an inspiration to me and this was her suggestion for me because I kept calling her with questions and the answers online were worrisome at best. Take a deep breath and take it one step at a time, you got this!

Maybe I missed your sail date, but if you are not past the final payment date even if you paid it off you can still get insurance including pre-existing conditions.  Check Nationwide.  In fact, you can even buy this even after final payment is due.

Good luck and hope everything works out well for you.

You have received the information you needed about your cruise and some good advice from others.

I just wanted to add my wishes for a positive outcome and hope that you are on that cruise.  You will be in our prayers.

• Like 1

Tell your doctors your cruise plans as soon as they start talking about treatments. They will work around your vacation plans. 

In my mom's case they went the extra mile when she had problems the month prior to the cruise. They all guaranteed she's make the boat. And she did. It was just 5 days after she had a two week hospital stay. We wheeled her in the ship and she felt so good by the end she walked off. 

There's healing properties in the salty air. 

Y'all are so wonderfully supportive!  Thanks for the great advice.

I don't know if you know an answer to this, but we paid for the cruise in full, including a Cheers Package.  Do you think I can get a credit on the Cheers Package?  We aren't drinking at all now; trying to get my body ready for all of the treatments.  I have triple negative Breast Cancer.  

When I went thru my breast cancer, I had chemo every 3 weeks for 18 months.  We scheduled our Hawaiian trip for the three weeks in between treatments after I went from 3 drugs to 2 (and started to get my hair back).  I did have chemo brain and a lot of my memories are from pictures and stories told by the friends we went with, but I know it was a wonderful trip and I needed it badly.  A little joy!  I wouldn't cancel until you know what the complete diagnosis is and the treatment plan.  And remember, YOU are in charge.  Do your research so that you know what they are talking about and ask lots of questions.  I learned a lot . . . like they even have some leeway in scheduling your treatments.  But it will all depend on what you get and how you feel.  I wish you the best!  I am 10 years cancer free!!!!

• Like 1

In answer to your last question about Cheers, you can cancel with no penalty as long as it’s before final payment is due. It sounds like you know now that even if you go on the cruise you wouldn’t want Cheers so you may just want to go ahead and cancel that now while you decide about the cruise. 

Good luck with everything and happy anniversary!

• Like 1

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July of 2016. We had a cruise booked for the end of September of that year. My cancer was caught very early, and the only treatment I needed was a bilateral mastectomy. I had 2 requests of my surgeon, and he fulfilled them both. Request 1 was to just get rid of the cancer. Request 2 was to get me healthy enough soon enough to make that cruise. Stepping onto the Miracle-what a perfect name!-was the best medicine of all!  I wish you a smooth path on your journey and for you to know that you are not alone. So many advances have been made with treatments for cancer and you will benefit from them all!

• Like 1