Coolest Sail Away From a Cruise Port

Oakman58

55 minutes ago, tombec1 said:

In New York, the locals give you the finger... 

* I was born and raised in NY, and I'm kidding about the sendoff, btw. :classic_biggrin:

Hah, I live in a town with some of the most whacko activists in the state. They'd offer up a nice protest riot for a cruise ship. 

• 1 month later...

I've posted about this before, and even got a story about it IMG_1050.thumb.JPG.701ed010d66f97168464889b8d26f98c.JPGpublished on the Princess web site, but the best one we had was leaving Tauranga, New Zealand.

We were on the first ship to return to Tauranga after 9/11.  When we arrived, there seemed to be an awful lot of people on the dock, but there was a ferry landing there so I just thought maybe that was it.

But when we left, there were literally thousands of people on the dock and lining the hills around the port, all waving and yelling, "Thanks for coming."  There were also a lot of small boats that followed us out of the port.  It was all very emotional.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

I've posted about this before, and even got a story about it IMG_1050.thumb.JPG.701ed010d66f97168464889b8d26f98c.JPGpublished on the Princess web site, but the best one we had was leaving Tauranga, New Zealand.

We were on the first ship to return to Tauranga after 9/11.  When we arrived, there seemed to be an awful lot of people on the dock, but there was a ferry landing there so I just thought maybe that was it.

But when we left, there were literally thousands of people on the dock and lining the hills around the port, all waving and yelling, "Thanks for coming."  There were also a lot of small boats that followed us out of the port.  It was all very emotional.

That's truly a WOW moment.  Thanks for sharing the experience and the photo.

There are many great sail aways. Geiranger out of the fjord is great. Or I like Hamburg with the first hours at the river Elbe. 

One thing i‘m missing every time at NCL is a great Sail away song at every port. First sail away is a party, at the others nothing. If you like you can search at YouTube Aida sail away song ( can’t post a link at the moment) , if you stand at deck, the

music starts and you will sail away that is a complete other feeling then without a song.  That song is coming at every port. Missing such a song at NCL. 

Edited by Steff79

On 10/29/2018 at 7:15 PM, tombec1 said:

In New York, the locals give you the finger... 

* I was born and raised in NY, and I'm kidding about the sendoff, btw. :classic_biggrin:

New York will always be my favorite departure, not because of anything people on shore do, but because the ship passes the Statue of Liberty.

7 hours ago, gooch47 said:

This is so very special!

Thanks so much for sharing the photo AND the back story.

GC