Brutal weather Civitavecchia

audobon_tx

13 hours ago, Sleep7 said:

Hi Belfastman! 

Did the weather improve?  What port will you be at tomorrow?:classic_smile:

Departed at 8.45am on route to Livorno. Both Olbia and Bastia have been dropped from the schedule. We now have a day at sea but at least it is bright and mostly sunny.

Whilst Pursuit was docked in Civitavecchia I saw Seabourn Odyssey was cruising up the coast past her. It's worth going to the Seabourn board and having a look at the Odyssey live from thread for the story of how bad the seas were.   A few photos. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

33 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Whilst Pursuit was docked in Civitavecchia I saw Seabourn Odyssey was cruising up the coast past her. It's worth going to the Seabourn board and having a look at the Odyssey live from thread for the story of how bad the seas were.   A few photos. 

Phil 

Interesting.  Also interesting that they ran tenders in Amalfi, where they had an accident,  allegedly and at least partially because Pursuit had been doing so.  But we were in a better location and they were trying to land on an exposed quay.

11 minutes ago, flyingshoes said:

Interesting.  Also interesting that they ran tenders in Amalfi, where they had an accident,  allegedly and at least partially because Pursuit had been doing so.  But we were in a better location and they were trying to land on an exposed quay.

There are always two sides to every story.  Thanks for the extra detail.  I have to say that when I read the Odyssey original poster's thread on the other board I felt they were being rather unfair in what they expected Seabourn to do, considering the weather conditions at the time although further posts on that thread seem to show an acceptance of how bad it really was.  For Celebrity Constellation to take shelter relatively close to their debarkation/embarkation point shows how bad it was.  Notwithstanding the other issue it had with breaking free and striking another ship when 'sheltered'!

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

21 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There are always two sides to every story.  Thanks for the extra detail.  I have to say that when I read the Odyssey original poster's thread on the other board I felt they were being rather unfair in what they expected Seabourn to do, considering the weather conditions at the time although further posts on that thread seem to show an acceptance of how bad it really was.  For Celebrity Constellation to take shelter relatively close to their debarkation/embarkation point shows how bad it was.  Notwithstanding the other issue it had with breaking free and striking another ship when 'sheltered'!

Phil

It was pretty exciting when the stern lines broke and we weather-vaned around the bow lines until they were released.  We then drifted for awhile before the tugs were engaged.  Fortunately we were the only ship on our quay.

On the sail away this morning Regent Explorer was still docked.  A large dent in the hull on the port side adjacent to the fan tail was visible.  Don't know whether this fender-bender was storm related.

More storm news: Monaco port was damaged and is currently closed to new marine traffic.  So we are going to Nice instead.  Personally this is great as we prefer Nice.  Azamara is putting on shuttles to Monte Carlo from Nice and offering to reimburse passengers for train fares.  A great cruise line.

Wow!  We just booked a cruise on Celebrity the other day, and I'm looking at trip insurance.  In my search I saw cruise-specific policies; we've always purchased "regular' travel insurance.  I guess this is an example of when a cruise-specific policy that provides for compensation for changed itineraries and missed ports would be good to have.

Edited by hiccups

There is always someone concerned about money.   I would guess if the cruise line was refunded the port fees than you would also receive a refund.   I wonder if a more expensive port was used if you would need to pay extra?   In addition, remaining in a port an extra day would certainly require an additional charge.

Currently on Regent Seven Seas Voyager and am hearing stories about Azamara.  Apparently there was a fear of it floating into the Voyager.  The concern was such that the Captain had to make announcement that the Voyager could be hit by the Azamara ship.  Thankfully a tug boat (or two) insured that a collision did not happen.  Very happy that neither ship had damage.