ncl dawn

pasta1

I had avoided the Dawn always because she wasn't a Jewel class ship with a Great Outdoors and Spinnaker lounge.  However, did a Bermuda cruise on her recently.  Love the Dawn.  She is a beautiful ship and has a wonderful crew.  I'd sail her again anytime.  

I just got off the Dawn and enjoyed the ship.  With NCL I have only had opportunity to sail on the Gem and the Dawn.  I liked the atrium on the Gem better but otherwise I thought both ships were fine.  

The DAWN is not the floating amusement park (-AWAY class) ship you are looking for !

She is a nice sufficiently sized ship for both port call cruising and the multi-day sea day cruising.

Recently off of my 2nd B2B Boston Quebec Boston cruise and previously a 7 day Western

Caribbean cruise - total 5 cruise legs.

Haven't been on a -AWAY class ship yet but I do like the DAWN being a more suitable ship for

the (senior) adult cruiser in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

I had avoided the Dawn always because she wasn't a Jewel class ship with a Great Outdoors and Spinnaker lounge.  However, did a Bermuda cruise on her recently.  Love the Dawn.  She is a beautiful ship and has a wonderful crew.  I'd sail her again anytime.  

Our first NCL cruise was on Dawn, and this was also DH's first cruise (finally!!).

We both loved it, and it was especially great that *he* loved it!

We kept reading here about the lack of the Spinnaker Lounge or the Great Outdoors.

Well, we had one of those new suites that "used to be" the Spinnaker Lounge.  Our current avatar is of our feet while we were lying in bed in one of the outer DOS just above the Bridge.  We LOVED those full floor-to-ceiling windows, that went all around, including the little "flying buttress" (our name for the part that sticks out over the "wings" of the Bridge) so we could not only see straight ahead just like the Captain, but also down the side of the ship.

And then we went on the Pearl.

Aha!  We "got it".  That Spinnaker Lounge that had been chopped up for those suites?  It was wonderful.

Ditto the Great Outdoors, aft.

Next, we were on the Sun, where we had the best suite ever, an OS, again with a terrific forward view (including wide balcony), and if ever there was a place for that, it was definitely Alaska!

So although *we* got to use that nice forward view on Dawn, that meant that others - almost everyone else on the ship - lost the great view of that big Spinnaker Lounge.

On the Sun, the forward suites did NOT take away from the great observation lounge above, which was the best combo.

For sailing where the "view" is important, not having that forward lounge with great views on 3 sides would not be ideal.  And although not having that Great Outdoors wouldn't be quite so important, it was a terrific place for sailaways.

Each ship has pros and cons, but we'd suggest thinking about whether the view from a forward lounge is important for your itinerary.

GC